11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I was reading the instructions for filling out form I-131 to apply for the Advance Parole Document and got a little worried... 😶

I'm not sure I would use it if I got one while I'm waiting for the green card, but I thought I might as well apply as it's free to apply together with the AOS and depending on how long that takes I thought it might give me a chance to go and see family and friends in Sweden together with my husband. I also thought that it could be especially good to have one already in case something were to happen later on.

But reading the instructions it sounds like there's no guarantee that they would let me back in making this very risky. It says that upon returning, even if there was no problem, I would be "an applicant for admission". After everything we've been through with waiting for the K1 visa, the pandemic and all the waiting I just would NOT want to risk anything.

So my question is what experiences you guys have had with this? Is it true that most people apply for it since it's free anyway with the AOS application? Has anyone used it and how did that work out?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Only US citizens are guaranteed entry to the US, so there is no need for worry.  People use an advance parole documents to enter the US every day.  That is the entire purpose of submitting an I-131 in the first place. Personally, I have not seen anyone, with an approved advance parole document, denied entry.  Enjoy your trip.

Many, many people here have used AP to travel during the process.  Relax.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, stuckonyou said:

I was reading the instructions for filling out form I-131 to apply for the Advance Parole Document and got a little worried... 😶

I'm not sure I would use it if I got one while I'm waiting for the green card, but I thought I might as well apply as it's free to apply together with the AOS and depending on how long that takes I thought it might give me a chance to go and see family and friends in Sweden together with my husband. I also thought that it could be especially good to have one already in case something were to happen later on.

But reading the instructions it sounds like there's no guarantee that they would let me back in making this very risky. It says that upon returning, even if there was no problem, I would be "an applicant for admission". After everything we've been through with waiting for the K1 visa, the pandemic and all the waiting I just would NOT want to risk anything.

So my question is what experiences you guys have had with this? Is it true that most people apply for it since it's free anyway with the AOS application? Has anyone used it and how did that work out?

There is no guarantee of being readmitted with a green card, either.

in making this very risky.

Quite the opposite. Although entry is not guaranteed, AP travel is still very low risk.

Has anyone used it and how did that work out?

I recently used my AP 2 weeks ago at Miami International Airport. The circumstances of my previous US entry (i.e. an illegal entry; "Entry Without Inspection") was not questioned at all. A recently issued NOID (w/ 04/29 date on the notice) for my I-485 was brought up by the CBP secondary inspection area officer but I was also carrying the specific document that will help me succinctly respond to USCIS' concerns listed on the NOID. If you have a connecting domestic flight you should allot enough time to make the connection. I almost missed my connection to San Francisco.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
19 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Only US citizens are guaranteed entry to the US, so there is no need for worry.  People use an advance parole documents to enter the US every day.  That is the entire purpose of submitting an I-131 in the first place. Personally, I have not seen anyone, with an approved advance parole document, denied entry.  Enjoy your trip.

Many, many people here have used AP to travel during the process.  Relax.

Thank you. This makes me feel a whole lot better about it. ☺️

Do you (or anyone else that reads this!) happen to know if it's okay to write TBD (To Be Decided - if that's even a correct term) on date of intended departure and length of trip? I didn't see anything about this in the instructions, but I don't have an intended departure or length of trip, so... Or would I just make an educated guess and then if it doesn't turn out like that it would be fine? What I write wouldn't be on the actual Advance Parole Document, or would it? 😅

I'm also wondering about the "On a separate sheet of paper, explain how you qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant issue of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered." in part 7... I don't have any special circumstances right now. All I have is applying for AOS and maybe wanting to go visit family and friends in Sweden before getting the green card depending on how long that would take. But looking at the instructions it almost seems like you need to have a really good reason for this.

I also wonder if I should put that I intend to use it for "more than one trip" just in case that would be needed.

It just seems that this would be easier to fill out if you actually had specific travel plans. 😝

18 hours ago, HRQX said:

Quite the opposite. Although entry is not guaranteed, AP travel is still very low risk.

I recently used my AP 2 weeks ago at Miami International Airport. The circumstances of my previous US entry (i.e. an illegal entry; "Entry Without Inspection") was not questioned at all. A recently issued NOID (w/ 04/29 date on the notice) for my I-485 was brought up by the CBP secondary inspection area officer but I was also carrying the specific document that will help me succinctly respond to USCIS' concerns listed on the NOID. If you have a connecting domestic flight you should allot enough time to make the connection. I almost missed my connection to San Francisco.

Thank you for sharing. This really helps. ❤️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

Do you (or anyone else that reads this!) happen to know if it's okay to write TBD (To Be Decided - if that's even a correct term) on date of intended departure and length of trip?

That is fine.  Other have done that, too.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

24 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

Or would I just make an educated guess and then if it doesn't turn out like that it would be fine?

Dates not needed. Put "TBD" for the Date of the trip; and "As needed" for the purpose of the trips.

You might need to handwrite "TBD" in that field if the PDF editor doesn't let you.

And select the box for Multiple trips.

But looking at the instructions it almost seems like you need to have a really good reason for this.

Since you are an Adjustment applicant an explanation is not required. In the instructions section pay attention to the "and", "or", etc. So the relevant info reads as: "If you are in the United States, you must attach: (1) A copy of any document issued to you by USCIS showing your present status, if any, in the United States; and ... (3) If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of a USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment application;"

• Note that the (2) line ended in "; or"
  • For (3) line purposes filing everything (e.g. I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets) concurrently is sufficient.

Per the above, what I did was optional. I just put "To visit my younger brother and his family" in 1.a. of Part 4.

the actual Advance Parole Document

Filing Form I-765 is also free. Odds are you'll get a Combo Card: "Serves as I-512 Advance Parole"

ED844284-A0F0-4D1C-A5BE-2564B1EA6C51.jpeg

Edited by HRQX

4 hours ago, kkmk said:

what if you travel for the reason you did not state on the advance parole form? would they (the port of entry officer) know?

If the CBP officer asks about your reason for travel, you have to answer truthfully.  But they likely won't care and won't ask.  What they care about the most would be whether your AP is valid, your AOS is still pending, and that you didn't stay outside the US for too long.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Chancy said:

If the CBP officer asks about your reason for travel, you have to answer truthfully.  But they likely won't care and won't ask.  What they care about the most would be whether your AP is valid, your AOS is still pending, and that you didn't stay outside the US for too long.

Not that I would plan to stay outside the US for more than perhaps two weeks at the most, but now I'm curious...

What would be considered "too long" in a situation like this?

I'm thinking if something serious were to happen either before or during the trip. For example, if a family member were to get seriously ill or something along those lines. Something that might be a reason for a somewhat longer trip.

32 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

What would be considered "too long" in a situation like this?

It depends on certain factors but essentially do NOT:

• miss the I-485 appointment, etc.; or

• fail to respond to a RFIE, NOID, etc.; or

• try to return to the US after the AP document has expired

The following user was able to return without issues after a 6 month trip:

That same user then left the US again but stayed in Canada beyond the AP document expiration date:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.