Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,955 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, COPK said:

I filed at the same time at first, but I think I did it wrong because I didn’t hear anything from them, and I somehow thought they got it ,but when I check my USICS I realized they never received it. Is it going to effect their decision on my case? 

You're generally not going to hear anything from them until USCIS contacts them with your case status. I'd wait for now... Don't hastily act in the future, and when in doubt - consult with a legal professional.

Whether this is going to affect a decision on the case or not is up to DOS - while I don't think that will be the case, it's best to check with someone who is well-versed in the topic (pay a one-time lawyer consult fee since you already filed everything).

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Hardship waiver said:

Hi! The wait is almost over for me. DoS sent favorable recommendations to USCIS. The case was with DoS for 16 months (fulbright funded). Now I am waiting to get the letter from USCIS. Hang in there folks and good luck!

Congratulations! You deserve it. Anyway, can I ask you how did you ask for the congressional inquiry? And do you think I might need to do one soon? 

28 minutes ago, COPK said:

Congratulations! You deserve it. Anyway, can I ask you how did you ask for the congressional inquiry? And do you think I might need to do one soon? 

Thank you! Congressional inquiries — and yes I did three of them— didn’t get a single reply from DoS. They were a waste of time. In my experience, only USCIS responded to congressional inquiries. If you want to do one anyway, just check your state senators’ website and usually they have services for that. Good luck:)

2 minutes ago, Hardship waiver said:

Thank you! Congressional inquiries — and yes I did three of them— didn’t get a single reply from DoS. They were a waste of time. In my experience, only USCIS responded to congressional inquiries. If you want to do one anyway, just check your state senators’ website and usually they have services for that. Good luck:)

Thank you so much for your help. 

On 2/19/2022 at 8:15 PM, Ricardo waiver said:

waiting for 13 months at DOS only we should hear something soon. About time!!!!

Any updates since last week?

Hi, Did you get your recommendation yet?

On 3/24/2022 at 1:27 PM, Hardship waiver said:

Hi! The wait is almost over for me. DoS sent favorable recommendations to USCIS. The case was with DoS for 16 months (fulbright funded). Now I am waiting to get the letter from USCIS. Hang in there folks and good luck!

Congratulations!!! great news 

Hi everyone

I was selected in the diversity visa (green card lottery), however, I have to get the waiver first since I’m on J1. I applied for the hardship waiver last year and my application was received by DOS in November, 2021. It will be 24 weeks by end of April. The issue here is that I have till 9/30 to claim my green card through lottery, but I won’t be able to do so before my waiver gets approved. I wanted to know if a congressional inquiry could work if it emphasized the fact that I have a deadline for claiming GC? 

Thank you and good luck to everyone!

2 hours ago, AnasMD said:

Hi everyone

I was selected in the diversity visa (green card lottery), however, I have to get the waiver first since I’m on J1. I applied for the hardship waiver last year and my application was received by DOS in November, 2021. It will be 24 weeks by end of April. The issue here is that I have till 9/30 to claim my green card through lottery, but I won’t be able to do so before my waiver gets approved. I wanted to know if a congressional inquiry could work if it emphasized the fact that I have a deadline for claiming GC? 

Congrats!! In my experience, congressional inquiries didn’t work, but you should definitely try everything available to you. Maybe you can expedite your case? This is if DoS replies to emails. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Hardship waiver said:

Congrats!! In my experience, congressional inquiries didn’t work, but you should definitely try everything available to you. Maybe you can expedite your case? This is if DoS replies to emails. Good luck!

Thanks for replying.

The options I’m aware of are cong inq and emailing DOS. Are there any other means to expedite?

Thank you 

4 hours ago, AnasMD said:

Hi everyone

The reality is that there is no real process to expedite waivers once they are at DoS. Your best bet is waiting...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.