southernchic

divorce from visa holder w/out AOS

27 posts in this topic

I am now officially a member of the "It just didn't work out VJ caucus".

Since my husband moved to the US a year ago on his K-3 visa, I never applied for a change in his status (AOS). Bascially, when he arrived I learned that he'd lied to me about something really important throughout our two year relationship and made things worse by telling more small lies once he was here. I tried to see if I could move past the dishonesty and other challenges, but just couldn't. I am a USC seeking the divorce against his wishes. Once its finalized he will legally have to leave the country. This I know.

My question is: If he decides to return home to Ethiopia will it help his future chances of returning to the US? I have a feeling that he won't want to leave. My thinking is that if he has a record of living in the US for a year and moving back when he was legally supposed to his chances of returning will be better in the future than if he'd never been here at all or overstayed his visa.

I know that no one can know for sure but I am very curious about others opinions/experiences. (BTW, I have no intention of applying for the AOS.)

6/2004 - Met Ethiopia (I was there on business). Spent two days together.

2004 - 05 - Fell in love

8/05 - Visited Ethiopia

9/05 - GOT MARRIED!!!

I-130

12/21/05 - Mailed I-130

12/27/05 - Rcv'd NOA1

I-129F (K-3)

01/22/06 - Mailed in I-129F

1/29/06 - I-129F Rcvd

02/02/05 - Recvd NOA1

3/24/06 - K-3 application approved - mailed to NVC

3/29/06 - Recvd I-797 NOA 2 via mail (less than 60 days)

4/06 - Recv'd letter from NVC

4/06 - Found out that there was a mixup at the Embassy - Somehow they didn't have his mailing address

5/2/06 - Husband meets with officials at Ethiopian Embassy - Recv'd Packet 4 (instructions for visa)

5/12/06 - Send affidavit of support, evidence of relationship via DHL to Sultan in Addis

5/16/06 - DHL arrives in Addis

5/18/06 - US Embassy told him he would get a same day interview when he submits his visa app (w/medical, police, affidavit of support, and proof of relationship)

5/23/06 - Submits his visa application. ITS APPROVED!!!!!!

5/24/06 - Picks up his passport and visa envelope.

6/26/06 - Arrives in the US!!!!

EAD

7/22/06 - Mailed EAD form

8/24/06 - NOA arrives in the mail

9/7/06 - Biometrics Appointment

10/03/06 - Work Authorization Card Arrives!!!

10/4/06 - Applied for SSN

10/17/06 - SSN Arrives in the Mail!!

11/21/06 - First Day at Work.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

His chances would be worse if he overstys any visa that he is on now, and could face a bar. Otherwise, I dont see where it would help or hinder any future chance.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

On what basis could he seek to return to the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Yes if he overstays it would be a whole new ball game

Edited by shona

Filing I 360 3rd Nov 2005

Prima facie determination received from Vermont 20th Nov 2005

DIVORCED JANUARY 25th 2006

EAD applied for again (jeez I need to work ) 28th Feb 2006

Removal hearing July 12th 2006

RFE's received for I360 and EAD 13th October 2006

NOID received March 2007

EAD denied March 2007

Back to Immigration Court April 18th 2007

NOID request for evidence received USCIS 3rd May 2007

I 360 touched May 31st 2007

I 360 actually approved May 30th 2007

EAD filed June 23rd 2007

I 485 filed July 24th 2007

NOA1 for I 485 August 1st 2007

EAD approved August 6th 2007

Medical with CS August 28th 2007

Biometrics August 24th 2007

Paperwork sent to Immigration Judge to finally terminate removal proceedings September 10th 2007

GREEN CARD FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 4 YEARS September 9th 2008 :D

N-400 Filed online 03/04/2018

NOA online 03/05/2018- projected Citizenship completion date December 2018

I don't know what kind of visa he might seek. I know that he really wants to be here. I'm just trying to give him some friendly advice and help him see that its in his best interest to go home.

2004 - 05 - Fell in love

8/05 - Visited Ethiopia

9/05 - GOT MARRIED!!!

I-130

12/21/05 - Mailed I-130

12/27/05 - Rcv'd NOA1

I-129F (K-3)

1/29/06 - I-129F Rcvd

02/02/05 - Recvd NOA1

4/06 - Found out that there was a mixup at the Embassy - Somehow they didn't have his mailing address

5/2/06 - Husband meets with officials at Ethiopian Embassy - Recv'd Packet 4 (instructions for visa)

5/12/06 - Send affidavit of support, evidence of relationship via DHL to Sultan in Addis

5/18/06 - US Embassy told him he would get a same day interview when he submits his visa app (w/medical, police, affidavit of support, and proof of relationship)

EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

I am sorry to hear about the end of your relationship. As for your question, it seems that if he were to leave now w/o having overstayed his visa, then it would be better than actually overstaying the visa past the statutory period, and having the overstay in the files if he eventually files for another visa. This is just my opinion though.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am assuming the lies he told you could possibly effect an argument from him that the marriage was valid on the face of it?

I guess I am asking if he could petition to stay on his own merits somehow and if you would protest against that or not?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I don't know what kind of visa he might seek. I know that he really wants to be here. I'm just trying to give him some friendly advice and help him see that its in his best interest to go home.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski%27s_...Work_in_the_USA

Marriage would be the obvious one.

Most people do not have alternates.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I am assuming the lies he told you could possibly effect an argument from him that the marriage was valid on the face of it?

I guess I am asking if he could petition to stay on his own merits somehow and if you would protest against that or not?

If my husband petitioned to stay here on his own I wouldn't protest it. I'm just anxious to move on with my life.

re: the validity of the relationship. I believe it was valid. i just think that there are some people who are so desperate to come to the US that they will embellish the truth to appear more compatible with their USC mates than they really are. That was my situation. He hid his religion from me until he arrived in the US. Int'l relationships are hard enough. Its too much to be with someone who's not real.

2004 - 05 - Fell in love

8/05 - Visited Ethiopia

9/05 - GOT MARRIED!!!

I-130

12/21/05 - Mailed I-130

12/27/05 - Rcv'd NOA1

I-129F (K-3)

1/29/06 - I-129F Rcvd

02/02/05 - Recvd NOA1

EAD

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

So sorry to hear that Southernchic.

About his status and future visas, maybe consult an immigration attorney. If he goes home now I don't think it would

hinder him from future spousal/fiance visas, except for the failed relationship questions from a CO at an interview who will obviously see a failed marriage and wonder why before granting a second one.

Maybe with counselling things can get worked out but it sounds like your mind is made up.

Religious compatibility is my priority so I understand where you are coming from, still maybe with time and patience it would work. I am sorry.

God bless (F)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

so it ended between you two because of him hiding his religion from you?

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Timeline

southernchick,

You do not apply for his change of status - he does. You do have to support his application - unless he applies after the divorce is final - by sponsoring him financially with an I-864 affidavit of support.

He is supposed to leave the country when his period of authorized stay, as indicated on his I-94, expires. He can apply to extend the stay.

Yodrak

I am now officially a member of the "It just didn't work out VJ caucus".

Since my husband moved to the US a year ago on his K-3 visa, I never applied for a change in his status (AOS). Bascially, when he arrived I learned that he'd lied to me about something really important throughout our two year relationship and made things worse by telling more small lies once he was here. I tried to see if I could move past the dishonesty and other challenges, but just couldn't. I am a USC seeking the divorce against his wishes. Once its finalized he will legally have to leave the country. This I know.

My question is: If he decides to return home to Ethiopia will it help his future chances of returning to the US? I have a feeling that he won't want to leave. My thinking is that if he has a record of living in the US for a year and moving back when he was legally supposed to his chances of returning will be better in the future than if he'd never been here at all or overstayed his visa.

I know that no one can know for sure but I am very curious about others opinions/experiences. (BTW, I have no intention of applying for the AOS.)

Edited by Yodrak

so it ended between you two because of him hiding his religion from you?

No, it didn't end just because he hid his religion from me. But even if I did, I I would be totally and completely justified. Dishonesty is completely unacceptable ESP in a long distance, international relationship, which is why I mentioned it. There were other issues but at the end of the day I was with someone whom I could not trust.

2004 - 05 - Fell in love

8/05 - Visited Ethiopia

9/05 - GOT MARRIED!!!

I-130

12/21/05 - Mailed I-130

12/27/05 - Rcv'd NOA1

I-129F (K-3)

1/29/06 - I-129F Rcvd

02/02/05 - Recvd NOA1

EAD

Do you not want him to stay? I know you're divorcing but do you really want him to have to leave?

Hi. I don't have a problem with my husband staying in the United States. If he's able to do so on his own that would be great. HOWEVER, I don't want to be financially responsible for him and do not intend to sponsor him.

2004 - 05 - Fell in love

8/05 - Visited Ethiopia

9/05 - GOT MARRIED!!!

I-130

12/21/05 - Mailed I-130

12/27/05 - Rcv'd NOA1

I-129F (K-3)

1/29/06 - I-129F Rcvd

02/02/05 - Recvd NOA1

EAD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.