David Mpoyi

K1 VISA holder needs SS card to get married

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, is there a possibility of getting a social security card for my fiancee who arrived on a K1 Visa without getting the rejection letter from the SS office? I am not 100% sure but someone told me that I could go to the appoint with a document showing that a K1 Visa holder can get a social security card and I won't have to get the rejection letter. If anyone know the document I am talking about would you please upload it? thank you.

23 minutes ago, David Mpoyi said:

Hello, is there a possibility of getting a social security card for my fiancee who arrived on a K1 Visa without getting the rejection letter from the SS office?

It's usually recommended to get the SSN right after entering the US and before getting married. When did she enter the US with the K-1 visa?

24 minutes ago, David Mpoyi said:

If anyone know the document I am talking about would you please upload it?

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

K-1

Fiancé or fiancé of a U.S. citizen

Legal alien allowed to work

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, David Mpoyi said:

Hello, is there a possibility of getting a social security card for my fiancee who arrived on a K1 Visa without getting the rejection letter from the SS office? I am not 100% sure but someone told me that I could go to the appoint with a document showing that a K1 Visa holder can get a social security card and I won't have to get the rejection letter. If anyone know the document I am talking about would you please upload it? thank you.

Where are you that they are requiring a SSN to get married? 

Timeline
10 hours ago, HRQX said:

It's usually recommended to get the SSN right after entering the US and before getting married. When did she enter the US with the K-1 visa?

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

K-1

Fiancé or fiancé of a U.S. citizen

Legal alien allowed to work

she entered the united states three days ago. we wanted to get the SSN before we got married

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ayrton said:

In idaho before the courthouse can give you a marriage certificate, the fiancee needs to first have a SSN.

3 hours ago, Ayrton said:

OP's profile says that they live in Boise, Idaho. Without an SSN it complicates things: https://legislature.idaho.gov/statutesrules/idstat/Title32/T32CH4/SECT32-403/

An applicant who has not been assigned a social security number shall:
(i)   Present written verification from the social security administration that the applicant has not been assigned a social security number; and
(ii)  Submit a birth certificate, passport or other documentary evidence issued by an entity other than a state or the United States; and
(iii) Submit such proof as the department may require that the applicant is lawfully present in the United States.

Thus why I brought up the option of Utah County ZOOM marriage as an alternative:

9 hours ago, HRQX said:

Just marry through ZOOM. You and your fiancee together in-person in Idaho while the officiant is in Utah County, Utah. The marriage is recognized by USCIS:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It also looks like Boise is less than hour drive from the Oregon border, though I don't know where there nearest county clerk's office (or whatever department handles civil marriages in Oregon) would be.

Also consider going to Vegas and having @Loren Y officiate.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
15 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

It also looks like Boise is less than hour drive from the Oregon border, though I don't know where there nearest county clerk's office (or whatever department handles civil marriages in Oregon) would be.

Also consider going to Vegas and having @Loren Y officiate.

OP, you are welcome to message me for my contact information if you are interested in a quick Vegas wedding. Can get everything done in under an hour usually. I have done many marriages for VJ members, and I don't charge for my services.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.