RedditMusic

Confusion regarding self-employed fiancee and work permits

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

*give work authorization that doesn't expire after 90 days 😅

Most people need EAD

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Denmark
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Boiler said:

K1 is work authorised subject to status for the 90 days

I don’t think it is...you have to apply for it, right?

51 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It's not that they can't.  In fact, in theory they could marry the day after POE, in some jurisdictions get a certified copy of a marriage certificate immediately, and send off their AOS/EAD/AP packet the same day.  The ever-lengthening time period for processing the actual GC application is why the EAD option is even given.

Unfortunately that option is now taking 8 months, much longer than it used to....but yet most inquiring on K-1 vs CR-1 here on VJ are hyper focused on the perceived "time apart," rather than the very real delay in work authorization with a K-1.

Literally this. We were so concerned with the strain of being apart and the feeling of getting married for papers with the CR1 route that we went K1. Had we known what a nightmare work authorization and AOS is we would have probably gone the other route. 

K1 process:

• 10-28-2020 - i-129f Received at Lockbox          
  • 12-08-2020 - NOA1 
  • 06-14-2021 - RFE 
  • 07-06-2021 - NOA2
  • 08-19-2021 - Arrived at Embassy
  • 10-07-2021 - Checklist received
  • 10-21-2021 - Interview & Approval
  • 12-29-2021 - Marriage :)

AOS:

• 01-29-2022 - Package sent to Phoenix Lockbox
  • 02-02-2022 - Credit Card Charged
  • 02-12-2022 - Notice of Biometrics
  • 03-09-2022 - Biometrics Appointment

Timeline

You have to apply for EAD as that is evidence. which most people need

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

53 minutes ago, Boiler said:

K1 is work authorised subject to status for the 90 days

Right, but not in practice as they no longer stamp the visa with that addendum at POE.

9 minutes ago, dmeister3 said:

I don’t think it is...you have to apply for it, right?

Literally this. We were so concerned with the strain of being apart and the feeling of getting married for papers with the CR1 route that we went K1. Had we known what a nightmare work authorization and AOS is we would have probably gone the other route. 

Funny thing is.....when people come here to VJ to inquire, most of the time they cannot be convinced by any current processing times or other drawbacks, like being unable to drive....

Timeline

The stamp was the EAD

5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Funny thing is.....when people come here to VJ to inquire, most of the time they cannot be convinced by any current processing times or other drawbacks, like being unable to drive....

According to your timeline, you went through the K1 with your partner. Do you regret it? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Denmark
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The stamp was the EAD

I didn’t know that! Thanks for that info 😁

K1 process:

• 10-28-2020 - i-129f Received at Lockbox          
  • 12-08-2020 - NOA1 
  • 06-14-2021 - RFE 
  • 07-06-2021 - NOA2
  • 08-19-2021 - Arrived at Embassy
  • 10-07-2021 - Checklist received
  • 10-21-2021 - Interview & Approval
  • 12-29-2021 - Marriage :)

AOS:

• 01-29-2022 - Package sent to Phoenix Lockbox
  • 02-02-2022 - Credit Card Charged
  • 02-12-2022 - Notice of Biometrics
  • 03-09-2022 - Biometrics Appointment

9 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

According to your timeline, you went through the K1 with your partner. Do you regret it? 

No, but we had sheer luck when it came to timing.  In 2018, our petition was approved in 6 months, and he was here and we were married two months after that.  The approval process for those who submitted petitions the next year was even faster.  

We eloped so that we could get the AOS packet submitted asap, as we already knew that in Seattle we faced one of the longest interview wait times nationally at that time.  AP/EAD was also relatively fast - 4.5 months.  

Wait time for GC interview was 14 months, and my husband had his interview on the eve of COVID's arrival into the US, on 1/30/2020.  Now the wait for a green card in Seattle is greater than two years.

If we were to do it now, I'd definitely do a CR-1, after seeing how the K-1 was globally deprioritized and the resulting futile lawsuits, throughout the pandemic.  Although the consulate in Auckland has had to put interviews on hiatus due to the local COVID lockdowns, which is obviously beyond the control of DOS.

To add: we are lucky also to live in a state that dispenses drivers licenses based solely on state residency, without regard to immigration status.  So, my husband did not run into the long wait to be able to drive that other K-1 visa holders have.  That would probably have driven him insane!   The 4.5 months waiting to work wasn't a walk in the park, but he used to time to do some projects around the house while I worked extra shifts.

Edited by Jorgedig

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So a lot of people are posting their thoughts, and maybe some text from the IRS or USCIS.

Has anyone actually talked to an attorney?

Or gone through the AOS process while working remotely for their home country? If so, how did it go?

Timeline

I'd like to clarify from my last post - It does sound like you're not supposed to work remotely while waiting for the EAD...but I know people get away with it, while still reporting during the AOS process that they did work for some time. I don't know if that's because immigration officers consider the laws antiquated, luck, a combination of both, etc. I'm trying to understand is there a risk of not getting the green card, or do the problems lie afterward the IRS, or something else.

Timeline

We can only comment on what is legal.

If work is an issue K1 is the wrong option.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
57 minutes ago, mattUsUkr said:

but I know people get away with it, while still reporting during the AOS process that they did work for some time.

We can only state what is legal in the forum. People don’t “get away with it”. By law, working illegally is forgiven when you adjust status through marriage with a USC. That does not mean, though, it’s the right thing to do.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ra0010 said:

We can only state what is legal in the forum. People don’t “get away with it”. By law, working illegally is forgiven when you adjust status through marriage with a USC. That does not mean, though, it’s the right thing to do.

Yea I'd prefer to follow the laws fully. As would my fiance, but I want to give her all the information so she can make a decision on her own. We don't need the extra income so I think she probably won't work...but again...just trying to understand the full picture.

Interesting that by law, working illegally is forgiven when you adjust status through marriage with a USC. That is a much clearer explanation of "getting away with it." Do you know what the risk is then, if by law it's forgiven during the AOS?

Thanks for your post!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.