MaxxDy

Changing my maiden name from married name

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hello good day everyone. I guess this is the right site or page to ask because a lot of people in this site are knowledgeable or may have the same experience as mine.

I am a US citizen and also the petitioner. Were on the NVC stage now awaiting our case to be sent or forwarded to the US Embassy in Hong Kong were my beneficiary is going to have the interview. Anytime this week it might be in transit and case ready already because the routine visa services in Hong Kong are now operating normally.

My concern and issue is I was married before and legally divorced already and on my final divorce decree says I can obtain anytime I wish to use back my maiden name. When we started the process of the I-129F and now that I sent already the documents to my beneficiary to bring for the interview all the documents like the affidavit of support I am still using my married name because I haven’t change yet and use my maiden name since the divorce.

Now that my vehicle registration is going to expired this end of the month I was planning to register and renew using my maiden name already and also my new home address. Also my

drivers license needs to be change to my maiden name and new address as they said it is the law here that it should match right?

After that I am planning to go to the social security to change and use my maiden name already and then change my US passport also to my maiden name. I am just planning and wanting to this already now so I will not be going back and fort anymore because when we get married I am not going to change anymore my family name.

Please I would really appreciate if somebody here can help me or enlighten me or guarantee me that this is not going to cause any problem on our K1 fiancé visa process.

I am just kinda hesitant because do you think it may cause or affect during my beneficiary interview? Or maybe by the time my beneficiary enter the United States at the port of entry do they ran or check the background of us the petitioner? Wonder if they might see the documents of my beneficiary seeing that my name there is still my married name and I dont know if it will be seen that I may have use already my maiden name like that?

Please please help me somebody here who knew exactly and sure can confirmed. Thank you so much and God bless

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This is a non-issue, don't give it anymore thought.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It doesn't matter if you legally change your name. If you are not planning to change your name again when you get married again soon, then go ahead and change it now.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline
20 hours ago, KayDeeCee said:

It doesn't matter if you legally change your name. If you are not planning to change your name again when you get married again soon, then go ahead and change it now.

I was just worried and hesitant to change my name now because all my documents regarding the I-129F petition are still my married name and especially the Affidavit of support that my beneficiary is going to bring for the interview is still on my married name.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, Ashley L said:

I was just worried and hesitant to change my name now because all my documents regarding the I-129F petition are still my married name and especially the Affidavit of support that my beneficiary is going to bring for the interview is still on my married name.

The very nature of this process lends itself to paranoia, overthinking, and second guessing; full disclosure, I was guilty of all thoughts at various points.  However, as I previously stated, changing your own name at this juncture will have no adverse effect on your case.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

ILegally changing your namedoes not mean they dont keep a record of your previously used names and government agencies including financial institutions and consulates all have access to it all. So dont worry since you changed it already start using it immediately... All forms show carry your new name 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 8/22/2021 at 5:06 AM, Ashley L said:

on my final divorce decree says I can obtain anytime I wish to use back my maiden name

That is already all you need.  Plus your maiden name is already on some of your documents (like birth certificate).  I'm basically in the reverse scenario as you (US citizen married to a foreigner who is changing her name to mine, but all her documents show her "maiden name").  I've researched a bit and it's not an issue.  A marriage certificate or divorce decree like you have is legal grounds to change your name and is all that is required by any US department.  Just be sure you mentioned both your names on the application (which you already should have done anyways).

Timeline

My beneficiary will have the interview already this coming September and I already done sent all my supporting documents including the affidavit of support which still on my married name there.

and now I am going to renew my vehicle registration using my maiden name already so I dont have to go back and fort. 

after that i will go to the driving place to change also my driver’s license then to social security and then to my banks.

that was only all my concern if in case my beneficiary arrive here on the port of entry if the immigration run some check background. 

But all of you here who commented and answered my question guaranteed me that it is not going to be an issue at all since I am changing my name legally.

thank you so much again to all of you for answering here. God bless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.