Joe Kano

Scheduling Oath, Can that be postponed

32 posts in this topic

My wife has her interview next month and from looking at similiar timelines in Dallas area, they are doing oath taking about 2 weeks later.

I have 5 day trip booked to Cancun in first week of September and another trip to Cancun in 2nd week of October.

So it look like her Oath taking will be around the end of the month August.

Can you ask for them to delay your Oath ceremony?  Has anyone dealt with something like this?  Trying to get a US passport expedited for travel within 3 days just seems like too much of hassle.  

43 minutes ago, Joe Kano said:

Can you ask for them to delay your Oath ceremony?  Has anyone dealt with something like this?  Trying to get a US passport expedited for travel within 3 days just seems like too much of hassle.  

I'd cancel the trips rather than mess around with trying to change oath dates if it was me.

Given some of us have been waiting many years to get this completed, if I had the option to get it fully done with, I'd grab the chance.

Edited by bing10

16 hours ago, bing10 said:

I'd cancel the trips rather than mess around with trying to change oath dates if it was me.

Given some of us have been waiting many years to get this completed, if I had the option to get it fully done with, I'd grab the chance.

My wife has a 10 year greencard, she's good.  When my wife gets her US Citizenship,  then she has to go thru getting  US Passport which is now taking a long time, plus she will have to apply for dual citizenship in her country if she wants to vote and or own land.

Your priority and my priorities are different, I rather go on my trips and relax from work for a while.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Joe Kano said:

My wife has a 10 year greencard, she's good.  When my wife gets her US Citizenship,  then she has to go thru getting  US Passport which is now taking a long time, plus she will have to apply for dual citizenship in her country if she wants to vote and or own land.

Your priority and my priorities are different, I rather go on my trips and relax from work for a while.  

So why ask here if you already know the answer to your question? Defeats every reasonable logic, don't you think?

2 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

No problem, if you really aren't bothered when she gets it. Yes, you can re-schedule your oath, the procedure as I understand it is to write a letter to your local field office requesting it be re-scheduled.

My concerns would be:

1. They don't process the letter in time, and you get marked as a no-show

2. They do process the letter, but you go back into the system for a long-time waiting for another oath date

Edited by bing10

1 hour ago, bing10 said:

No problem, if you really aren't bothered when she gets it. Yes, you can re-schedule your oath, the procedure as I understand it is to write a letter to your local field office requesting it be re-scheduled.

My concerns would be:

1. They don't process the letter in time, and you get marked as a no-show

2. They do process the letter, but you go back into the system for a long-time waiting for another oath date

1. What happens if you get marked as a no-show?

2. What you would guestimate for another oath date? Seems like they do them quit often to me.

2 minutes ago, Joe Kano said:

2. What you would guestimate for another oath date? Seems like they do them quit often to me.

1. They may re-schedule you automatically, or they may close your case.

2. Probably another month or so, but the risk is your case goes into a black hole, and you have to fight for another date.

The problem for me with USCIS is there is often no logic to what they will do. It's not an efficient operation, and when things go wrong, or are out of the normal, it can be a nightmare trying to correct things.

6 minutes ago, bing10 said:

1. They may re-schedule you automatically, or they may close your case.

2. Probably another month or so, but the risk is your case goes into a black hole, and you have to fight for another date.

The problem for me with USCIS is there is often no logic to what they will do. It's not an efficient operation, and when things go wrong, or are out of the normal, it can be a nightmare trying to correct things.

Thanks for the answers and replies.  I am hoping they will let my wife schedule her oath later, I am going to have her take her travel itenerary and hopefully they will work with her. 

10 minutes ago, Joe Kano said:

Don’t risk it, they may consider it abandoned. The oath notice has instructions for if you want to reschedule, send that in in advance of the scheduled date. (I can’t check the exact wording on my notice as myuscis site seems to be part of the broad DNS outage). If you can’t make two scheduled appointments I believe they cancel the application.  Better to discuss with the IO while at the interview.

20 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Don’t risk it, they may consider it abandoned. The oath notice has instructions for if you want to reschedule, send that in in advance of the scheduled date. (I can’t check the exact wording on my notice as myuscis site seems to be part of the broad DNS outage). If you can’t make two scheduled appointments I believe they cancel the application.  Better to discuss with the IO while at the interview.

That is the plan to discuss it with IO, I have found most people in this world are reasonable when you explain things to them

👍👍

Website is up again, here it is 

If you cannot attend your scheduled naturalization ceremony, return the notice, Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony, to your local USCIS office, along with a letter requesting a new date and explaining why you cannot attend the scheduled naturalization ceremony. Failing to appear more than once for your naturalization ceremony may lead to a denial of your application.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yes you can, I see this all the time in the Swedish groups on Facebook. People had planned trips to Sweden to visit family and wouldn't get their passports in time, so they decided to postpone the oath ceremony and travel on their greencards in the meanwhile. Doesn't seem to have been an issue for any of them. I believe the majority of them informed the officer about their planned trips at the actual interview though. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

My wife and 7 years later, my mother-in-law each had their citizenship test and interview in Dallas.  And each one was sworn in as a US Citizen that same day they tested/interviewed.  My wife was in a large group of about hundred.  My mother-in-law was in a very small group.  I think they have an officer (or whatever) authorized to administer the oath on hand, and the interviewer will ask her if she wants to be sworn in that day or later.  Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.