whateverd

Bring sibling under 21 with mom

6 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I am a US citizen and planning to petition my mom for GC, I have two young siblings under 21 years old. What is the best way to bring them with her? Do I need to fill separate I-130 for each or wait until my mom get her green card and then she can petition them?  or can I file them under "right to follow" to come with my mom. The issue is that they are young and my mom can't leave them behind so what is the fastest legal way to bring them?

Thank you 

4 minutes ago, thmohds said:

Hello everybody,

I am a US citizen and planning to petition my mom for GC, I have two young siblings under 21 years old. What is the best way to bring them with her? Do I need to fill separate I-130 for each or wait until my mom get her green card and then she can petition them?  or can I file them under "right to follow" to come with my mom. The issue is that they are young and my mom can't leave them behind so what is the fastest legal way to bring them?

Thank you 

You cannot petition for them to come with her.  Sibling petitions are currently taking upwards of 15-20 years.

You can petition your mom, which will take a couple of years, and then she can petition them.  It will be several years before they're here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How long will it be before she can leave them behind.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, thmohds said:

Hello everybody,

Thank you 

There is no way for your mom to immigrate with your siblings.  When a US citizen petitions for a parent, only the parent qualifies for a visa.

Once your mom immigrates to the US, she can file for a Re-Entry Permit.  It will take a few months.  With a Re-Entry Permit, she can be outside the US for up to 2 years without it being counted against her LPR status.

As an LPR, your mom can file in the F2a category for unmarried children under age 21.  The process will take about 2 years.

This is the only option if you want them to immigrate to the US.  

How old are your siblings?

10 hours ago, thmohds said:

Hello everybody,

Thank you 

If they can't be left behind then you have to rethink your plan to petition your mother. There is no "right to follow" with parent petitions.

You can either delay petitioning your mother until your brothers or old enough to take care of themselves. Or find a way for your brothers to be taken care of after your mother comes here.

Here is the problem with immigrating family to the US, it is not fast, it is not cheap, and there is no "come one come all at once" way of doing it. The further you get away from immediate family (spouse and minor children), the more difficult it is to petition for them. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

File for mom (2 years). Mom comes in, files for them (2 years). This is the shortest route. Give or take, 4 years altogether. The kids can stay with relatives while mom is in US to trigger GC.

If the above short route is not feasible for you guys, then try the long route (15+ years) as mentioned by @Jorgedig

Hopefully, your siblings are well below 21 years of age.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.