K-UK

Biometrics letter to appointment timing

15 posts in this topic

Wondering how much notice everyone had between receiving their biometrics letter and the actual appointment? My I-751 was received 4/15, NOA1 5/3 MSC center, haven’t heard anything since and I know some people have waited up to a year for biometrics.

The UK just made entering the country much easier and after not seeing my family for 2 years I’m desperate to go back, however I’m worried we will miss the biometrics appointment by being away for 10 days. We are moving to a new house in a couple of weeks and don’t know anyone to check our mail for us while away.

Any advice is very welcome!! Thank you.

I had a similar situation where I had to travel home having not seen my parents in 17 months, and right before we left I got a biometrics appointment scheduled in the middle of the trip :protest:

I think I got the appointment notice approx. two weeks before the date of the appointment. Of course USPS can be quite unreliable so you never know. If where you live the option of USPS Informed Delivery is available, you could sign up for it and see if any USCIS envelopes will show up while you are gone. Don’t know if you need a VPN to access USPS website from abroad, though.

Having my rescheduled biometrics appointment first thing tomorrow morning :wacko:

Edited by Locito

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

7 hours ago, Locito said:

I had a similar situation where I had to travel home having not seen my parents in 17 months, and right before we left I got a biometrics appointment scheduled in the middle of the trip :protest:

I think I got the appointment notice approx. two weeks before the date of the appointment. Of course USPS can be quite unreliable so you never know. If where you live the option of USPS Informed Delivery is available, you could sign up for it and see if any USCIS envelopes will show up while you are gone. Don’t know if you need a VPN to access USPS website from abroad, though.

Having my rescheduled biometrics appointment first thing tomorrow morning :wacko:

Thank you so much for your reply! Of course it came right before you left for your trip 😫 I’m sorry that’s stressful! Good luck for the appointment, I’m sure it will be fine.

Yes I have informed delivery so I’m thinking I will call them if I see anything arrive and ask what date has been given, then can reschedule. I would expect them to give more than 10 days notice but you never know!! The waiting and not knowing is so stressful 😔

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

@Locito Hello! Did you call immigration once you were back from the vacation or as soon as you get the letter before going to visit your family? 
I received my extension recently but did not receive my biometrics yet.

this is so annoying. And I was thinking to stay 3 weeks at home or longer so I could celebrate my birthday there too. 

thank you in advance 😀

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/1/2021 at 6:05 PM, K-UK said:

Wondering how much notice everyone had between receiving their biometrics letter and the actual appointment? My I-751 was received 4/15, NOA1 5/3 MSC center, haven’t heard anything since and I know some people have waited up to a year for biometrics.

The UK just made entering the country much easier and after not seeing my family for 2 years I’m desperate to go back, however I’m worried we will miss the biometrics appointment by being away for 10 days. We are moving to a new house in a couple of weeks and don’t know anyone to check our mail for us while away.

Any advice is very welcome!! Thank you.

It is really hard to know but here is my timeline:

I751 file received April 29th

May 14th check cashed and extension letter sent

Today I received a letter for my biometric. The appointment is scheduled for August 20th and the letter is dated July 24th 

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

06/22/2019: RFE received for new medical

07/02/2019: Went to doctor for new medical

07/11/2019: I-485 approved without new medical exam

07/18/2019: Green Card received in mail

43 minutes ago, Ecaen87 said:

It is impossible to know, they do not follow the same pattern. Sometimes is super fast sometimes it takes over a year. Piece of advise, if you are in the middle of an immigration process do not leave the country unless is for a short period like a week or two.

Thank you! Yes sorry I meant the time between the letter arriving for biometrics and the biometrics appt. I was curious to hear how much notice people have gotten!

And yes totally agree on traveling, I never intend to leave for longer than 10 days as I work here and don’t really have longer to travel anyway! 

11 minutes ago, Nouchigang said:

It is really hard to know but here is my timeline:

I751 file received April 29th

May 14th check cashed and extension letter sent

Today I received a letter for my biometric. The appointment is scheduled for August 20th and the letter is dated July 24th 

Thanks so much for sharing! Yes I know there’s so much variation, was just curious to hear from others to get an idea. So far I haven’t heard anyone having less than 2 weeks notice so it gives me a little reassurance leaving for 10 days 🤞

Is it possible to reschedule? I too have a trip going back to the UK in September for 3 weeks. My ROC was submitted end of July.

Hoping my bio gets waived, from what I have seen on the tracker and on the forum a lot of K1s are.

13 hours ago, Reed1812 said:

Is it possible to reschedule? I too have a trip going back to the UK in September for 3 weeks. My ROC was submitted end of July.

Hoping my bio gets waived, from what I have seen on the tracker and on the forum a lot of K1s are.

It is possible to reschedule before your appointment yes. My concern is that the letter would come while we are away and I would miss it without knowing (they don’t always update the online case tracker from what I hear).

Yes if you were K1 they might waive yours, don’t think mine will be waived as CR1 unfortunately. 

Enjoy your trip!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 12:31 AM, elisabettacarli19 said:

Currently in the same situation. Did you have your biometrics? How long did it take to receive the appointment letter? How much notice did they give you? Thank you :)

I’m so sorry for the late response @elisabettacarli19!

So they sent my letter to my old address even though I had changed my address with them- thankfully USPS forwarded it to me. Letter was dated August 30th but think I got it around September 10th, appointment scheduled for September 24th. So 2 weeks notice! Only bad news was it was scheduled on the day we were meant to fly out to England lol, typical. Managed to shift our flights to a day later anyway and it all worked out. Seems like you usually get 2-3 weeks notice. 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:12 PM, K-UK said:

I’m so sorry for the late response @elisabettacarli19!

So they sent my letter to my old address even though I had changed my address with them- thankfully USPS forwarded it to me. Letter was dated August 30th but think I got it around September 10th, appointment scheduled for September 24th. So 2 weeks notice! Only bad news was it was scheduled on the day we were meant to fly out to England lol, typical. Managed to shift our flights to a day later anyway and it all worked out. Seems like you usually get 2-3 weeks notice. 

Thank you! I really hope i won’t get mine while I’m back home for Christmas. I’m not sure if being out of town is classified as a good reason to reschedule biometrics. fingers crossed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.