Aelius

Lacking the usual evidence of genuineness of relationship that most applicants have. How can I get some?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't think you need to worry, if they need more evidence, they'll ask you.

I dont think it should be a big deal. Everything you mentioned makes sense. I just think you should have some pictures. Even if it's at home or via video chat.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadian here, been in the US for 4 years. You can actually look up entries and exits online. You look up i94 and type in your passport number and you'll find all the entries and exits in a list. 

• Service Center: Nebraska Service Center
  • Consulate: Montreal, Canada
  • Marriage: 2017-05-08
  • i130 Sent: 2017-07-07
  • i130 NOA1: 2017-07-12
  • i130 NOA2: 2018-02-15
  • NVC Received: 2018-03-07
  • Case Number Received: 2018-05-10
  • Send AOS Package: 2018-05-23
  • Send IV Package: 2018-07-19
  • Case Completed at NVC: 2018-07-26
  • Interview Date: 2018-10-31 (approved!)
  • Visa in hand: 2018-11-05

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 2/18/2022 at 5:55 PM, Aelius said:

I'm Canadian, and for three years my American fiancée has lived in Buffalo and drives across the border to visit me every week. I received my NOA1 back in September and would like to make sure I have enough evidence proving the genuineness of our relationship once we get interviewed later this year.

The problem is, we don't have the usual sorts of evidence that most K1 applicants have. Here are some common examples of evidence that other K1 applicants use, and why I don't have them:

1. Visa stamps. Canada does not stamp American passports when they cross.
  2. Phone call logs. We don't call each other (what year is it anyway?).
  3. Mail deliveries. We don't mail each other stuff. She visits so often anyway that we just give each other stuff in person.
  4. Flight bookings, boarding passes, etc. She drives.
  5. Hotel bookings. She stays at my residence when she visits.
  6. Pictures. We don't really go out and do anything. What would be the occasion for which we would take a picture? I suppose we could just take selfies in my home, but that's... odd.
  7. Credit card or bank statements of our purchases at the same time and place. Again, we don't really go out and do anything. Besides, I usually just pay for anything (e.g., pizza delivery). If we suddenly started paying for things together now after three years, wouldn't that be suspicious?
  8. Engagement ring purchase. I never got one (I was intending to just get a wedding ring when the time comes; engagement rings never made sense to me.) We sent our I-129F (along with a letter of intent to marry, of course) back in August. It's now February. I suppose we could buy rings now, but wouldn't that look even more suspicious than not having rings at all? ("It says here you bought rings in February, but your letter of intent to marry was from August. Why would you buy engagement rings so many months after your stated intention to marry?")
  9. Chat logs. We do indeed have 91,000 messages sent between us on Discord. But does that matter? Anyone can manufacture chat logs, and she doesn't use her real name on the application we use (Discord).
  10. Names on lease. This one has never made sense to me. The whole point of immigrating is so that we can live together. Obviously we don't currently live together; we're in different countries!

I'm fine with doing some new things to get some of this evidence, but it seems so... obvious... that I would just be doing it for the sake of the K1 instead of organically. Like, there's little evidence of these things for years, and then all the sudden a few months before the interview we start doing all this stuff together? I don't know... Am I wrong to be concerned about that? And is there any sort of evidence I haven't mentioned above that might be compelling?

Thanks!

Selfie pictures together is better than nothing.  It shows you spending time together.  I submitted many of those.

Since you visited her didn't you take picture of you two at some landmark?  Or with friends?  Those friends can write an affidavit of bona fida relationship.   

Did you have any receipts while you were in Canada?  Start savings receipts and find an opportunity to take many pictures as you can.  We have many pictures of us just doing stuff together , with family and friends. 

I am sure you can think of many things to show you have an relationship with this person ...

K-1 Visa Interview:

POE :

SS Application Sent:

2017-10-17, Approved!:D

2017-12-6

2017-12-12

Married:                      2018-1-8

SS Card Received:     2018-1-16

SS Application Sent(Name Change):  2018-1-17

AOS Application Sent:   2018-2-8

SS Card Received (Name Change):     2018-2-12

AOS Application Delivered:      2018-2-13

AOS Application Accepted:     2018-2-22

AOS NOA1 Received:       2018-2-26

AOS/EAP Biometrics NOA Received:   2018-3-2

AOS/EAP Biometrics Appointment:  2018-3-12

Interview Scheduled:       2018-7-6  

EAP/AP Card Received:    2018-7-19

Original interview Date :2018-8-24  (USCIS Rescheduled due to Hurricane):cry:

Rescheduled Interview Date :2018-10-2, Approved!!  :D

GC Received :             2018-10-18 :thumbs:

SS Card Update :         2018-10-19

SS Card Received:      2018-10-26

ROC

ROC Application Sent via FedEx:  2020-7-2

ROC Application Received :2020-7-6

Rec'ed Text, Case # Assigned : 2020-7-11

Check Cashed: 2020-7-13

NOA Received: 2020-7-22

Case Transferred : 2021-11-10

Biometrics Applied:. 2021-5-12😄

ROC Interview passed: : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400

Eligible to file for US Citizenship : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400 filed online : 2021-12-1🥳

Biometrics reused

Passed Interview  : 2022-4-27🥳

event.png

For the k1 application you need to show that you've physically met within 2 years prior to the application. Since you've already applied (and have NOA1) then I assume you've already handled that part.

Showing ongoing and genuine relationship isn't too hard a bar to show especially for a Canadian. Canadians are unlikely to indulge in a scam to get into the US, which is a pretty similar country. The incentive for those in some other parts of the world to indulge in a scam is much higher.

Since you're seeing each other regularly its actually pretty easy to show an ongoing relationship, if you can prove that you're meeting in person. It's certainly easier to prove than for many dating long distance. Ways to do this (I used some of these for Removal of Conditions but would apply at your stage too)

1) photo of you together with something that proves date. We were together in 2017 at Niagara Falls for a vacation and there was a big "150" marking Canada's birthday. Therefore these photos had to have been taken in 2017 (which we pointed out in the notes on them). Also we went to a Bills game together - could see in the photos the opponent and the score on the score board - that could prove the date of the game for anyone wishing to research it.
2) ATM withdrawals same date, same location. Use either ATM receipt, or bank statements to show this.
3) We each paid for different things. If we could show eg I bought dinner for two in Buffalo, and my fiancee paid for drinks later at a bar close by, then pretty good evidence we were together.
4) get i94 records. If you're making frequent trips across the border this is pretty good evidence, assuming you don't have other reasons to cross it.
5) phone logs from cell phone provider showing calls/texts to each other. A bit more official and online chats.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

On 2/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, Aelius said:

I'm Canadian, and for three years my American fiancée has lived in Buffalo and drives across the border to visit me every week. I received my NOA1 back in September and would like to make sure I have enough evidence proving the genuineness of our relationship once we get interviewed later this year.

The problem is, we don't have the usual sorts of evidence that most K1 applicants have. Here are some common examples of evidence that other K1 applicants use, and why I don't have them:

1. Visa stamps. Canada does not stamp American passports when they cross.
  2. Phone call logs. We don't call each other (what year is it anyway?).
  3. Mail deliveries. We don't mail each other stuff. She visits so often anyway that we just give each other stuff in person.
  4. Flight bookings, boarding passes, etc. She drives.
  5. Hotel bookings. She stays at my residence when she visits.
  6. Pictures. We don't really go out and do anything. What would be the occasion for which we would take a picture? I suppose we could just take selfies in my home, but that's... odd.
  7. Credit card or bank statements of our purchases at the same time and place. Again, we don't really go out and do anything. Besides, I usually just pay for anything (e.g., pizza delivery). If we suddenly started paying for things together now after three years, wouldn't that be suspicious?
  8. Engagement ring purchase. I never got one (I was intending to just get a wedding ring when the time comes; engagement rings never made sense to me.) We sent our I-129F (along with a letter of intent to marry, of course) back in August. It's now February. I suppose we could buy rings now, but wouldn't that look even more suspicious than not having rings at all? ("It says here you bought rings in February, but your letter of intent to marry was from August. Why would you buy engagement rings so many months after your stated intention to marry?")
  9. Chat logs. We do indeed have 91,000 messages sent between us on Discord. But does that matter? Anyone can manufacture chat logs, and she doesn't use her real name on the application we use (Discord).
  10. Names on lease. This one has never made sense to me. The whole point of immigrating is so that we can live together. Obviously we don't currently live together; we're in different countries!

I'm fine with doing some new things to get some of this evidence, but it seems so... obvious... that I would just be doing it for the sake of the K1 instead of organically. Like, there's little evidence of these things for years, and then all the sudden a few months before the interview we start doing all this stuff together? I don't know... Am I wrong to be concerned about that? And is there any sort of evidence I haven't mentioned above that might be compelling?

Thanks!

All we provided during the initial petition (I-129F) were 5 pages of pictures, each page containing 4 pictures of us with family and friends. He hasn't been back here because of Covid19 restrictions but we intend to use the same pics as evidence and maybe a few screenshots of convos and calls (video and audio) via messenger during my interview this March. That's pretty much it. I hear that they seldom ask for those anyway and focus on what is stated in the I-134 and DS-160. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's been ages since we went through it but we submitted the following

Bus tickets of me going to Arkansas (this was the only thing I had to show I went there. I paid cash or he paid for things)

Gas receipts of him getting gas in my town in Canada.

Credit card purchases. At the time Canadian machines would not accept his debit card because it was one with the credit (visa logo) options. The card just wouldn't work. 

He would stay at my house, so no hotel bookings

We took pictures at home, nothing with anything in particular. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.