LibertyBears

AOS from ESTA / abandoned K1

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We went to chase yesterday to open a joint bank account together, husband is an existing user and I did not require SSN 

HOWEVER

they did need US address proof which I did not have in form of :

- employer paystub (no EAD not working)
- drivers licence (never learnt to drive whilst in UK, can i apply for a learners permit here? )

- cellphone bill (going to see if I can get a phone plan without ssn today)

- utility bill (living with parents so this doesn't seem possible currently)

- US bank account (are there any banks that would let open an account without ssn or address proof 😕 )

Timeline
14 hours ago, Kaemouzy said:

You can apply for your driver's license in new York under the green light law. https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/driver-licenses-and-green-light-law

Thank you so much for this!! Going to apply immediately for one

thank you thank you 

Timeline
14 hours ago, Kaemouzy said:

You can apply for your driver's license in new York under the green light law. https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/driver-licenses-and-green-light-law

wait unfortunately I cannot apply for this yet as I don't have address proof

I don't think in my current situation I can obtain any of these to have as address proof...(listed below)

Seems so far A needs B but to get B I need A 😂

Going to try get a phone contract though regardless today and see how that goes.

I really don't want to give less evidence and get a RFE again if possible 

DMV requires one of the following as address proof:

Assisted Living or Nursing Home Statement (if issued within 1 year)

Annual Social Security Statement (SSA-1099) (if issued within the current year)

Bank Statement (if issued within 1 year)

Cancelled Check (if issued within 1 year)

College Photo ID Card and Official Transcript - United States (if issued within 1 year)

Credit Card Statement (if issued within 1 year)

DMV Statement of Identity (PDF) (MV-45B) (for applicants who can be considered a disenfranchised, homeless youth)

DMV Statement of Identity and/or Residence (PDF) (MV-45A) (for Applicants Represented by Government or Government Approved Facilities)

DMV Statement of Identity and/or Residence by Parent/Guardian (PDF) (MV-45) IF UNDER AGE 21

Federal or New York State Income Tax or Earning Statement (SSA-1099, SSA-1098) (if issued within the current year)

High School ID Card with Report Card or Official Transcript - United States (if issued within 1 year)

Homeowners/Renters Insurance (Policy, Proof of Claim) (if issued within 1 year)

Income Tax W-2 - Federal or New York State (if issued within 1 year)

IRS Tax Transcript or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number Issuance Letter (if issued within 1 year)

Jury Duty Notice (if issued within 1 year)

Life Insurance Policy or Current Statement (if issued within 1 year and in effect at least 2 years)

Medical Examiner's Certificate with New York State address and signature (for CDL medical exam requirement) (if issued within 1 year)

Military Orders that are still in effect

Mortgage statement (if issued within 1 year)

United States Municipal ID Card with photo and New York State address (e.g. New York City ID card)

New York State Certificate of Title

New York State Driver License/Permit/Non-Driver ID Card (current or expired less than 2 years)

New York State/New York City Pistol Permit

New York State Professional License

Parent/Spouse ID (in the same last name or with proof of relationship) (if issued within 1 year)

Pay Stub - United States Computer Printed (if issued within 1 year)

Postmarked mail (if postmarked within 1 year)

Property or School Tax Bills or Receipts (must reflect current address on mailing portion and portion stating what property is being taxed) (if issued within the current year)

Property Deed

Residential Lease (if issued within 1 year)

Retirement Statement (if issued within 1 year)

Selective Service Card

Supplemental Security Income Award Statement (if issued within 1 year)

Unemployment Benefit Statement (if issued within 1 year)

Utility Bill (e.g. phone or electricity) (if issued within 1 year)

Voter Registration (if issued within 1 year)

Welfare Benefit Statement (if issued within 1 year)

1 hour ago, LibertyBears said:

Thank you so much for this!! Going to apply immediately for one

thank you thank you 

@LibertyBears I would take the cell phone bill route, then get the bank account and then get a state ID first. You can apply for the driver's license later since you have to likely study for the test and then schedule a driving test.  

Alternatively, your in-laws could draw a lease, get it notarized, then get joint bank account and state ID. 

I think you have plenty of evidence, though. You just got married. I would just make sure to continue building your evidence for your interview. 

Question about your husband's employer sponsored insurance - does he have access to his benefits online? I know that when I added my husband all I had to do was click on "qualifying event" and then, the system prompted me to add his name and all pertaining information. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Oh the address proof... it's even worse here in MS where they want two of it for everything. I thought I was holding the holy grail when I showed the bank lady my social security card still attached to the address portion of it. She looked at me and asked: don't you have anything better? Like a utility bill! I was flabbergasted. 😂😂

Edited by Letspaintcookies

For banking, at least in my experience I was able to get a supervisor to merge my husband onto my existing account, thereby making it a joint account. It just required the marriage certificate and his passport. He did not have his SSN yet or his EAD. We did not open a *new* account, because there wasn't a need to.

Dealing with the DMV is a whole other world of.. stupidity. Typically you will not be able to get an ID or license without having an EAD, SSN, and some kind of mail proof. And if you have never driven before in any country, you won't be able to fast track through the license process either.

IIRC the order we went in was:

SSN (before marriage because of the K1 route)

certificate of marriage

bank (before the SSN arrived)

gophone contract

added him to insurances and other bills

EAD

DMV for fasttrack license process

Green Card

back to SSA for updated SSN

back to DMV for full license

once he had a job he was quickly able to obtain credit and other bills with our names jointly.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
2 hours ago, yuna628 said:

For banking, at least in my experience I was able to get a supervisor to merge my husband onto my existing account, thereby making it a joint account. It just required the marriage certificate and his passport. He did not have his SSN yet or his EAD. We did not open a *new* account, because there wasn't a need to.

Could I ask which bank this was with please?

I just emailed Chase and they told me that I will still require address proof to be added to his existing account... 

19 minutes ago, LibertyBears said:

Could I ask which bank this was with please?

I just emailed Chase and they told me that I will still require address proof to be added to his existing account... 

It was a local bank specific to this state. I have heard some people having success with BoA. Proof of address will be tricky for you at this stage, unless you can get your name added to some kind of current bill. Do you have an NOA1 from the USCIS yet? That would certainly have an address on it.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

It was a local bank specific to this state. I have heard some people having success with BoA. Proof of address will be tricky for you at this stage, unless you can get your name added to some kind of current bill. Do you have an NOA1 from the USCIS yet? That would certainly have an address on it.

No we haven't sent any of the forms for AOS yet, still compiling evidence for the I-130. 

We were going to send them all together at the same time, unless this is not the best plan?

On 6/24/2021 at 11:54 AM, yuna628 said:

I have heard some people having success with BoA.

I managed to get a Bank of America account - they did have to list me as having a foreign address but then listed a us address for mailing the bank card and statements. They then changed it once I got my ssn and work permit. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Timeline

We managed to get a Bank of America joint checking account opened together today! hooray!

They asked for two forms of ID both from me and my husband

They only needed my husband's SSN 

They didn't even ask to see our marriage cert neither did they need to me to sign anything regarding not havng a SSN ( I heard some people talking about a form if they didnt have SSN )

It was super fast and very smooth process!

Thank you to everyone that suggested Bank of America, the lady who helped us to open an account told us that she understood immigration process is tough and that she knows how it feels to be in our shoes as her husband was also an immigrant and he only received his greencard three years ago even though he arrived in 2011

Very grateful to her helping us !

Edited by LibertyBears

On 6/26/2021 at 7:28 PM, LibertyBears said:

We managed to get a Bank of America joint checking account opened together today! hooray!

They asked for two forms of ID both from me and my husband

They only needed my husband's SSN 

They didn't even ask to see our marriage cert neither did they need to me to sign anything regarding not havng a SSN ( I heard some people talking about a form if they didnt have SSN )

It was super fast and very smooth process!

Thank you to everyone that suggested Bank of America, the lady who helped us to open an account told us that she understood immigration process is tough and that she knows how it feels to be in our shoes as her husband was also an immigrant and he only received his greencard three years ago even though he arrived in 2011

Very grateful to her helping us !

@LibertyBears that’s awesome! That will make everything easier! Make sure you use it!

😊

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: Other Timeline
On 6/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, LibertyBears said:

Cancelled Check (if issued within 1 year)

Your name was added to your husband,s Chase account.  Was it a checking account?  If so just write a check.  Checks are processed electronically these days and the image will be back in your account 2-3 days after it is cashed.  You should also be able to get a statement showing your (and his) name on the account and your address.

Homeowners/Renters Insurance (Policy, Proof of Claim) (if issued within 1 year)

Get a renter's policy at his parents address.

Parent/Spouse ID (in the same last name or with proof of relationship) (if issued within 1 year)

Surely you husband has an ID?  Bring your marriage certificate along.

Residential Lease (if issued within 1 year)

Sign a lease with his parents.

Utility Bill (e.g. phone or electricity) (if issued within 1 year)

Does your husband have a cell phone?  They'd probably add your name to the account.  Also, a 2nd phone on an existing account is often the cheapest way to get a cell phone here.

Maybe his parents would add your name to an account or two?  I'm collecting evidence for our Removal of Conditions proof, so earlier today I emailed our fiber internet vendor and asked them to add her name and mail me a statement; they sent back a nice PDF file of a statement showing both names.

Regarding SSN's, they can't be required for benefits.  I had my fiance's name as my insurance beneficiary months before she arrived in the U.S.  They arrived here July 26, 2017.  We were married the next day, and I immediately emailed the benefits change form (no SSN's) so their health/dental/life/disability coverage started Aug. 1.  She (K-1) got her SSN a few days later; the kids had to wait about three months for the employment authorizations to arrive. I kept HR informed as we received the SSN's.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.