Betxq

Questions of starting spousal process

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was married 6 years ago and had my husband's visa process approved. However he died back in his country before he was able to travel on his visa. Moving forward I befriended someone online some years after this and began a relationship online. We had this relationship for about 4 years online. In 2020 I had purchased a ticket to travel but covid hit and borders closed so my ticket had to be cancelled. I recently went to visit him and we want to be together so we married. I would like to petition for him but don't know if maybe I should wait until I see him again to start the petition or should I start it now even though I've seen him only this once in person. He is from Ghana. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Betxq said:

Hello,

I was married 6 years ago and had my husband's visa process approved. However he died back in his country before he was able to travel on his visa. Moving forward I befriended someone online some years after this and began a relationship online. We had this relationship for about 4 years online. In 2020 I had purchased a ticket to travel but covid hit and borders closed so my ticket had to be cancelled. I recently went to visit him and we want to be together so we married. I would like to petition for him but don't know if maybe I should wait until I see him again to start the petition or should I start it now even though I've seen him only this once in person. He is from Ghana. 

How long were you together in person, when you DID get married?  What is your age?  What is his age?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

How long were you together in person, when you DID get married?  What is your age?  What is his age?

In the 1 week I traveled to see him we married. I am planning to see him again in 6 months. I'm 39 he is 36. I had intended on seeing him before but covid hit and my plans had to be cancelled. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Betxq said:

In the 1 week I traveled to see him we married. I am planning to see him again in 6 months. I'm 39 he is 36. I had intended on seeing him before but covid hit and my plans had to be cancelled. 

I would wait to file until after your second visit.  Stay as long as possible.  Two one-week trips is better than one, but if you could stay a few weeks, it would be better.  You are dealing with a consulate that sees a huge amount of immigration/marriage fraud.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

45 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I would wait to file until after your second visit.  Stay as long as possible.  Two one-week trips is better than one, but if you could stay a few weeks, it would be better.  You are dealing with a consulate that sees a huge amount of immigration/marriage fraud.

Thank very much for your advice! 🙏

6 hours ago, Betxq said:

was married 6 years ago and had my husband's visa process approved. However he died back in his country before he was able to travel on his visa

Your first step is w USCIS, and you have sufficient evidence to file now . Your prior marriage/ and Petition won’t be an issue due to the death of your spouse, and at this stage , one trip or two is not an issue. 

That process in itself is taking long…and it seems that neither luck nor time was on your side w your first marriage. 
But after filing you will have  plenty of time to visit your new husband and  REALLY put effort into getting evidence of bonafides ready for the Consulate, that’s where the scrutiny will take place. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Family said:

Your first step is w USCIS, and you have sufficient evidence to file now . Your prior marriage/ and Petition won’t be an issue due to the death of your spouse, and at this stage , one trip or two is not an issue. 

That process in itself is taking long…and it seems that neither luck nor time was on your side w your first marriage. 
But after filing you will have  plenty of time to visit your new husband and  REALLY put effort into getting evidence of bonafides ready for the Consulate, that’s where the scrutiny will take place. 

The opinion above is exactly that, an "opinion".  One that I believe does not consider the fact that your spouse is from one of the highest fraud regions of the world.  Time spent together in person is the strongest evidence possible of your relationship being genuine.  I strongly advise you to make a second, longer visit before filing and yet another before the interview.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

19 hours ago, Betxq said:

In the 1 week I traveled to see him we married.

This will not be adequate for a high-fraud country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was thinking Ghana may have overtaken Nigeria, but in the last  few months Nigeria has upped its game.

Agree that the best solution is lots of time spent together.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, Boiler said:

I was thinking Ghana may have overtaken Nigeria, but in the last  few months Nigeria has upped its game.

Agree that the best solution is lots of time spent together.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and I will do more visits before I file. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.