xkomunikado

Applying Tourist Visa for my mom from the Philippines

15 posts in this topic

What do I need to do first, I am now a resident of the U.S for 8 years. I gave birth 2 months ago and wanting help from my mom. She has savings account and a job for 20 years. I need a step by step process on what to do. I dont mind if it will take a year or so, as long as I start her papers now. 

Appreciate all the help. An updated COVID information would be great. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, xkomunikado said:

Hi! Thanks for your respond. Yes! I will be the preparer as my mom is too old to deal things with computer. I wonder if I should pay first the fees before filing the D-160.

You are unable to pay the fees first because you will need the ds 160 application number in order to process the niv visa payments. 

• 1 month later...

My mom is about to apply her Tourist Visa this week. I wonder what are the current status for applying from the Philippines. 
also, if you have s Step By Step on where to start of what to do for applying would help her a lot. Anything good advise as well are welcome. 

*** Threads of the same topic merged. Only one thread per topic is allowed.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 hours ago, xkomunikado said:

My mom is about to apply her Tourist Visa this week. I wonder what are the current status for applying from the Philippines. 
also, if you have s Step By Step on where to start of what to do for applying would help her a lot. Anything good advise as well are welcome. 

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-niv-visaapply.asp

Have a look at this page. 

Be aware, you/ your mom will have to schedule her own appointment after the DS160 has been completed. 

There is currently a 370 day wait time in Manila.

I'm not sure if that means she'll only be able to interview in 370 days OR she'll only be able to make an appointment in 370 days.

Members in this forum check for available appointments (for their respective countries) once a day.

Your mom will have a max stay of 6 months if she is able to obtain the tourist visa.

This visa is not for living in the US. 

As of February 8, 2022 visa appointments were available November 2023. So, your mom might not be able to visit until 2024. 

Edited by Kor2USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/22/2022 at 6:49 PM, ROK2USA said:

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-niv-visaapply.asp

Have a look at this page. 

Be aware, you/ your mom will have to schedule her own appointment after the DS160 has been completed. 

There is currently a 370 day wait time in Manila.

I'm not sure if that means she'll only be able to interview in 370 days OR she'll only be able to make an appointment in 370 days.

Members in this forum check for available appointments (for their respective countries) once a day.

Your mom will have a max stay of 6 months if she is able to obtain the tourist visa.

This visa is not for living in the US. 

The OP is asking about a tourist visa, why would you mention a tourist visa isn't for living in the US?

I see nowhere she implied she wanted her mother to live her, from what I have seen most older folks from Philippines don't want to live in USA they have their life in Philippines.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 3/5/2022 at 12:45 AM, xkomunikado said:

My mom has taken 2 Visa photos but both decline. One was saying it's too compressed and the second one saying "Your photo does not need cropping."

What does this mean? 

It could be as simple as whoever she went to get photos taken from doesn't know what they are doing. 

U.S. Passport Photos (state.gov)

1 hour ago, Palawan said:

The OP is asking about a tourist visa, why would you mention a tourist visa isn't for living in the US?

I see nowhere she implied she wanted her mother to live her, from what I have seen most older folks from Philippines don't want to live in USA they have their life in Philippines.

She mentions she gave birth 2 months ago and wants her mom to come over to the US to help (in other words live with her???- you can disagree if you don't read the OP the same way)... she also doesn't mind how long the process takes. 

This might suggest she wants her mom to come over, stay and help her long term with the baby. In my country, parents help out with their grandchildren for many years. 

There are some countries where your parents can come on a visit visa and stay and then change to a visa that allows them to stay to look after your children (even if you are not a citizen of that country). 

So, just giving a heads up about the rules of the tourist visa in the US. 

Also. OPs previous post:

Edited by ROK2USA

6 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

She mentions she gave birth 2 months ago and wants her mom to come over to the US to help (in other words live with her???- you can disagree if you don't read the OP the same way)... she also doesn't mind how long the process takes. 

This might suggest she wants her mom to come over, stay and help her long term with the baby. In my country, parents help out with their grandchildren for many years. 

There are some countries where your parents can come on a visit visa and stay and then change to a visa that allows them to stay to look after your children (even if you are not a citizen of that country). 

So, just giving a heads up about the rules of the tourist visa in the US. 

OP never stated she wanted her mom to come over and live with her, he words were

" What do I need to do first, I am now a resident of the U.S for 8 years. I gave birth 2 months ago and wanting help from my mom. She has savings account and a job for 20 years. I need a step by step process on what to do. I dont mind if it will take a year or so, as long as I start her papers now. "

This is a US Visa forum for visa to the USA, not to other countries.

Edited by Palawan

3 minutes ago, Palawan said:

OP never stated she wanted her mom to come over and live with her, he words were

" What do I need to do first, I am now a resident of the U.S for 8 years. I gave birth 2 months ago and wanting help from my mom. She has savings account and a job for 20 years. I need a step by step process on what to do. I dont mind if it will take a year or so, as long as I start her papers now. "

This is a US Visa forum for visa to the USA, not to other countries.

This post is from January 9, 2022. OP's mom has since applied for a visa and has an interview in 2023...

I know quite a few people who get confused about rules for different countries. 

For example, many people think visa runs to Canada or Mexico are okay and a good way to reset your allowed time in the US. (spoiler- they aren't)

Also,  you can read this post...

Edited by ROK2USA

8 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

This post is from January 9, 2022. OP's mom has since applied for a visa and has an interview in 2023...

I know quite a few people who get confused about rules for different countries. 

For example, many people think visa runs to Canada or Mexico are okay and a good way to reset your allowed time in the US. (spoiler- they aren't)

Also,  you can read this post...

That post was 3 years ago, Has nothing to do with her recent post

If she wants her mom to live in the USA she would of gotten US Citizenship and applied for her, easy peasy

11 minutes ago, Palawan said:

That post was 3 years ago, Has nothing to do with her recent post

If she wants her mom to live in the USA she would of gotten US Citizenship and applied for her, easy peasy

The great thing about the internet and this website is everyone can give their opinion and thoughts on a subject as long as we don't violate TOS. 

So, let's just agree to disagree 😉

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.