AlbanX

Passport/Name

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post it to. I am a US citizen that applied for my fiance (now wife) to come to the US. When we got married, I made a slight change to my last name but forgot to renew my passport. We are planning a trip overseas now that my wife got her green card, but was wondering if it's ok to travel with my old name on the passport if I provided proof of name change via marriage certificate? 

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, AlbanX said:

I have not booked it yet. 

Path of least resistance is to book the tickets in the name on the passport you will use to travel. 

If the credit card used to but the tickets does not match the name of person traveling then I recommend that the person who bought the tickets be present at the airport check in counter.  Presumably your spouse has a credit card in your spouse’s name and is traveling with you.  This requirement varies by airline.  Eg. United stopped caring decades ago, and Cathay is strict.  

When you check into the outbound flight, you might be asked for your green card / I-551. If so you will need your marriage certificate.  The same thing will happen on the return flight.  

When you return to the USA, present just your green card.  

If the CBP officer demands your passport to (IME, 25 percent of the time this happens, though it is inconsistent with the law), provide it and your marriage certificate.  

Prepare to be barked at by CBP but understand that there is no US law compelling an LPR to maintain a passport in the same name as that on the I-551 (or for that matter maintain or  travel with a passport at all).  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, AlbanX said:

When we got married, I (male/ US citizen) also made a slight change to my last name since it gave me an option. My American passport has older last name. If I come back to the US, will it be a problem just enter? 

sorry the location of this post in a K-1 forum confused me. This has nothing to do with your spouse’s immigration status.  

Your tickets need to be in the name of the passport.  The owner of the credit card might need to be present at check in and if the owner is you expect difficulties. 

I can anticipate a secondary inspection and an admonishment from CBP to correct your passport.  As a U.S. citizen you have an absolute right to enter the USA. You just don’t have the right to leave without inspection that takes an indefinite amount of time.  

Edited by Mike E

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

sorry the location of this post in a K-1 forum confused me. This has nothing to do with your spouse’s immigration status.  

Your tickets need to be in the name of the passport.  The owner of the credit card might need to be present at check in and if they owner is you expect difficulties. 

I can anticipate a secondary inspection and an admonishment from CBP to correct your passport. 

Yes, thanks for moving it. 

I am going to book the tickets with the name on the passport. I checked the CBP website and they said I shouldn't have a problem when I am re-entering if I provide proof of name change. https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1209?language=en_US

14 hours ago, AlbanX said:

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post it to. I am a US citizen that applied for my fiance (now wife) to come to the US. When we got married, I made a slight change to my last name but forgot to renew my passport. We are planning a trip overseas now that my wife got her green card, but was wondering if it's ok to travel with my old name on the passport if I provided proof of name change via marriage certificate? 

Thanks

Not a USC- BUT- I legally changed my name several years ago and didn't update my passport until 2020. 

It was able to travel around the world with no issue and did not have to show my marriage certificate. 

(I also traveled to the States with no issue) 

All travel was booked under my passport name not my legal name. 

The wording on the US Embassy and Consulate in Netherlands makes it seem like you don't have to change your name on your passport before traveling... 

https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/name-change-marriage-divorce/

travel.go.state doesn't outline any rules but contains instructions on how to change your name: 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/change-correct.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

so why not just get a new passport?

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.