Pleasework89

Airport

18 posts in this topic

Has anyone recently gotten their visa and left the country? I am hearing some scary stuff about passports being confiscated and green cards torn up. Any recent departures with positive experiences? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pleasework89 said:

I am hearing some scary stuff about passports being confiscated and green cards torn up.

What news source is saying passports are being confiscated and green cards are being torn up?

Who is allegedly confiscating passports?

Who is allegedly tearing green cards?

5 hours ago, Pleasework89 said:

Has anyone recently gotten their visa and left the country? I am hearing some scary stuff about passports being confiscated and green cards torn up. Any recent departures with positive experiences? 

I've been hearing those rumors, too (for a few months now). But, everyone I know in China seems to be fine. Might just be an urban legend? 

If you check Visa Immigration Timelines you can see someone just arrived to the US in April... 

Spouse Timelines

Nothing from this year for K1s but I'm reading interviews were cancelled because of lockdown (and no interviews are available right now). 

But, that's just VJ timelines. 42 K1s were issued out of Guangzhou March, 2022. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Hi, if anyone wants to start a GZ Consulate K-1/CR1/IR1 chat group, please let me know.

[if any recommendations on what app to set up the chat group, please let me know as well.]

We can share information on the China situation, and watch for movement related to the consulate in GZ.

There is a lot of doom and gloom information posted on the Internet in recent months, and based on the situation in China (and no transparency), the current situation in China remains difficult to discern (my spouse is in lockdown in Shanghai, so I get my firsthand knowledge from my spouse).

It might be better if we just focus on our own firsthand knowledge (or secondhand knowledge from friends, friends of friends, family, etc).

My spouse entered US on K-1 in Feb 2022; we got married; spouse then returned to China in Feb 2022.

We now have an approved I-130 and are submitting documents to NVC.

I am constantly monitoring the situation in Shanghai/GZ/China.

Hopefully things will get better!

On 5/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, ZK8 said:

Hi, if anyone wants to start a GZ Consulate K-1/CR1/IR1 chat group, please let me know.

[if any recommendations on what app to set up the chat group, please let me know as well.]

We can share information on the China situation, and watch for movement related to the consulate in GZ.

There is a lot of doom and gloom information posted on the Internet in recent months, and based on the situation in China (and no transparency), the current situation in China remains difficult to discern (my spouse is in lockdown in Shanghai, so I get my firsthand knowledge from my spouse).

It might be better if we just focus on our own firsthand knowledge (or secondhand knowledge from friends, friends of friends, family, etc).

My spouse entered US on K-1 in Feb 2022; we got married; spouse then returned to China in Feb 2022.

Yes, I messaged you privately. A WeChat group is probably best. Send me your ID and I'll add you. Ryan.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The recent policy announcement which has triggered over-zealous border Immigrations Officers to cut up (Chinese) passports and/or green cards of Chinese citizens was published in Xinhua on May 12.

Xinhua Newspaper Network  >  Home  > Text

The boys (Winston and C-Milk) talk about restrictions on leaving the country - Chinese citizens have had their passports and/or green cards cut up.

I wouldn't think they would have a problem with a foreigner leaving the country, but I wouldn't suggest anyone do so with any expectation of being allowed back in.

This is their China Fact Chasers channel.

Overblown, as usual from these two, but I'm sure there are some facts behind it.

https://youtu.be/JhlmnyGFZlY

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Timeline
1 hour ago, RandyW said:

The recent policy announcement which has triggered over-zealous border Immigrations Officers to cut up (Chinese) passports and/or green cards of Chinese citizens was published in Xinhua on May 12.

Xinhua Newspaper Network  >  Home  > Text

The boys (Winston and C-Milk) talk about restrictions on leaving the country - Chinese citizens have had their passports and/or green cards cut up.

I wouldn't think they would have a problem with a foreigner leaving the country, but I wouldn't suggest anyone do so with any expectation of being allowed back in.

This is their China Fact Chasers channel.

Unfortunately the article does not appear to be in English and google translate just hangs.

So again, who is cutting up green cards?

I am currently here and paranoid as hell with everything going on and being essentially lockdown. Therefore I won't say anything for or against it. But I will say this...there is a lot of information out there on the "tearing of lpr cards" and other scary stories. The only thing I can tell you is that the foreign ministry has issued statements where they are officially NOT issuing passports indefinitely and travel is only for emergencies as well as government issued statements that the border control agents are not tearing up lpr cards.

I am lucky that I haven't any firsthand knowledge of some stories I hear from the local social media here because they are pretty sad and scary. I posted my OP to see if there were any out there with real life experience to either substantiate the tearing of lpr cards and exit bans or if they were allowed to leave. If you just want to assuage your curiosity, sorry but all I have to tell you is to do your own research online and make your own conclusions. 

I would really REALLY appreciate someone's firsthand knowledge on their experience leaving here NOW. That is why I posted this, to know what to prepare for, not to confuse people or start anything. I just want to know what to expect when trying to leave. Thank in advance for any first hand knowledge on your experience.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Unfortunately the article does not appear to be in English and google translate just hangs.

So again, who is cutting up green cards?

Immigration Officials when presented with documents supporting what is considered "non-essential travel".

I'll post the Google translate version shortly, but in the meantime, WATCH THE YOUTUBE video. They even mention someone engaged to marry an American citizen, which I assume means a K-1 visa holder was denied exiting at the Immigrations counter.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing

Timeline
4 minutes ago, RandyW said:

Immigration Officials when presented with documents supporting what is considered "non-essential travel".

American immigration officials?

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

American immigration officials?

WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO.

玉林,桂 resident

Timeline

The Google translate version of the Xinhua article. Remember that the interpretation of the Immigrations Official is what matters, NOT what YOU think it says. We are talking about Chinese Immigrations here - they are NOT ALLOWING people to leave the country for what is deemed NON=ESSENTIAL travel - THEIR discretion, not yours.

China News Service, May 12. According to the WeChat public account of the National Immigration Administration, on the afternoon of May 10, the party group of the National Immigration Administration held a special meeting to study and strengthen epidemic prevention and control. The entry-exit policy strictly restricts the non-essential outbound activities of Chinese citizens, and strictly approves and issues entry-exit documents.

The meeting called for the strict and practical implementation of various measures for epidemic prevention and control, and the consolidation and expansion of the results of the epidemic prevention and control strategy. It is necessary to fully cooperate to win the battle to defend Shanghai, strengthen the guidance of the Shanghai General Inspection Station and the exit and entry management departments of the public security organs, and mobilize the entire system to support and cooperate with Shanghai to achieve a dynamic social zero. We must make Beijing a top priority, strictly implement the requirements of the Beijing joint prevention and control mechanism, and vigorously support Beijing's epidemic prevention and control work. It is necessary to urge the Jilin Frontier Inspection Station to implement precise prevention and control measures, and continue to consolidate the achievements of Jilin epidemic prevention and control.

It is necessary to guide all frontier inspection stations and entry-exit management departments, and support and cooperate with local governments to fight the war of annihilation and blockade of epidemic prevention and control. It is necessary to strictly implement strict and strict entry and exit policies, strictly restrict non-essential exit activities of Chinese citizens, and strictly approve and issue exit and entry documents. It is necessary to strictly control border ports, strictly prevent stranded overseas people from gathering at the border, and illegal entry into the epidemic, ensuring that people, objects, and the environment are prevented and controlled simultaneously, and hidden problems are dynamically cleared. It is necessary to crack down on illegal entry and exit activities, carry out the "Meerkat Hunting" campaign in an all-round and in-depth manner - 2022, further promote the rectification of prominent "three non-existent" problems, cut off the main channels for illegal entry and exit in border areas, and strictly prevent the spread of the epidemic through illegal and criminal channels.

It is necessary to coordinate the promotion of epidemic prevention and control and serve economic and social development, resolutely implement the requirements of "epidemic prevention, economic stability, and development safety", actively research and introduce policies and measures to facilitate the people, benefit enterprises, and help enterprises to help the "six stability" "Six guarantees" to ensure smooth ports and provide high-quality and efficient services for necessary personnel exchanges. It is necessary to strengthen internal epidemic prevention, strict protection standards, and strict protective measures to ensure the safety and stability of the team. It is necessary to consolidate work responsibilities, strengthen organizational leadership, strengthen the leadership of party building, improve comprehensive security, strict work discipline, and effectively implement the tasks of epidemic prevention and control and serving economic and social development.

The meeting called for conscientiously fulfilling the responsibilities and tasks of immigration management, always keeping in mind the "two big picture" and "the big one in the country", insisting on the integrated promotion of upright conduct, discipline and anti-corruption and serving economic and social development, and making positive contributions to stabilizing the economic fundamentals. . It is necessary to accelerate the implementation of policies and measures to facilitate the people and benefit enterprises, fully implement the people-centered development philosophy, further deepen the reform of "decentralization, management and services" in the field of immigration management, carry out in-depth practice activities of "I do practical things for the people", and speed up the implementation of various conveniences for the people. corporate policy measures.

It is necessary to strictly prevent and defuse major risks, continue to deepen the special crackdown and rectification, severely crack down on cross-border crimes, rectify the "three illegal" problems in key areas, continuously purify the social security order in border areas, and provide a good immigration management environment for economic and social development. It is necessary to standardize the operation of power, comprehensively implement the list management of administrative licensing items, improve the basic catalogue and implementation list of government service items, strictly implement the "six prohibitions" on law enforcement duties, always implement strict, fair, standardized and civilized law enforcement, and resolutely punish the corrupt and unjust people around the masses. wind. It is necessary to strictly implement the requirements of "living a tight life", vigorously promote the establishment of energy-saving institutions, strictly implement the requirements for energy conservation and emission reduction indicators, strictly regulate the management of official vehicles, strictly control "three public affairs" and funds for conferences, travel, training, etc., and effectively put valuable The financial funds are used in the development of critical areas and the urgent needs of the grassroots.

玉林,桂 resident

Timeline

The Global Times responds to "rumors"

From online groups to anti-China outlets: how rumors were created about ‘China suspending or cutting up people’s passports’

By GT staff reporters
Published: May 13, 2022 09:59 PM

8a323f62-5176-44db-af85-1c04885eae6c.jpe

The origin 
A Chinese net user dubbed "Wraitheon" said through a Weibo post that the contents under the hashtag "China tightens curbs on unnecessary overseas travel" were filled with rumors, with one claiming "China cut up a citizen's passport" actually fabricated by a Reddit-user, whose original post displaying a cancelled passport had already been labeled as "photo piracy" by the platform.  

The Global Times found that the rumor was initially created in a Reddit social group called CLTV by a user dubbed "LETSGOBRANDON8888" in early May. The group is a large "China hate" organization, whose members often show hostility toward Chinese society, and make up extreme rumors to distort the Chinese government's policies, creating anxiety throughout the Chinese public.  

The group is also engaged in translating and dispersing extreme remarks on China's social networks abroad, designed to vilify Chinese society. 

The user claims to be a Canadian college student, who met "a border inspector with a bad temper," and says that his passport was cut up by the official. 

The user captioned the post with the eye-catching line "My life is over" and a picture of a "cancelled" passport. He also commented in a thread that "Now the planes are gone and I'm still at the airport, what do I do?" in a clear attempt to win sympathy, 

The disinformation on "cutting up passports" is a classic example of how the group distorts the Chinese government's border policy, and attempts to create anxiety among students studying abroad while stirring up opposition and hostility to China's counter-epidemic policies, especially when China tightened its exit and entry policy on the back of recent flare-ups.

Expand  

玉林,桂 resident

• 3 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 5/10/2022 at 7:47 AM, ZK8 said:

DMed. Would love to be in there. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 5/10/2022 at 7:47 AM, ZK8 said:

Oh just seen that it needs to be started. Have you started it yet?

On 5/22/2022 at 1:46 PM, RandyW said:

The Google translate version of the Xinhua article. Remember that the interpretation of the Immigrations Official is what matters, NOT what YOU think it says. We are talking about Chinese Immigrations here - they are NOT ALLOWING people to leave the country for what is deemed NON=ESSENTIAL travel - THEIR discretion, not yours.

been searching the internet for any more information, but any English news/articles all say the same exact thing from may. Any new stuff from Chinese sources?

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.