Caboose29

Too Good to be True??

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Just saw this posted online, and in a Telegram group:

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-russia-turkey-flights-idUSR4N2N6008

Pay close attention to last sentence.  Anyone have any more information?

Edited by Caboose29

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Been paying close attention to Russia lately as my wife is there right now.  The new cases are ticking upward, and my wife said they were instituting new restrictions in Krasnoyarsk starting this weekend.  She will be there two more weeks and we are hoping there are no issues with her flights.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

But Russia already has had flights from/to the US (albeit limited amount but still). Maybe they will resume pre pandemic schedule? I think that would be good news. I flew myself on June 5th (Almaty-Moscow-JFK) with Aeroflot. As a side note, as @Dashinka said, the new wave is no joke. I got sick with COVID myself few days after my arrival in the US and I’m pretty certain I caught in either in the plane or at the Sheremetyevo airport. 

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline

Did you just transit SVO, or actually go to Russia?  It’s been my understanding Americans could not visit the country, we’ll at least non family members. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, I believe you have to show an immediate family relationship such as a spouse, etc.  We talked about myself going on this trip as I have not been there since 2019, but given the political environment and the fact that I needed to get a new visa, we decided just the wife would go.  There are direct flights from SVO to JFK and MIA.  I also heard they may start resuming flights to China and Korea soon.  Talking to the wife this morning, it seems the population is around 12% vaccinated, and there is not a lot of trust there for many.  I read up on the Russian vaccine and it is on the surface pretty good, but the distrust of the government runs deep.

One other piece of good news.  I saw in a post by @Strawberrymermaid that the consulates in the US are processing three year private visas.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

29 minutes ago, Caboose29 said:

Did you just transit SVO, or actually go to Russia?  It’s been my understanding Americans could not visit the country, we’ll at least non family members. 

Transited but I could enter since I have a Kazakhstan passport. It would be nice if you could get that private visa. I wonder if they’re currently processing them.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The Houston consulate issued me a private visa in like 7 days. But I am his wife and showed all our  marriage certificate, apostille, translation docs etc. ☺️

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

Timeline

I'd also like to ask everyone here their opinion.  I'm a bit concerned about traveling to Russia to visit my fiance before her visa is approved.  Like Paul Whelan, and Trevor Reed, I too am a former Marine.  Am I being a bit paranoid worrying about my safety traveling there?  Last thing I want is to end up being a political pawn in a Russian prison.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:13 PM, Caboose29 said:

I'd also like to ask everyone here their opinion.  I'm a bit concerned about traveling to Russia to visit my fiance before her visa is approved.  Like Paul Whelan, and Trevor Reed, I too am a former Marine.  Am I being a bit paranoid worrying about my safety traveling there?  Last thing I want is to end up being a political pawn in a Russian prison.

You raise a good point. Considering deteriorating relations between the two countries, sadly, I don’t find that possibility absurd….  Obviously, most likely your visit will be fine, but then again, is it 100% guaranteed? Who knows. Have you considered meeting in Turkey for example? 

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

You raise a good point. Considering deteriorating relations between the two countries, I don’t find that possibility absurd….  Obviously, most likely your visit will be fine, but then again, is it 100% guaranteed? Who knows. Have you considered meeting in Turkey for example? 

We met in Turkey last December. We’ve been talking about meeting this fall in Georgia or Armenia.  I’d feel more confident if their release had been secured or at least promised, but right now I just don’t know. 

Just now, Caboose29 said:

We met in Turkey last December. We’ve been talking about meeting this fall in Georgia or Armenia.  I’d feel more confident if their release had been secured or at least promised, but right now I just don’t know. 

Those options sound lovely actually. I think your concerns are legitimate. I imagine you’d want to be relaxed on your vacation as much as possible, so maybe best to avoid stress or overthinking. Something to think about for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 6/18/2021 at 6:59 PM, Caboose29 said:

I have a valid tourist visa with almost 2 years left. I had to cancel my trip for last summer. I’m hoping to visit my fiancé in the fall. 

I just came across this topic. I just visited Russia 2 weeks ago to see my wife and daughter. I used my tourist visa to enter the country. For US citizen, you can only enter if you have a immediate family member such as wife or children. I doubt fiancé counts, unfortunately. It is best to contact Russian consulate. 

In my case, the following was needed.

- Valid passport with any valid Russian visa,

- A copy of the Russian passport of your spouse,
- A copy of the marriage certificate. If the document was not issued by Russian authorities, the certificate must have an apostille and translation into Russian language stamped by any Russian consulate. (My translation was issued by Russian translation companied and it was notarized which did not require a stamp by Russian consulate)
- A negative COVID-test (PCR) taken not earlier than 3 calendar days before the day of your arrival to Russia.

My wife recently told me that a lot of places such as restaurants in Russia require you to show them unique QR code issued to you after vaccination to enter, otherwise you can't. Thus, I heard a lot of people started taking vaccinations there. I hope things get better over there. 

And good luck for your case. I hope you can see your fiancé soon 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.