Master5

Anyone was able to transfer interview from Warsaw?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello! It would be great to know if anyone was able to transfer I-130 case interview from Warsaw to some other consulate? My understanding is that it's almost impossible to do through email. But what if traveling to Georgia or Armenia and asking the local US consulate directly to accept the case transfer citing exceptional circumstances, anyone tried that?

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Master5 said:

Hello! It would be great to know if anyone was able to transfer I-130 case interview from Warsaw to some other consulate? My understanding is that it's almost impossible to do through email. But what if traveling to Georgia or Armenia and asking the local US consulate directly to accept the case transfer citing exceptional circumstances, anyone tried that?

Your understanding is not accurate.  The request must be in writing, generally done in an e-mail.  It is highly unlikely that you would gain entry into an immigrant visa unit at an Embassy to make the request in person.

The correct procedure to use is described in the "Immigrant Visa Processing -- General FAQs" section of the State Department's website: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/national-visa-center/immigrant-visas-processing-general-faqs.html#ivp13.  The last question in the FAQ list gives the procedure to use, depending on whether your case is still at NVC or already at the Embassy. 

(If this is about a Ukranian applicant, there is specific information at https://pl.usembassy.gov/visas/humanitarian-assistance-and-visa-information-for-ukrainians/.)

Edited by jan22

Timeline
3 hours ago, jan22 said:

Your understanding is not accurate.  The request must be in writing, generally done in an e-mail.  It is highly unlikely that you would gain entry into an immigrant visa unit at an Embassy to make the request in person.

The correct procedure to use is described in the "Immigrant Visa Processing -- General FAQs" section of the State Department's website: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/national-visa-center/immigrant-visas-processing-general-faqs.html#ivp13.  The last question in the FAQ list gives the procedure to use, depending on whether your case is still at NVC or already at the Embassy. 

(If this is about a Ukranian applicant, there is specific information at https://pl.usembassy.gov/visas/humanitarian-assistance-and-visa-information-for-ukrainians/.)

Hi, thanks for the reply! Are you saying they won't let a US citizen inside the US embassy to petition for a wife? I know about the "correct procedure", tried it all already, they just don't reply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Master5 said:

Hi, thanks for the reply! Are you saying they won't let a US citizen inside the US embassy to petition for a wife? I know about the "correct procedure", tried it all already, they just don't reply.

The process your asking about (exceptional circumstances) is what we call DCF here on VJ. The way it works is, you have to email the embassy in advance and get permission that way. There's no physically going to the embassy and asking, they don't allow that.

Also, DCF is only for people who have not started the I-130 process already. If you have a pending case, they won't accept it. They will instead tell you to apply for expedited processing with USCIS.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

11 hours ago, Master5 said:

Maybe I misunderstood what you wanted to do -- thought you already had petitioned your wife and  were talking abut the vIsa interview.  What I was trying to say in regard to that was it was unlikely you would be admitted to the Embassy to ask them to accept your wife's immigrant visa case for interview.  You need an appointment to get into the Embassy, unless you have an emergency in an area that the American Citizen Services unit covers (lost passport, victim of a crime, death, etc).  You can't just walk into the Immigrant Visa unit to talk to them.

When you say "they" don't reply, are you talking about Warsaw or the other Embassies?  Just to be clear, it is the Embassy you want to accept your case that you should be e-mailing with your request.  If they agree to do so, they will request the file from Warsaw.  

Edited by jan22

Timeline

By "to petition for a wife" I meant "to ask", sorry for confusion. Our I-130 case is at NVC currently and it takes forever for them to review it. Basically my question: will it make any difference if we come to Georgian or Armenian embassy in person and ask them to accept our case and conduct the interview there? I have already emailed Georgian embassy visa unit but they don't reply.

By "to petition for a wife" I meant "to ask", sorry for confusion. Our I-130 case is at NVC currently and it takes forever for them to review it. Basically my question: will it make any difference if we come to Georgian or Armenian embassy in person and ask them to accept our case and conduct the interview there? I have already emailed Georgian embassy visa unit but they don't reply.

IMO, it will not help -- especially since your case is not yet at an Embassy, in addition to no appointment to enter the vIsa unit.  There is no action another Embassy can take right now.  They cannot agree to accept a case from Warsaw when Warsaw does not yet gave the case. 

With your case still at NVC, per the procedure in the link I posted, you should be contacting NVC, not the Embassy.  You should submit the transfer request in writing (e-mail), along with the proof of eligibility for processing at that Embassy (citizenship, legal residency, other documentation -- since yours is a Russian case (per your profile flag) this could include difficulties posed by the closure of Moscow visa operation and inability to get documentation for travel to Poland, etc, or whatever your reason is).  If you qualify, NVC will transfer/assign your case to your requested Embassy.  

Edited by jan22

Timeline
6 hours ago, jan22 said:

IMO, it will not help -- especially since your case is not yet at an Embassy, in addition to no appointment to enter the vIsa unit.  There is no action another Embassy can take right now.  They cannot agree to accept a case from Warsaw when Warsaw does not yet gave the case. 

With your case still at NVC, per the procedure in the link I posted, you should be contacting NVC, not the Embassy.  You should submit the transfer request in writing (e-mail), along with the proof of eligibility for processing at that Embassy (citizenship, legal residency, other documentation -- since yours is a Russian case (per your profile flag) this could include difficulties posed by the closure of Moscow visa operation and inability to get documentation for travel to Poland, etc, or whatever your reason is).  If you qualify, NVC will transfer/assign your case to your requested Embassy.  

Thanks for the reply. About the transfer: I spoke to NVC on the phone and they told me they can't initiate the transfer - the embassy first needs to agree to accept the case. I have emailed an expedite request to NVC, let's see if that helps.

Related question: sounds like getting Schengen visa to travel to Poland is going to be a problem for a Russian citizen, no? Even if one has an interview letter from US embassy?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Master5 said:

Thanks for the reply. About the transfer: I spoke to NVC on the phone and they told me they can't initiate the transfer - the embassy first needs to agree to accept the case. I have emailed an expedite request to NVC, let's see if that helps.

You have to email the specific embassy directly and ask if they will take your transfer case. You'll need to provide a reason why Warsaw doesn't work. Many people here have tried but there haven't been many success stories.

3 minutes ago, Master5 said:

Related question: sounds like getting Schengen visa to travel to Poland is going to be a problem for a Russian citizen, no? Even if one has an interview letter from US embassy?

You can get a Schengen visa to any Schengen country, it doesn't have to be Poland. Most people here get the visa from Greece, Italy or some other Schengen country and then enter there, and then go onward to Poland.

Spoiler

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Spoiler

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
1 hour ago, millefleur said:

You have to email the specific embassy directly and ask if they will take your transfer case. You'll need to provide a reason why Warsaw doesn't work. Many people here have tried but there haven't been many success stories.

You can get a Schengen visa to any Schengen country, it doesn't have to be Poland. Most people here get the visa from Greece, Italy or some other Schengen country and then enter there, and then go onward to Poland.

I already emailed Georgian embassy, no reply :)

Anyone was able to get a Polish visa? We are a family with little kids and we'd like to minimize the travel, the youngest one will need a Polish visa too.

Timeline
Just now, Master5 said:

Anyone was able to get a Polish visa? We are a family with little kids and we'd like to minimize the travel, the youngest one will need a Polish visa too.

Many months ago I heard stories here on VJ of some getting humanitarian Polish visas. That was before the invasion though. You'll have to probably reach out to travel agencies or the Polish embassy/consulate in Russia to see what they say is required now or if they're even issuing them to Russians.

Supposedly the easiest for Russians right now are Schengen visas via Greece, Hungary or Italy.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

Jesus, they designated Warsaw as a processing embassy for Russia and it's impossible to get a visa there, what a joke! That's why I'm thinking about transferring the case, but those other embassies don't even reply. Georgian embassy would be perfect as it's designated for CRBA processing - I need it for my youngest kid.

Timeline

Jesus, they designated Warsaw as a processing embassy for Russia and it's impossible to get a visa there, what a joke! That's why I'm thinking about transferring the case, but those other embassies don't even reply. Georgian embassy would be perfect as it's designated for CRBA processing - I need it for my youngest kid.

I would focus more on the problem of children rather than difficulty getting a Schengen visa. They are aware that Russians need a Schengen visa, they don't seem to care that it creates an extra hurdle. DoS obviously had its reasons for picking Warsaw and they are sticking with it so far.

As a USC you can technically do CRBA at any embassy or consulate that offers it. Keep it mind that falls under US Citizen Services, it's not related to immigrant visa processing. They might approve you doing a CRBA in Georgia but still tell your wife she has to go via Warsaw. The immigrant is not entitled to the same rights the USC is, just something to be aware of.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline
18 hours ago, Master5 said:

Our I-130 case is at NVC currently and it takes forever for them to review it.

Just a comment on this specific line - right now, yeah the times are long but they are falling. https://visawhen.com/nvc 81 days or less to review, assuming that you filled in all your documents correctly the first time around...

I would also suggest/ask, fill in the timeline for your I-130 application on this site - not only it helps us understand where in the process you are, but also helps others understand how long 'true' processing time is. The more data we share, the better informed everyone can be.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.