StevenInAtlanta

Questions about interview for Russian citizen in Warsaw Poland

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, StevenInAtlanta said:

Maybe also I am not clear on if she will get a US visa stamp in her passport and also a "Green Card" after the interview or if the Green Card comes later...like to me in the USA.  I dunno and want to know.

The physical green card comes wayyyy later after entering the US, and it comes via USPS mail. It'll be mailed to the US address she put down in the DS-260. The visa that is placed in the passport looks like this and once it is stamped at the border, it serves the same purpose as a GC for up to 1 year I believe.

USCIS_Machine-Readable-Immigrant-Visa_24

10 minutes ago, StevenInAtlanta said:

I thought that I saw/read here that the Embassy will return your passport and new US immigration visa (and green card?) to you either that same day if its early in the day or next day. I just dont recall reading that you had to hang out an additional 3-5 days to get your documents from a MailBoxes Etc or wait for a UPS courier.

I've never heard of a visa turnaround that fast, I think you must've just read some bad info or someone got extremely lucky. It normally takes a few days and it's always done either pick up or via courier. In the case of Poland, it seems like the MailBoxes Etc pick up spot is where you'll need to go, in terms of a local courier in Poland, not sure about that if they'll deliver to a hotel or wherever you plan to stay.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

"The physical green card comes wayyyy later after entering the US, and it comes via USPS mail. It'll be mailed to the US address she put down in the DS-260. The visa that is placed in the passport looks like this and once it is stamped at the border, it serves the same purpose as a GC for up to 1 year I believe"

Thank you for helping me get that straight....

===================================================

"I've never heard of a visa turnaround that fast"

There are 3 instances of this occurring in this post and subsequent reply.  At least one of them was an IR1. This thread was very helpful to me.

" It normally takes a few days and it's always done either pick up or via courier. In the case of Poland, it seems like the MailBoxes Etc pick up spot is where you'll need to go, in terms of a local courier in Poland, not sure about that if they'll deliver to a hotel or wherever you plan to stay."

After We got the email confirming the interview date, there was a link to the (https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/) site that indicated you could register and the reschedule your interview.  I registered and was able to reschedule the interview (current first available 8am August 31) and at the end of the process it also indicated pickup at MailBoxes Etc or UPS courier to your Polish home/Office address.  I chose the MBE address in Warsaw of course.

This is why I asked, I wanted to know if we should expect to get it next day or have to camp in Warsaw for an additional 3-5 days.

An update for those Russians that had their package transferred from Moscow embassy to Warsaw Poland embassy.

We have a priority date of 6/21/2019
The embassy in Poland notified us they had our package on December 16, 2021
We got our interview confirmation letter on March 14, 2022

The interview was scheduled for April 12, 2022

Notification of the interview date arrived in approximately 3 months
The actual interview date was approximately 4 months from date of the embassy getting the package from Moscow

We rescheduled today (online), the first available spot was August 31.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, StevenInAtlanta said:

There are 3 instances of this occurring in this post and subsequent reply.  At least one of them was an IR1. This thread was very helpful to me.

Interesting, maybe it's going faster than usual at Warsaw. Good to know!

7 minutes ago, StevenInAtlanta said:

This is why I asked, I wanted to know if we should expect to get it next day or have to camp in Warsaw for an additional 3-5 days.

It's a great question because obviously one has to be there to get the visa. 5 days sounds like a long time, maybe 3 days max should be enough? I can't say for sure though, maybe the embassy can clarify it for you?

Worst case scenario: travel insurance, flexible tickets, hotel with free cancellation?

Spoiler

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Spoiler

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, millefleur said:

maybe it's going faster than usual at Warsaw

I suspect that everyone there is bending over more than backwards to accommodate all who are in need.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
Timeline

4/29/2022: Here is a brief update on the current situation for a Russian citizen going to Warsaw Poland for their IR1 interview....

Airline sanctions: continue making TurkishAir the only viable alternative to get in or out of Russia by plane, and you are going to travel through the Istanbul airport to go anywhere.  So you (still) have to fly to some other country (through Turkey) via a Schengen visa, vacation there a few days as part of the countries visa rules, then fly to Warsaw (via Turkey), then to return to Moscow, fly again through Istanbul Turkey.

Bank sanctions: Russian credit cards do not work outside of Russia, makes it hard to pay for anything like meals, transportation, anything during your travel.  Will need some form of pre-paid bank card issued by a bank outside of Russia when you travel to pay for anything. Zelle, PayPal, MoneyGram, WesternUnion, SmallWorld, Venmo, Xoom, Wise, Revolut all are participating in the sanctions, so you can't use them to send money to Russia.

• Apparently you can use the "Telegram" paybot (@PayLahBot) to send money via the Telegram app from your phone.  This is going through banks in Singapore. So you pay fees to convert your $$ to Singapore dollars then to convert them to ruble.  I have not tried this approach yet, but others have and they say that it works.  I tried Chase bank in Atlanta and they would not transfer to ANY Russian bank (at this time).  Here is more on how to use @PayLahBot:
    https://thesmartlocal.com/read/dbs-paylah-telegram-bot/
  • It is possible for me to send a pre-paid credit card to (for example) the hotel that my wife would stay at, but she has to get from the airport to the hotel.....and there has to be a lot of trust on our part when sending a pre-paid credit card via mail.
  • I asked my bank if I can add my wife to my account, she has to actually be present so I can't seem to be able to send her a bank card with her name on it Vs a pre-paid card.
  • Luckily I was looking ahead the day before the war began and realized that I needed to send my wife enough money to last several months, I sent ahead 4 months rent and an additional amount for food and utilities and other personal needs.  Now the cost of food is WAY WAY up and because of a slow down in her business (home sales, interest rates jumped to 28%) her income is way down. I know money is going to get very tight even though the rub is pre-war value at this time.

Postal/Freight sanctions:  USPS, DHL, UPS, FedEx are currently not delivering to any Russian address. Have tried to contact TurkishAir "Air Freight" at least 3 times, numerous emails, even contacting management via LinkedIn, crickets, no response at all. None, nada.  I thought maybe I could use TurkishAir AirFreight to get a package of any size to her. Not getting any joy here at all. So far I have not found a way to even send a greeting card much less a package of any sort.  I'm looking for some way, any way to get even a small package of things to my wife and son. I'm talking about a charger for her MacBook, vitamins, hair color, antiperspirant....things that are unreasonably expensive or not currently available in Moscow.

Travel concerns: My wife say's she is not going to go to her interview in Warsaw w/o me, and I understand her travel concerns.  However, the additional expense of me joining her in (name of some other country), spending a few days vacationing there, flying us both through Turkey, into Warsaw for the interview, 3-5 days there waiting for the visa to be delivered to the Mailboxes Etc, then flying us both through Turkey with her returning to Moscow and me to the US if I dont plan to join her is something like a 10-14 day European adventure.  I've detailed the cost and realistically it's $4,000-$5,000 minimum and that is doing it on the cheap, with tickets pre-paid at least 30 days in advance, and you cant get your Schengen visa w/o pre-paid airfare and hotel accommodations. I am considering asking my adult son if he might be able to accompany her, but that plan still leaves us with the how do you pay for things outside of Russia issue if you only have rubles or a Russian issued bank card.

We chose to go through Rome on our way to Warsaw.  Their Schengen visa requirement is that you must show proof within 30 days of travel that you have cash reserves of $100/day/person for your stay. I don't have confirmation on the number of days that are required to stay but it seems to be 4 days minimum.

Information that would be helpful to all...

• Has anyone discovered a current, secure, convenient method to transfer money to Russia?
  • Has anyone actually know of any package or air freight service that currently delivers to Russia?
  • Has anyone gone through Rome Italy on their Schengen visa and if so, how many days were you required to stay?
  • Has anyone actually completed the journey to Warsaw from Moscow and if so, what was your experience? Were you treated with respect? Did you encounter any civil difficulties? 
  • If you went to Warsaw to participate in your IR1 (or any other immigrant visa) how long after your interview did you receive your visa and how was it delivered?
  • If you are a Russian citizen going to Warsaw, how did you solve or cope with the lack of being able to use a Russian bank card outside of Russia?

Timeline

A note of thanks to those that have reached out to me via private message/email here. A special thanks to @Phoenix8489 and her family for working with me to get some additional cash to my wife. We actually met at the airport and did a direct bank to bank transfer from their Russian bank to my Wife's bank, and I gave them US cash at the airport before their family member returned to Moscow to prepare for their interview in Warsaw. This was a huge and kind gesture and was so much appreciated.  I wish this man the best of luck and safe journeys along the road back to Moscow and to return to the the USA with a new visa.  Thank you so much to this Russian family.

I have another offer from another member here to take a small package to my wife in Moscow, I am following up on that offer to see how small or large this package can be and trying to help my wife work with me to determine what she needs the most based on the size that will be available.

Timeline
1 hour ago, StevenInAtlanta said:

If you are a Russian citizen going to Warsaw, how did you solve or cope with the lack of being able to use a Russian bank card outside of Russia?

Is there no option to just exchange cash somewhere? Even if you have to exchange 3 times, for example rubles > lira > euros, exchange at Istanbul airport. I can't think of any other way at this point if all the other options you mentioned are completely bust. Cash may be the only option here if she needs Euros.

I'm sorry to hear about all the other troubles and wish I had an answer.

I've detailed the cost and realistically it's $4,000-$5,000 minimum and that is doing it on the cheap, with tickets pre-paid at least 30 days in advance, and you cant get your Schengen visa w/o pre-paid airfare and hotel accommodations.

They require pre-paid airfare and accommodation??? That is ridiculous. My family members have got Schengen visas multiple times and this was never required. Is this some recent thing that only targets Russians?

I am considering asking my adult son if he might be able to accompany her, but that plan still leaves us with the how do you pay for things outside of Russia issue if you only have rubles or a Russian issued bank card.

I'm not sure how there's a difference between you going there versus your son? Unless you have limited time off from work? Also, is your son American? He'd be able to use his US card anywhere in the EU at any ATM and make withdrawals.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

@millefleur 

"Is there no option to just exchange cash somewhere?"
The last time I was updated by my Wife, there were no banks exchanging rubles for anything, and no banks outside Russia would exchange for rubles. Wife tells me that there was an announcement that Russian banks were going to start exchanging to dollars or euros on April 12th, but there has not been a confirmation for sure that this has actually occurred. If she can't exchange rubles for anything, and rubles cant be exchanged outside Russia, 'cash' is just not an option.  Russian credit cards still do not work outside Russia anywhere in the EU.

"They require pre-paid airfare and accommodation??? "

To get a Schengen visa for Rome or Greece, the two countries we have checked, both had the requirement to present a pre-paid reservation airfare as well as lodging and/or a booked tour.  I don't know if its just these two, or a new rule, or what but I have read many posts of people going through Greece in-route to Warsaw indicating they were met with the same requirement.

"I'm not sure how there's a difference between you going there versus your son?"

I am talking about my Son that lives in Russia. He would be able to travel with my Wife for less than I can fly to meet her in (Rome) and then follow her on her journey then have to fly home.

Timeline

UPDATE 5/6/2022

I have found a delivery service that is still delivering packages to Moscow Russia.  "Atlantic Express Corp." AEC Parcel Service is still operating throughout USA, Canada and the EU, including Russia.  They have a basic service as well as an expedited service.  I have sent two packages as a test, both about 12x12x12 and about 25lbs.  My total cost was $200 US.  The time to delivery is estimated to be 3 weeks however, the package will be sitting at the agent location for 6 of those days so the actual expected time is about 2 weeks.  AEC uses a network of independent contractors in US cities, to accept and initially process packages to be shipped.  They are then shipped out once a week from these cities to central transportation centers, then loaded on flights in-route to their destinations.  The logistics for Moscow currently seem to be from Atlanta, to Chicago/New York, to Poland, then to Germany, then there is a carrier that will get them into Moscow.  I dont know if the carrier is by truck, or by aircraft.....but the process is reported to take approximately 2 weeks.  The package is delivered to the recipients post office, then they use a barcode that is available online to identify and pick up the package.  There is online tracking available for the package and there is $100 of insurance included.  Additional insurance can be purchased.  Also note that you can send up to a package value of $200 w/o additional tariffs or duties being collected.   We will see about that as it passes through customs.  There should be no additional delivery agent fees but I read a few reviews from users that said in their 'country' destination there were delivery agent fees.  The rate that I was given was $2.79 a pound and a $35 delivery fee.  The max weight is 40lbs but if you want to make special arrangements you can ship heavier items.  I chose to split my package into two packages that were smaller/lighter.

You can find the service here, the rates are very competitive:  https://aecparcel.com/

So once the packages arrive and if there are any additional notes, I will update the VJ forum.

Timeline
6 hours ago, StevenInAtlanta said:

You can find the service here, the rates are very competitive:  https://aecparcel.com/

Thanks for the update!

I asked someone about a bank in Moscow and supposedly here you can exchange rubles for USD or EUR:

https://www.forabank.ru/

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2022 at 3:14 AM, StevenInAtlanta said:

My bad...I mistyped one of the dates...

05-NOV-2020: Our (IR-1/CR-1) documents were qualified (DQ)
15-DEC-2021: Our change from assigned post from Moscow to Warsaw was communicated via email 
So it actually took 13 months to get from documents accepted/qualified to being moved to Warsaw from Moscow.

Now it's 23-JAN 2022 and we are wondering where the invitation email/letter is?

HI @StevenInAtlanta, Pls did you requested for the change of interview assigned post from Moscow to Warsaw or NVC updated automatically since your case was at Moscow? I just received my welcome letter from NVC for my CR1 visa and it has Moscow Id on it, So I wanted to find out if i should request for the transfer of my case to Warsaw or NVC will update it automatically?

Timeline

@Kmomo  "NVC updated automatically since your case was at Moscow"

Yes, it was automatically moved from Moscow to Warsaw, after waiting a year at the Moscow consulate/embassy.  The NVC held it a year before Warsaw was able and willing to take in more IR1 applications.  Once it was received by Warsaw, it took about 3 months before we got our interview date and when we did, it was 29 days from the date of the email confirmation...and just a few days after the war in Ukraine began.

17 minutes ago, StevenInAtlanta said:

@Kmomo  "NVC updated automatically since your case was at Moscow"

Yes, it was automatically moved from Moscow to Warsaw, after waiting a year at the Moscow consulate/embassy.  The NVC held it a year before Warsaw was able and willing to take in more IR1 applications.  Once it was received by Warsaw, it took about 3 months before we got our interview date and when we did, it was 29 days from the date of the email confirmation...and just a few days after the war in Ukraine began.

Oh Okay, thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Final prep for interview in Warsaw Poland. Tickets, hotel, cash reserves all set. Review of needed documentation for my wife includes: 

“original or certified copies of birth certificates of all children of the principal applicant whether they are accompanied by applicant or not”

My wife has 1 adult son, he is 30, and not currently immigrating. Does this apply to an adult child not immigrating or does it include all children period?

• 8 months later...
Timeline

Hi..we are DQ since March 3, 2023 and awaiting interview scheduling in Warsaw.  I have requested the US Embassies in Israel and Turkey to consider accepting her case as travel would be much easier...but no word yet...not sure how long it takes for them to consider.  If interviewing in Warsaw is the only acceptable option, I'm wondering how much time they give you to prepare for the trip when they schedule the interview?  I've heard getting the Schengen Visa can take a few weeks and once received for whichever country (Spain, Italy, Greece, etc...) it's only valid for 30 days.  So hoping there is at least a 2 month window for planning purposes and not a 3-4 week window as that would not allow enough time for processing her Schengen and traveling.  If they schedule with a small window, does anyone know the rescheduling process?  Can we log in to reschedule the date they provided to one maybe 6-8 weeks later or would it be months to reschedule?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions or answers to my questions.  Roger

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.