ajomr

Dual citizenship conflicting with Oath of Allegiance

36 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Sartre said:

has absolutely no problems swearing allegiance to each country

Hi there Sartre, thanks for your reply!

I have no internal qualms about saying that I am loyal to this or relinquish that. I totally get that I can have dual (or in your case triple!) citizenship. I'm not one bit worried about that.

And if we're being honest, I don't take these oaths and pledges to flags and whatnot too heavily. I'm very clear about my own set of principals and values, and all these symbolic gestures and ceremonies don't exactly land anywhere impactful as far as my feelings towards one country or another whether I am a citizen of that country or not.

ALL (not yelling, just emphasizing 🙂) that I am saying with all of this, is today we can say "yeah don't make a big deal of it..." but you don't know what tomorrow brings.

There's some saying out there that I'm blanking on at the moment, but it's related to the importance of drawing out contracts and written agreements even though you 100% positively trust the other party, and you're absolutely sure that nothing can go wrong. I wish I remembered how the saying went (something about what you can imagine or can't imagine... anyways...), I think you can apply the same logic here.

My one and only concern with this whole pledge thing is that in some rare hypothetical scenario, where, let's just say a sociopathic man-child bigot and conman somehow becomes president and staffs his entire administration with far-right nationalists, and even though this is totally unfathomable that such a thing could happen in the land of the free, but let's imagine this new administration begins enforcing fascist-leaning policies that seek to, maybe purge the voting rights of certain people they believe might have opposing political leanings. And obviously, they'll try to find every sneaky way to do so.

In this completely fictional, far-fetched story, I believe one could quite easily interpret taking the oath as it is written, while maintaining citizenship with another country, as an act of perjury. Your very first act as a new US citizen! 

So, yes — this scenario is extremely unlikely and I'm probably sounding paranoid (but these US government procedures kind of make you feel that way, don't they? I mean some recommend you do all of this with a lawyer!)

And yes — I've already made the decision that I'm just going to say the oath and not make a bid deal of it. In fact, I've already signed the N-400 and sent it in.

I started this thread just to get a sense if anyone who is keeping dual citizenship might have had similar concerns and maybe asked to modify the wording of the oath, or something of that sort. And if so, I was curious to know how that went.

But It seems that all who replied just took the oath. So I'll fall in line and do the same 🙂

38 minutes ago, Sartre said:

I meant to add the discussion on the Supreme Court rulings on dual citizenship.  Basically a person can be loyal to two or more countries. The link below will provide some guidance to what you are seeking and also steer you to additional research.

https://citizenpath.com/dual-citizenship-in-the-us/

Thanks Sartre 🙂

Wasn't familiar with this ruling.

All is good

I'll sleep well!, provided I overcome my late night nomophobia 🐰

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 5/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, ajomr said:

Hi Timona,

Thanks for your guidance on this.

I have Israeli citizenship (full disclosure: not to turn this into a political issue, I was hesitant to write which country I'm from especially due to the recent events. I feel depressed and honestly rather ashamed of what is happening there 😕)

That being said, I prefer not to give up my Israeli citizenship, and I know for certain that it is perfectly fine with both countries that I hold this dual citizenship.

I know I'm probably reading too much into this oath thing, and what I found from my online research has said this, more or less.

But with the future being unknown, I'd rather not make declarations that I know are not true, or declarations of renouncing citizenship to Israel.

I'm convinced that I'm not the first to deal with this dilemma, so I'm wondering if there are any ways to work around this without creating too much complication for myself.

Why do you feel ashamed when your country is doing what it takes to protect its own citizen? 

1 minute ago, LonelyGringo21 said:

This is just...

Not really an issue.    Tons of US /PI Duals

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

4 hours ago, LonelyGringo21 said:

So, my wife will relinquish her PH citizenship & then re-apply to become a new PH citizen??

Yes, but the process is straightforward.  Hardest part would probably be the flight/drive to the PH consulate.

Also, in case you haven't done Report of Marriage yet, make sure you do so before the trip to reacquire citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.