HUGOC9999

JOINT SPONSOR

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hey everyone, so I've done a ton of reading and I'm in the process of convincing someone to be my joint sponsor. From what I'm aware a joint sponsor is someone who doesn't live in the same household you intend to live in with your spouse, you don't necessarily have to live with them once you arrive in the US, and it could even be someone from a state other than the one you plan to live in. Am I correct? Problem is my joint sponsor is a little doubtful about the whole process at the moment, what risks exactly would a joint sponsor be undertaking ? and what documents would he/she have to file, other than form I864? What other documents would be necessary to become a joint sponsor? Is this information available somewhere that I'm not aware of

8 hours ago, HUGOC9999 said:

Hey everyone, so I've done a ton of reading and I'm in the process of convincing someone to be my joint sponsor. From what I'm aware a joint sponsor is someone who doesn't live in the same household you intend to live in with your spouse, you don't necessarily have to live with them once you arrive in the US, and it could even be someone from a state other than the one you plan to live in. Am I correct? Problem is my joint sponsor is a little doubtful about the whole process at the moment, what risks exactly would a joint sponsor be undertaking ? and what documents would he/she have to file, other than form I864? What other documents would be necessary to become a joint sponsor? Is this information available somewhere that I'm not aware of

The joint sponsor has to submit everything that you, as the primary sponsor, submit.  This includes the I-864 with all the supporting wage/tax documentation, etc.  It is pretty well spelled out in the instructions.

The joint sponsor would be signing a contract with the US government that if the sponsored immigrant were to use any means-tested benefits they are not eligible for, sponsor is on the hook for that money.  So, it is kind of a big deal, and not some casual "signature only" situation.

If the joint sponsor is not a close family member, or very close friend, and does not know the immigrant personally, expect scrutiny at the consular level.

If it were me, I would do everything in my power to increase my own income before asking anyone other than my mom, for example.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 12/15/2021 at 4:07 AM, HUGOC9999 said:

17 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

The joint sponsor has to submit everything that you, as the primary sponsor, submit.  This includes the I-864 with all the supporting wage/tax documentation, etc.  It is pretty well spelled out in the instructions.

The joint sponsor would be signing a contract with the US government that if the sponsored immigrant were to use any means-tested benefits they are not eligible for, sponsor is on the hook for that money.  So, it is kind of a big deal, and not some casual "signature only" situation.

If the joint sponsor is not a close family member, or very close friend, and does not know the immigrant personally, expect scrutiny at the consular level.

If it were me, I would do everything in my power to increase my own income before asking anyone other than my mom, for example.

Good answer.  I want to address what I made bold in the OP's original post. 

From what I'm aware a joint sponsor is someone who doesn't live in the same household you intend to live in with your spouse, you don't necessarily have to live with them once you arrive in the US, and it could even be someone from a state other than the one you plan to live in. Am I correct?

No and yes.  NO, a joint sponsor CAN live in the same house as you, but you are NOT combining income with them.  Living in the same house does not necessarily make a person a household member.  Also actually qualifying as a household member does not usually mean they should act as household member instead of a joint sponsor. 

YES, they can be any US legal resident or citizen living anywhere in the US, and you don't need to plan to live with them.

Not surprised your potential joint sponsor is having doubts.  Maybe they have seen and read the actual form/contract they will sign???

In reality, if the joint sponsor trusts you and your spouse to support yourselves and is confident you can and will, there is little risk.  If not, acting as joint sponsor would be quite foolish.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
22 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Unfortunately I’ve been living abroad for quite a while and I don’t see any way around it. I have a wife and daughter and wouldn’t want to be apart from them for too long. I don’t really have any family members in the US except for a few friends, so joint sponsor it is. I just want to know exactly what forms are necessary so I can go ahead and present my case and, hopefully, they’ll be willing to help. Thanks.

Timeline
2 hours ago, HUGOC9999 said:

Unfortunately I’ve been living abroad for quite a while and I don’t see any way around it. I have a wife and daughter and wouldn’t want to be apart from them for too long. I don’t really have any family members in the US except for a few friends, so joint sponsor it is. I just want to know exactly what forms are necessary so I can go ahead and present my case and, hopefully, they’ll be willing to help. Thanks.

If that's what you want to know, study the I-864 instructions including the part that tells you specifically what must be submitted by the joint sponsor.  

Note that for many, "I don't want..." ends up being irrelevant to THIS process.  Most members here don't live with their foreign spouse, and so they wait a year or two, or more APART (kids or not) to be reunited with their family.  You ALWAYS have the option to come back and get a job.  Stay together if you can, but KNOW, that might not end up working for you.   It takes a special friend to be willing to sign an I-864.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

5 hours ago, HUGOC9999 said:

This cannot always be avoided.  You'll want to also look into domicile requirements.  

FYI, any joint sponsor who agrees to help you must be a USC or LPR residing in the US.

to add to the excellent advice above.. being a joint sponsor is a large responsibility and usually a financially intimate one; what I mean is that your joint sponsor will be sharing where they derive their income from; whether that be wages, investments, retirements etc, and how much that is.  Not everyone is comfortable sharing with family or close friends the details of their income. 

If you find my post helpful please hit the 🤍 heart icon and hit 'Like' or 'Thanks'.    

• 19 Jan 2021: Submit I-130 to Texas Lockbox
  • 06 Mar 2021: NOA1 from Nebraska Service Center
  • 24 May 2021: NOA2 Petition Approved
  • 08 Jul 2021: NVC - Submit IV + AOS Documents 
  • 03 Sep 2021: NVC - RFE for missing W2/1099 
  • 09 Sep 2021: NVC - Re-submit: 1099 Co-sponsor + explanation for petitioner missing W2
  • 08 Dec 2021: NVC - DQ (Documentarily Qualified)
  • 30 Dec 2021: NVC - Interview email (Interview on 13th Jan)
  • 13 Jan 2022: London Embassy - Interview; approved pending arrival of Medical results - case status 'Refused'
  • 14 Jan 2022: Case Status 'Administrative Processing'
  • 18 Jan 2022: Case Status 'Issued'
  • 20 Jan 2022: Passport with visa collected in person
  • 14 Feb 2022: Enter USA via Dulles, airport
  • 29 Apr 2022: Green Card received in Post

Timeline
On 12/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, Saqib-s said:

to add to the excellent advice above.. being a joint sponsor is a large responsibility and usually a financially intimate one; what I mean is that your joint sponsor will be sharing where they derive their income from; whether that be wages, investments, retirements etc, and how much that is.  Not everyone is comfortable sharing with family or close friends the details of their income. 

Well, yes, that and the obligations in the contract itself.  Affidavits of support are both for information about qualifications AND more daunting for many, signing a binding contract.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.