27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jules Joniel said:

Is it an obligation to have a citizenship certificate if I have a passport for the k1 Visa process?

In our case we needed my naturalization certificate to complete adjustment of status. My US passport was not sufficient.  

Others have different experiences.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jules Joniel said:

Is it an obligation to have a citizenship certificate if I have a passport for the k1 Visa process?

are u a USC by birth ?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jules Joniel said:

I came to the United States before I was 18; I got my citizenship through my father.  I only have my passport.

Some people in your situation who petition a spouse find that they need a certificate of citizenship and sine don’t.  Alas getting the Certificate of Citizenship years after citizenship was acquired can is harder to do has you have to provide the same evidence used to get your first US passport and that evidence is often. It available to the citizen. The State department has that stuff or at least it has evidence is saw that stuff. But USCIS isn’t always willing to accept State’s word for it.  

Since it takes at least a year to get a certificate of citizenship you might try to  complete the K-1 process for your fiancé(e) with just your passport and see how far you get.  In parallel consider applying for your certificate of citizenship.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Some people in your situation who petition a spouse find that they need a certificate of citizenship and sine don’t.  Alas getting the Certificate of Citizenship years after citizenship was acquired can is harder to do has you have to provide the same evidence used to get your first US passport and that evidence is often. It available to the citizen. The State department has that stuff or at least it has evidence is saw that stuff. But USCIS isn’t always willing to accept State’s word for it.  

Since it takes at least a year to get a certificate of citizenship you might try to  complete the K-1 process for your fiancé(e) with just your passport and see how far you get.  In parallel consider applying for your certificate of citizenship.  

start the process and send for the naturalization certificate /your father must be able to provide u with some basic info

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline

There's no need to be afraid. Just take a breather and check with your father about his and your citizenship documents. RFE's are not a bad thing, it means they are working on your case and they just need some data.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:28 PM, Mike E said:

In our case we needed my naturalization certificate to complete adjustment of status. My US passport was not sufficient.  

Others have different experiences.  

if USCIS sends me an RFE letter on the 8th of this month, how many days do you expect I will receive it?

Timeline
12 hours ago, Jules Joniel said:

if USCIS sends me an RFE letter on the 8th of this month, how many days do you expect I will receive it?

I would expect you will get 30 days from the date of the notice.  

I want to stress that if you apply for a naturalization certificate you will be denied 

The applicable document is a certificate of citizenship. Form n-600. 

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I would expect you will get 30 days from the date of the notice.  

I want to stress that if you apply for a naturalization certificate you will be denied 

The applicable document is a certificate of citizenship. Form n-600. 

i just called uscis they said i don't have to worry about the citizenship certificate as long as i have my passport i don't know if that matters.

41 minutes ago, Jules Joniel said:

i just called uscis they said i don't have to worry about the citizenship certificate as long as i have my passport i don't know if that matters.

As @Mike E said in his earlier post, some people end up needing it and some don’t. It’s impossible to predict what kind of IO you would get, maybe passport isn’t enough for them, who knows. I’d personally request the certificate of citizenship because it’s an important document to have in your possession, you might need it in the future for other things too. Again, it’s up to you to make the decision.

I’d like to add that USCIS often gives inaccurate information. I wouldn’t rely on them too often. Just an FYI for the future. 

Edited by powerpuff

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.