BadAmmoWitch

Any foreigners ever drive in the Philippines?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We drove but it was from Legazpi to to the province and back for a week. I never had any issues with being stopped.

But the traffic was crazy, I don't see how there is any straight sheet metal on ANY vehicle. 

Very few if any traffic signals at any intersections, other than major ones in town. The big buses must be driven by ex kamikaze pilots because they drive them like they are sports cars.

Don't even get me started on scooter drivers. Just when you think you've gotten ahead of all of them, you have to stop and they catch back up and pull in front, beside... hell, they would go between you and other cars.

And don't forget, a 2 lane road can be occupied by at least 3 maybe 4 cars.... just blow the horn. 

10 hours ago, B_J said:

I've never driven in the Philippines and I plan to keep it that way.  If we're just going somewhere in town, we grab a trike.  If we're traveling, we hire a driver.  Either way, I just sit back and relax.

For visiting, that is best!  When I decided to move to the Philippines, I knew I had to drive because I have loved driving my whole life.  So that is a big reason I chose to live in Subic Bay Freeport.  No trikes or jeepneys, and the traffic laws are somewhat enforced.  Enforcement does have some "traps" for tourists, but they let you go if you are a resident.  The "traps" are legit and enforce actual laws that are never enforced else where.  Not stopping at stop signs, rolling stop signs, following closely behind the car in front of you to keep the right of way (I call that "pulling a train"), etc. I have heard they will take the fine directly and it is around p300.  I never paid one.  Pulled over 3 times here in 10 years.  2 times were super minor but legit, and one time was completely made up.  Since I am a resident they let me go after checking DL.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, AlaMike said:

The big buses must be driven by ex kamikaze pilots because they drive them like they are sports cars.

Last time I was there, I told my fiancé I wanted to get around like the locals do in Manila, so we rode the MRT, a city bus and a jeepney that day. The city bus was INSANE. First of all, they put 3 seats where normally would only be 2 seats, so the actual seat was maybe 12 inches wide. I was sitting sideways between my fiancé and a guy on the window seat. They had a television mounted up at the front between the driver and the door. I could see in the drivers mirror that he was watching (and yelling at) the volleyball game more than he was watching the road in super heavy traffic. How he didn't get us into an accident I have no idea. Between the constant starting and stopping, being packed in like sardines and the heat of all the bodies in there I almost didn't make it without losing my lunch.

7 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

For visiting, that is best!  When I decided to move to the Philippines, I knew I had to drive because I have loved driving my whole life.  So that is a big reason I chose to live in Subic Bay Freeport.  No trikes or jeepneys, and the traffic laws are somewhat enforced.  Enforcement does have some "traps" for tourists, but they let you go if you are a resident.  The "traps" are legit and enforce actual laws that are never enforced else where.  Not stopping at stop signs, rolling stop signs, following closely behind the car in front of you to keep the right of way (I call that "pulling a train"), etc. I have heard they will take the fine directly and it is around p300.  I never paid one.  Pulled over 3 times here in 10 years.  2 times were super minor but legit, and one time was completely made up.  Since I am a resident they let me go after checking DL.

Yeah, that makes sense.  But where we're planning on living in a few years, it's really not going to be necessary for me to drive.  It's a relatively small city ( we do have a Jollibee and a Dunkin' Donuts) so I can easily get around by trike.  If we want to travel to Davao or another major city, we'll still probably hire a driver.  Luckily, my sister-in-law married someone who is a driver, so he'll always be there to drive us in his van if we want to go somewhere.

My goal when we move over there is to build a house with a front porch.  All I want to do is sit on the front porch, watch the world go by, and be happy.

1 hour ago, B_J said:

Yeah, that makes sense.  But where we're planning on living in a few years, it's really not going to be necessary for me to drive.  It's a relatively small city ( we do have a Jollibee and a Dunkin' Donuts) so I can easily get around by trike.  If we want to travel to Davao or another major city, we'll still probably hire a driver.  Luckily, my sister-in-law married someone who is a driver, so he'll always be there to drive us in his van if we want to go somewhere.

My goal when we move over there is to build a house with a front porch.  All I want to do is sit on the front porch, watch the world go by, and be happy.

We use a van and driver once in a while, mainly for NAIA.  It used to be p4500 one way Subic to NAIA but now it is p5500 all in with tolls and gas.  My night vision is getting worse so I will probably have to reduce night driving in the coming years, and hire a driver for our car.  I think I can hire a driver for p500-600 a day plus meals.

Night driving is another hazard here.  Many drivers leave their brights on all the time or have aftermarket lights that are blinding.  No enforcement of those laws.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

4 hours ago, B_J said:

We already have our plans drawn up....mirror front and back porches. You and I have the same idea of bliss...

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

On 5/17/2022 at 2:31 PM, B_J said:

I've never driven in the Philippines and I plan to keep it that way.  If we're just going somewhere in town, we grab a trike.  If we're traveling, we hire a driver.  Either way, I just sit back and relax.

I never understood a person not wanting to drive in the Philippines, I can see maybe Manila with all the traffic but anywhere else is cake

2 hours ago, Palawan said:

I never understood a person not wanting to drive in the Philippines, I can see maybe Manila with all the traffic but anywhere else is cake

It has nothing to do with the difficulty of driving,  it's about the comfort of not driving.  I just sit back, relax, and I still end up where I want to be.  

On 5/17/2022 at 9:31 AM, B_J said:

100% me.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, B_J said:

It has nothing to do with the difficulty of driving,  it's about the comfort of not driving.  I just sit back, relax, and I still end up where I want to be.  

I grew up in the Philippines and never drove when I was there. I've been here in the US for 21 years and I do not see myself driving there! Drivers are hella crazy and do not follow traffic rules. I have gone home a handful of times since being here and I swear I was having a nervous breakdown even when I was a passenger! LOL! Whether it's Manila or the province I will not attempt to drive back there!

On 5/21/2022 at 3:45 PM, B_J said:

See it's much different for me.  First of all when I want to go somewhere I want to jump in a car or on a motorbike and go.  I am tall and no way am I getting in a trike or jeepney and I find many of the taxi too small, I make they pull up the passenger seat so I can stretch my legs if I take a taxi or grab at the airport. 

I like to have my personal freedom and not sit around and wait for someone to fetch me, plus I trust my driving much more than someone elses.

On 5/16/2022 at 8:45 PM, seekingthetruth said:

Why not Pampanga?  We spend quite a bit of time there and are considering moving to Angeles.

I have never been to Pampanga, that is why I haven't driven there so I could not share with the other person my experience.  

On 5/17/2022 at 7:26 PM, AlaMike said:

We drove but it was from Legazpi to to the province and back for a week. I never had any issues with being stopped.

But the traffic was crazy, I don't see how there is any straight sheet metal on ANY vehicle. 

Very few if any traffic signals at any intersections, other than major ones in town. The big buses must be driven by ex kamikaze pilots because they drive them like they are sports cars.

Don't even get me started on scooter drivers. Just when you think you've gotten ahead of all of them, you have to stop and they catch back up and pull in front, beside... hell, they would go between you and other cars.

And don't forget, a 2 lane road can be occupied by at least 3 maybe 4 cars.... just blow the horn. 

Yep, it is too confusing to have road rage))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.