Crtcl Rice Theory

Parents of Michigan school-shooting suspect charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/12/03/oxford-high-school-shooting-suspect-parents-charged/

Today at 12:04 p.m. EST|Updated today at 11:12 p.m. EST

PONTIAC, Mich. — The parents of a 15-year-old boy accused of fatally shooting four classmates at a Michigan high school were criminally charged Friday, an extraordinarily rare move to hold parents accountable when a minor uses their weapon in a school shooting.

In announcing the charges, Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald shared chilling new details about the behavior of James and Jennifer Crumbley, parents of Oxford High School shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley, in the days leading up to the rampage.

As of Friday night, multiple law enforcement authorities, including the U.S. Marshals Service, said they are looking for the Crumbleys. Attorneys said in a statement that the couple had left town the night of the shooting “for their own safety” and would return to be arraigned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

That article is for subscribers only, it seems.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Michigan school shooting: Reward offered to find suspect's parents

US Marshals are offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of the parents of a teenager suspected of a deadly school shooting.

James and Jennifer Crumbley are accused of ignoring warning signs before the rampage that left four students dead.

They have been charged with involuntary manslaughter, but failed to show for their arraignment on Friday.

Ethan Crumbley, 15, is accused of using his father's gun to shoot classmates in Michigan. He has pleaded not guilty

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59530279

Timeline

Parents of suspected Oxford High School shooter in custody after manhunt on Detroit’s east side, sources say

Son accused of killing 4, injuring 7 others in school shooting

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2021/12/04/parents-of-suspected-oxford-high-school-shooter-in-custody-after-manhunt-on-detroits-east-side-sources-say/

Timeline

The day before the shooting, a teacher at the high school observed the teen searching for ammunition on his cell phone during class and she reported it to school officials, McDonald said. Jennifer Crumbley was contacted through voicemail and email about her son's web search. Later, McDonald said, the mother texted her son: "LOL, I'm not mad at you, you have to learn not to get caught.”

Does it get worse? Of course, it does.

The next day, the day of the shooting, the teen's teacher saw an alarming note on his desk, McDonald said. The note contained a drawing of a semiautomatic handgun pointing at the words: "The thoughts won't stop, help me." She said it also contained a drawing of a bullet with the words "blood everywhere" and a drawing of a person who appeared to be shot and bleeding… "Both James and Jennifer Crumbley failed to ask their son if he had his gun with him or where his gun was located and failed to inspect his backpack for the presence of the gun, which he had with him," McDonald said. She said the parents resisted taking their son out of school and left without him."He was returned to the classroom," McDonald said.

Whereupon he killed four people

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a38426269/oxford-high-school-shooting-mother-texts/

Timeline

25 minutes ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

Really? No one has a comment about the extraordinary step of charging the parents for this young man's crime?

What exactly did they do ? 

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

What exactly did they do ? 

Parents are charged with manslaughter, presumably over their decision to buy him a gun, not secure it and not take reasonable precautions to recognize his mental state. 

20 minutes ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

Parents are charged with manslaughter, presumably over their decision to buy him a gun, not secure it and not take reasonable precautions to recognize his mental state. 

Ok thanks for the update. Sounds like they are in serious trouble 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Been following this very closely given the incident happened relatively near to where we live, and have several friends impacted by the events, but thankfully not to the extent of the four families that lost a loved one, or those injured by this troubled teen.  It appears there decision to charge the parents may be a stretch, but we will see how the proceedings play out.  With this case, it seems clear they did in fact purchase the gun for their son which may have been a poor decision, but what if this kid had grabbed the car keys instead and mowed down a number of people, would the parents be charged for not securing the vehicle, what if it had been a knife from the kitchen.  I am not really sure why firearms are treated so differently when there are so many other weapons available to commit mass murder.  

Regardless, the prosecutor here did seem to mess up a bit when instead of communicating with law enforcement and the parents attorney about the upcoming charges, she ran in front of the cameras and notified everyone of the charges through the media.  I heard this prosecutor at an interview, and it seems politics are seeping into things a bit.  I am surprised the prosecutors asked for a bond as this office seems committed to ending bail.  The prosecutor has telegraphed that there may be more charges coming either against the parents or possibly against school officials.  Karen McDonald is certainly not letting this tragedy go to waste politically.

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Been following this very closely given the incident happened relatively near to where we live, and have several friends impacted by the events, but thankfully not to the extent of the four families that lost a loved one, or those injured by this troubled teen.  It appears there decision to charge the parents may be a stretch, but we will see how the proceedings play out.  With this case, it seems clear they did in fact purchase the gun for their son which may have been a poor decision, but what if this kid had grabbed the car keys instead and mowed down a number of people, would the parents be charged for not securing the vehicle, what if it had been a knife from the kitchen.  I am not really sure why firearms are treated so differently when there are so many other weapons available to commit mass murder.  

Regardless, the prosecutor here did seem to mess up a bit when instead of communicating with law enforcement and the parents attorney about the upcoming charges, she ran in front of the cameras and notified everyone of the charges through the media.  I heard this prosecutor at an interview, and it seems politics are seeping into things a bit.  I am surprised the prosecutors asked for a bond as this office seems committed to ending bail.  The prosecutor has telegraphed that there may be more charges coming either against the parents or possibly against school officials.  Karen McDonald is certainly not letting this tragedy go to waste politically.

The prosecutor  messed up? Is that why they ran away and hid in the basement of a business?  They had plenty of opportunity to surrender. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

The prosecutor  messed up? Is that why they ran away and hid in the basement of a business?  They had plenty of opportunity to surrender. 

Hard to really say.  If you were watching the news and saw the prosecutor in a new conference announce charges are being brought against you with no communication through your lawyers what would you do?  Honestly, in this area, it is a bit of lynch mob forming based on the information the prosecutor has chosen to release.  I am not surprised the parents left their home after the events of Tuesday as I have read they along with their extended family have been receiving threats.  I suspect it could be argued the prosecutor is sort of trying these parents in the court of public opinion, and possibly tainting the jury pool.  We shall see, the wheels of justice turn very slowly.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

My thoughts?

Well, as Americans, we have all seen a lot of mass shootings done by child killers... but I have never ever seen "parents" of a killer behave like this before that's for sure. Get themselves a lawyer but not their son. Show no remorse. Be not cooperative. And finally run away like cowards. The kid will be ruled incompetent to stand trial or take a plea, and they were content to behave like idiots. I think I can understand how/why this kid turned out.

I don't know if the charges against them will be successful. It is clear they bought him the gun, and kept it unsecured. They were made aware of his deep distress and psychological problems, but kind of laughed it off and left him ((?????!!!)) at the school. They were aware he was browsing ammo in class and doodling disturbing things and the mother not only laughed but encouraged him to "not get caught" which really shows you the contempt and 'brilliant' parenting going on. The father in this situation is a deadbeat to his other children.  The normal procedure is to turn yourself in utilizing your lawyer to facilitate an agreement, not to go running and break into building. Absolute trash.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

7 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

My thoughts?

Well, as Americans, we have all seen a lot of mass shootings done by child killers... but I have never ever seen "parents" of a killer behave like this before that's for sure. Get themselves a lawyer but not their son. Show no remorse. Be not cooperative. And finally run away like cowards. The kid will be ruled incompetent to stand trial or take a plea, and they were content to behave like idiots. I think I can understand how/why this kid turned out.

I don't know if the charges against them will be successful. It is clear they bought him the gun, and kept it unsecured. They were made aware of his deep distress and psychological problems, but kind of laughed it off and left him ((?????!!!)) at the school. They were aware he was browsing ammo in class and doodling disturbing things and the mother not only laughed but encouraged him to "not get caught" which really shows you the contempt and 'brilliant' parenting going on. The father in this situation is a deadbeat to his other children.  The normal procedure is to turn yourself in utilizing your lawyer to facilitate an agreement, not to go running and break into building. Absolute trash.

Like most thing I want to wait until the facts come out and apply logic. If they bought a gun for their disturbed son, then they need to be burnt chicken. If they bought a gun and had it secured then not so much. We do know that sometimes prosecutors over reach. Here is their side. Is it true? We will find out. Juries normally get it right. They got it right in Rittenhouse, The got it right in George Floyd and they got it right in the the recent trail of the 3 men that killed the kid in Brunswick Ga. Like I said I want to hear the facts but this is the other side. Not saying who is right at this point.

I do think we try to use the media to litigate to many cases in the Media

Michigan school shooting: Crumbley lawyer says gun was locked up, accuses prosecutor of creating media circus

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ethan-crumbley-parents-lawyers-gun-prosecution

Edited by Nature Boy 2.0