erica_itz

Interview together, different results?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi all, I’d really like some input on my mom’s situation. 
We’re from Brazil, she’s had tourist visas all her life, has been to the US many times, no problems for her on that end. 

Now she’s married to a woman who had a tourist visa denied twice about 6 years ago (they weren’t together then). 

My mom could renew her visa without attending an interview, but she’s going to choose to attend it, so they can do it together. She thinks being married might help her wife’s case to be approved this time (nothing else changed in her life since 6 years ago, except being married now). 

Now to my question: when family members attend the interview together, is it possible for one person to get approved and the other get denied? Or would they deny both? 

I’m afraid my mom is making a bad decision by attending the interview together. 

TIA!

K1
17-may-2011: I-129F sent to Texas lockbox (regular mail, not certified)
23-may-2011: Texas office received package
26-may-2011: NOA1 by email/txt
27-may-2011: Touched
01-jun-2011: NOA1 arrived by mail (dated may 25th)
08-sep-2011: NOA2!!!
23-nov-2011: Interview - Approved!! =)

AOS
11-jun-2012: AOS sent to Chicago lockbox (priority mail)
13-jun-2012: Chicago office received package
18-jun-2012: NOA1 by email/txt
22-jun-2012: NOA1 arrived by mail (dated june 18th)
06-jul-2012: Biometrics letter arrived by mail (scheduled july 16th)
06-jul-2012: Email saying my case got transferred
16-jul-2012: Biometrics appointment
15-aug-2012: Email/txt EAD approved!
08-feb-2013: Email/txt Greencard approved!!
14-feb-2013: Greencard arrived in the mail

On 4/12/2022 at 6:51 PM, erica_itz said:

Now to my question: when family members attend the interview together, is it possible for one person to get approved and the other get denied?

Completely possible.  Happens all the time.

Doesn't matter if they appear together or separately, each application is reviewed on its own merits.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:51 PM, erica_itz said:

I’m afraid my mom is making a bad decision by attending the interview together. 

You are absolutely right to worry. Mom needs to renew her visa  ASAP or jeopardize being denied by association .

Whatever the reasons for her new wife’s two previous denials, mom going with her will not help a bit .

Please advice your mom not to do that, if the other lady had overcome the prior issues that caused the denials she will be approved….your mother is not the factor that will change that equation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Your mom's situation has no bearing on her spouse's visa approval or denial. On the contrary I think she's risking her own visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.