R. Wolfe

Got a biometrics appointment for a cancelled AoS?

12 posts in this topic

We filed the Adjustment of Status and it got rejected because the payment failed.

So we refiled and that's been going along fine.

Last week we got both a Request for Evidence (more tax forms) and a Biometrics appointment letter.

The issue is that the Biometrics letter has the applciation number from the previous, rejected,  AoS (MSC#########) on it.

I haven't been able to get in touch with a human at USCIS and the appointment date is approaching.

My question is whether we should go to this appointment.

Is there any chance that the Biometrics appointment could be for the current AoS? Would they schedule a Biometrics appointment while waiting on an RFE?

I'd really like to be able to just update the MSC number to insure that this Biometrics data goes to the current application so things will process ASAP, but I also fear messing things up further and incurring additional delays or fees. Any ideas or help is much appreciated. I will continue to sit on hold with USCIS as time and phone charge allow.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, x3n said:

We filed the Adjustment of Status and it got rejected because the payment failed.

So we refiled and that's been going along fine.

Last week we got both a Request for Evidence (more tax forms) and a Biometrics appointment letter.

The issue is that the Biometrics letter has the applciation number from the previous, rejected,  AoS (MSC#########) on it.

I haven't been able to get in touch with a human at USCIS and the appointment date is approaching.

My question is whether we should go to this appointment.

Is there any chance that the Biometrics appointment could be for the current AoS? Would they schedule a Biometrics appointment while waiting on an RFE?

I'd really like to be able to just update the MSC number to insure that this Biometrics data goes to the current application so things will process ASAP, but I also fear messing things up further and incurring additional delays or fees. Any ideas or help is much appreciated. I will continue to sit on hold with USCIS as time and phone charge allow.

Just go. Even if it has the wrong case number, the biometrics will be in the system, and there's chance they will reuse them for the correct one (it happened with my I-90, they reused the biometrics from a canceled EAD renewal).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I would go and bring your NOA from the current filing. Show them the NOA and let them know what happened. Maybe they can take care of it there and match it up with your open AOS case. That way you can go ahead and get your biometrics done.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

There would be no receipt number for your rejected AOS from last time. I would nit miss this biometrics apointment, very likely its for your current and only active AOS.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, arken said:

There would be no receipt number for your rejected AOS from last time. I would nit miss this biometrics apointment, very likely its for your current and only active AOS.

There are case/receipt numbers for rejected applications. They keep track of everything. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

There are case/receipt numbers for rejected applications. They keep track of everything. 

Good to know, I stand corrected.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unless we hear otherwise from the USCIS we'll definitely go to the appointment.

I'm also still trying to speak to a human at USCIS. Wait time this morning is estimated at 69 minutes so I have my charger plugged in and will see if I can endure that awful on-hold music long enough to get through....

I finally got through to a human on the USCIS help line. They confirmed that the biometrics appointment was for the cancelled AoS, but had someone call us the next day to see if the info could be moved to the current application.  That person confirmed that it could not be transferred but that we should go to the appointment so that the biometics data would be taken and put into the system. Then, later, when the current AoS wants our biometric data they might (or might not) see it in the system already and so not require a fresh appointment.

So we'll see. I am also curious to know what they are going to do regarding payment. I'll post further updates if anything interesting happens.

• 2 weeks later...

To update, the Biometrics appointment was a bit rough but it's done. 

The appointment was on August 2nd and a few days later we got another Biometrics Appointment letter. This one was for the current AoS application and it was mailed on July 29th. I suspect if they had been a few days slower they would have seen our Biometrics info in the system and not sent this out. So now we're doing the musak hour each morning trying to get through to USCIS again. My hope is that they can check now, see the info, and say we don't have to go to another biometrics appointment. Maybe it will also shave a few weeks off of our wait time for the interview. We'll see. At least it doesn't seem like they are charging us for the extra appointment(s).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
19 hours ago, x3n said:

No luck. They say we have to go to  the second Biometrics appointment or it might jeopardize our application. Kind of annoying given how time consuming and painful the first visit was.

Sorry to hear that. They could have used the biometrics you just did. Seems like a fairly ridiculous procedure, but that's the USCIS for you. 

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up, we went to the second appointment. Got there earlier and so the wait was much shorter. It also only took them about 5 minutes to do the photo and prints once she was called up (last time it took about 20 minutes, and both people working there, because the print machine isn't compatible with the shape of my wife's fingers). So a better experience the second time around - even it means the first time was a complete waste of time.

Now we're waiting to hopefully get an interview date soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.