Guido51

What should i do when i751 takes more than 18months

32 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, i wanted to ask this question in a thread because maybe other people can find it helpful too.

I filed i751 in april 2020 - 19months ago.

Only update i received was biometrics appointment in june 2020. There is no update for over 18months.

I filed in miami. i know many people already got their 10year greencard but i don't even have a interview date after 19months. 

I know sometimes it can take longer but is there ANYTHING that i can do in this case.

I would appreciate any help.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I think first you get info pass appointment and get stamp for your visa extension. then apply for Citizenship immediately once you are in eligible timeframe. It will help your file and get you combo interview. 

Then  also if it takes longer time you can involve your local Senator. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Guido51 said:

Hello everyone, i wanted to ask this question in a thread because maybe other people can find it helpful too.

Only update i received was biometrics appointment in june 2020. There is no update for over 18months.

I filed in miami. i know many people already got their 10year greencard but i don't even have a interview date after 19months. 

I know sometimes it can take longer but is there ANYTHING that i can do in this case.

Your status does not expire.....but the evidence of that status does.  If you need evidence of status as a legal resident for travel, work, etc after the extension letter expires, call USCIS and schedule an INFOPASS appointment for an ADIT stamp.  We did that a few weeks ago.  I called USCIS and scheduled an emergency appointment for the stamp since my wife needed to book a flight back to Taiwan.  USCIS gave us an appoint for the very next morning.  So, within 24 hours of calling USCIS, my wife had the stamp in her passport.  It was painless and fast.

BTW, we filed my wife's case in March 2019......we are still waiting for an interview.....good luck. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, M@K12 said:

I think first you get info pass appointment and get stamp for your visa extension. then apply for Citizenship immediately once you are in eligible timeframe. It will help your file and get you combo interview. 

Then  also if it takes longer time you can involve your local Senator. 

thank you for reply. i already applied for citizenship and it is also pending over 10months. what should i expect at this point? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Guido51 said:

i already applied for citizenship and it is also pending over 10months. what should i expect at this point? 

An interview perhaps a combo interview (i751 and n400 together), 1 to 12 months or more from now.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

I flied mine in April, 2020, too. 

USCIS announced on Sep 3 that they will extend the extension period from 18 months to 24 months.

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-extends-evidence-of-status-for-conditional-permanent-residents-to-24-months-with-pending-form

I hope they will send me the new letter soon as I need to leave US next month. I called them for info pass just in case I can't get the letter soon.

I wouldn't have made an appointment for info pass if I didn't need to go outside the US since I will be still legal until my case will be processed, but if you are worried, I suggest you to get a stamp on your passport.

I called USCIS again just now and was told that I should receive the new extension letter by the end of this month and if not, they told me to call them again. He said my info pass appointment was cancelled because the letter should arrive this month. I don't know if everyone get the new letter this month or I will get it soon because I called them. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Y+B said:

I called USCIS again just now and was told that I should receive the new extension letter by the end of this month and if not, they told me to call them again. He said my info pass appointment was cancelled because the letter should arrive this month. I don't know if everyone get the new letter this month or I will get it soon because I called them. 

This will be the new 24 month extension....from the original expiration date on the green card.  It is a one-time letter issue.. 

Unfortunately, even a 24 month extension letter would have expired 3 months ago for my wife's green card. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My wife 18 months extension letter is also expiring next month, should I call USCIS for infopass appointment or wait for the new extension letter. We are planning to travel overseas in the end of Dec-21. side note my case status as of right now is "case is ready for interview schedule"

18 hours ago, mtldesai809 said:

My wife 18 months extension letter is also expiring next month, should I call USCIS for infopass appointment or wait for the new extension letter. We are planning to travel overseas in the end of Dec-21. side note my case status as of right now is "case is ready for interview schedule"

I think you should wait for the letter. If you don't get the letter by early next month, then I think they will take an infopass appointment.

I called USCIS 2 times yesterday and the first one I made an infopass appointment (and I asked about the letter but the person who I talked to said they don't have details about when the letter would be sent out), and the 2nd time I called, this time the person on the phone said the letter will be sent soon and due to that, the appointment was cancelled and he suggested me to call again if I won't get the letter by Oct. (My letter expires on Oct. 10)

Edited by Y+B

9 hours ago, Y+B said:

I think you should wait for the letter. If you don't get the letter by early next month, then I think they will take an infopass appointment.

I called USCIS 2 times yesterday and the first one I made an infopass appointment (and I asked about the letter but the person who I talked to said they don't have details about when the letter would be sent out), and the 2nd time I called, this time the person on the phone said the letter will be sent soon and due to that, the appointment was cancelled and he suggested me to call again if I won't get the letter by Oct. (My letter expires on Oct. 10)

thank you for reply. did they send you an interview letter because you pushed them with a phone call? is this what happened?

i'm not waiting for extension letter, i'm really expecting an interview.

13 hours ago, Guido51 said:

thank you for reply. did they send you an interview letter because you pushed them with a phone call? is this what happened?

i'm not waiting for extension letter, i'm really expecting an interview.

I called them to schedule an infopass and I gave them a wrong email address. I realized it an hour later and called again to correct it but they told me I'm getting the extension letter in 10 days so they cancelled the request for infopass appointment they put the system.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:27 PM, Guido51 said:

we filed I-751 around January 2020 and waiting for interview status since October 2020. luckily her N400 interview is scheduled for next week. hoping for a combo. So, may be in next few month, you will get a good news as well. good luck

Edited by Pavel1982

27 minutes ago, Pavel1982 said:

we filed I-751 around January 2020 and waiting for interview status since October 2020. luckily her N400 interview is scheduled for next week. hoping for a combo. So, may be in next few month, you will get a good news as well. good luck

thank you. how long did it take you to receive interview for n400 AFTER you filed n400 while i751 was pending?

7 minutes ago, Guido51 said:

thank you. how long did it take you to receive interview for n400 AFTER you filed n400 while i751 was pending?

Around 9 months 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.