NYBEtt

Recent Experience with Expedited Passport Agencies

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

NYBEtt, many many THANKS for updating us, very useful information!  I really appreciate you took the time to explain it.  I have an international travel coming up this Summer and I might need to do this depending on when I get scheduled for the oath ceremony.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
On 6/11/2021 at 10:47 PM, Coco&Kitten said:

NYBEtt, many many THANKS for updating us, very useful information!  I really appreciate you took the time to explain it.  I have an international travel coming up this Summer and I might need to do this depending on when I get scheduled for the oath ceremony.

Good luck and please report back your experience!

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
On 6/11/2021 at 8:13 AM, NYBEtt said:

I am here to report on my recent success being able to grab an appointment at my local US Dept of State Passport Agency, using the Online Passport System. This is for same-day (or next day perhaps) passport service and there is a $60 expedite fee on top of regular passport fees.

First off, from the website:

You may schedule an appointment if you are traveling within 2 weeks or need a foreign visa within 4 weeks; however, the appointment cannot occur more than 3 business days before your date of travel, or 10 days if you require a visa.

You do not need to have a life-or-death emergency to make an appointment but you must be traveling within 3 business days of your appointment date.

To make an appointment go here: https://passportappointment.travel.state.gov/

Now here is the important information I was able to figure out by waking up at godly hours throughout the night:

Appointments open up at exactly 5:00AM (EST), 13 days in advance. And they will go quickly. By 5:02, most passport agencies only had a couple of appointments left. Los Angeles had already been booked up completely. A list of agencies can be found here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

Example:

Say you are traveling on July 17, then you can make an appointment at a passport agency for either July 14, July 15, or July 16. In order to make an appointment for July 14 you should be ready to hit refresh on the passport appointment website on July 1 at 5:00AM EST  (i.e. 13 days before July 14). If you don't find anything for July 14, you can try again on July 2 (for July 15) and July 3 (for July 16). Another tip, if you are flexible with times: choose a time slot at half past the hour and later in the day (e.g. 11:30AM or 2:30PM) because earlier appointments on the hour go away quicker and you will get an error after you've selected a slot that is already booked.

Some passport agencies (from what I've noticed: Buffalo, Detroit, and Vermont) might have appointments available until a little later but most every agency will be fully booked by 7AM (if not sooner). If you are lucky, you may even find an appointment at any random time of the day (in which case grab it quickly if it's 3 business days before your travel date!), but your best shot is to make an appointment when slots open up at 5AM EST.

I hope this can help the folks who are in the same boat as us, i.e. who had international travel planned just days after their naturalization ceremonies. I will report back after the visit.

@TBoneTX Any chance of pinning this to the top of the forum? Cheers

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

Timeline

I am back to report on my experience applying for a passport at a US Passport Agency (in NYC specifically). For information on how to get an appointment at any US Passport Agency for urgent travel (i.e. any travel within 3 business days) you can read my post here (or scroll up).

Abridged version (aka TL;DR version): Appointment was at 2:30PM. Had passport in hand by 6:00PM!!

Too Long version:

I arrived 20 minutes before my appointment and the guard told me to return 5 minutes before my schedule time, at which point they would call everyone with a 2:30PM appointment to come in. The process gives you good hope for a quick result when you finally enter. The guards outside are nice, tell you that you will be in for 40 minutes and will get your passport no later that 2 hours after your registration. 

After entering you go through a metal detector, smooth ride. 

Then you wait to be helped. After a 10 minute wait, it’s your turn and a federal employee checks your documents, tells you everything is okay. You are super happy! What a smooth registration you think …. However, this is only a check to see if your appointment is valid. 

You get a number and are directed to the 10th floor … don’t be shocked when you enter. There are 30 windows but all except 3 are draped and 20 ppl waiting ahead of you - some of them arrived 2 hours before you … 

When it’s finally your turn, your documents are verified, you take an oath stating all your documents are valid, and pay your dues. 

You then get the notice that your passport will be ready after a minimum wait of three hours 😩. In my case, it was 4pm so I was expected to be waiting until 7pm. I was told the outside door closes at 5pm. So, I had 60 minutes to run outside, grab a sandwich, and get back into the building before security locks the door. 

Luckily, my passport was ready by 6pm so I picked it up with all my documents (including my original naturalization certificate) and I am now free to travel without restrictions once again!

Side note:
You absolutely need to be traveling within 3 business days to be allowed into the building....but they don't seem to mind whether or not you actually intend to travel within 3 business days. A woman trying to get a passport for her 1-month old baby had travel plans 6 days out and the employee told her to call the airline to change her ticket for the upcoming weekend and then she could change it back after she gets a passport. So the employee let her in after she did that. Of course this is a bit odd because you have to take an oath swearing your documents are valid so 🤷‍♂️

Personal note:

Kind of unfair that a woman with a 1-month old had to go through this when she had no other option. Meanwhile, families with 7 children (you can make an appointment for up to 7 people in one slot if you are in the same household) who irresponsibly did not renew their passports in time are hogging up the appointment slots and the queue time 😒

Edited by NYBEtt
Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

Naturalization Timeline:

On 6/11/2021 at 6:13 AM, NYBEtt said:

I am here to report on my recent success being able to grab an appointment at my local US Dept of State Passport Agency, using the Online Passport System. This is for same-day (or next day perhaps) passport service and there is a $60 expedite fee on top of regular passport fees.

You may schedule an appointment if you are traveling within 2 weeks or need a foreign visa within 4 weeks; however, the appointment cannot occur more than 3 business days before your date of travel, or 10 days if you require a visa.

You do not need to have a life-or-death emergency to make an appointment but you must be traveling within 3 business days of your appointment date.

Now here is the important information I was able to figure out by waking up at godly hours throughout the night:

Appointments open up at exactly 5:00AM (EST), 13 days in advance. And they will go quickly. By 5:02, most passport agencies only had a couple of appointments left. Los Angeles had already been booked up completely. A list of agencies can be found here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

Example:

Say you are traveling on July 17, then you can make an appointment at a passport agency for either July 14, July 15, or July 16. In order to make an appointment for July 14 you should be ready to hit refresh on the passport appointment website on July 1 at 5:00AM EST  (i.e. 13 days before July 14). If you don't find anything for July 14, you can try again on July 2 (for July 15) and July 3 (for July 16). Another tip, if you are flexible with times: choose a time slot at half past the hour and later in the day (e.g. 11:30AM or 2:30PM) because earlier appointments on the hour go away quicker and you will get an error after you've selected a slot that is already booked.

Some passport agencies (from what I've noticed: Buffalo, Detroit, and Vermont) might have appointments available until a little later but most every agency will be fully booked by 7AM (if not sooner). If you are lucky, you may even find an appointment at any random time of the day (in which case grab it quickly if it's 3 business days before your travel date!), but your best shot is to make an appointment when slots open up at 5AM EST.

I hope this can help the folks who are in the same boat as us, i.e. who had international travel planned just days after their naturalization ceremonies. I will report back after the visit.

Soo many thanks NYBEtt, you just saved our holidays with this information!

Timeline
On 6/26/2021 at 11:27 PM, Golodhros said:

Soo many thanks NYBEtt, you just saved our holidays with this information!

glad to hear! report back with your success getting an appointment and same-day passport. good luck!

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

Naturalization Timeline:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 6/11/2021 at 8:13 AM, NYBEtt said:

Example:

This is what I've been looking for the whole day. I've visited that website and even called the number listed 8774872778.... Surprisingly, it started telling me about Medicare. Would you believe it? I triple checked the number like 5 times. Anyway, I hanged up on that one. 

I am flying out 27th. So, I guess I'll hit the ungodly hours on the 14th of July and hopefully, I get an appointment. 

I'll duly report if I manage to get an appointment next week.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Timona said:

This is what I've been looking for the whole day. I've visited that website and even called the number listed 8774872778.... Surprisingly, it started telling me about Medicare. Would you believe it? I triple checked the number like 5 times. Anyway, I hanged up on that one. 

I am flying out 27th. So, I guess I'll hit the ungodly hours on the 14th of July and hopefully, I get an appointment. 

I'll duly report if I manage to get an appointment next week.

Oh wow Medicare? That seems a stretch even for USCIS!

If your flight is on the 27th, you can make an appointment for the 22nd, 23rd, or 26th since these are all 3 business days before your flight. If I were you I would set my alarm for this Friday 7/9 at 4:55AM so you are ready to make an appointment for Thursday the 22nd, or get up on Saturday 7/10 to schedule an appointment for Friday the 23rd. Technically you can make an appointment for the 27th if your flight leaves late at night, but that would be cutting it too close for me! Good luck and do keep us posted.

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

Naturalization Timeline:

Timeline
4 hours ago, NYBEtt said:

Oh wow Medicare? That seems a stretch even for USCIS!

If your flight is on the 27th, you can make an appointment for the 22nd, 23rd, or 26th since these are all 3 business days before your flight. If I were you I would set my alarm for this Friday 7/9 at 4:55AM so you are ready to make an appointment for Thursday the 22nd, or get up on Saturday 7/10 to schedule an appointment for Friday the 23rd. Technically you can make an appointment for the 27th if your flight leaves late at night, but that would be cutting it too close for me! Good luck and do keep us posted.

The 877 is the number listed on travel.gov. When I heard Medicare, i checked the number like 5 times and invited my colleague over to lend another set of eyes.

Yap. Like you advised, I played with the system early this morning and saw some hopes. I was just doing a test run though I did it at 7am CST and not 5am EST as you advised because I know that I'm still beyond the 2 weeks. I just wanted to test your advise. Surpringly, on my test run this morning, there was 1 slot left for 20th July. So, there's hope. 

Yap. I will be up this Friday at 3:45am CST/ 4:45am EST to put up camp. 

Wait? Appointments windows are also open on weekends?

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Timona said:

Appointment slots open up 13 days in advance, and that includes Friday appointments which become available starting the 13th day (ie Saturday) before the appointment. At least that was my experience last month!

Edited by NYBEtt
Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

Naturalization Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
On 7/7/2021 at 6:38 AM, Timona said:

The 877 is the number listed on travel.gov. When I heard Medicare, i checked the number like 5 times and invited my colleague over to lend another set of eyes.

Yap. Like you advised, I played with the system early this morning and saw some hopes. I was just doing a test run though I did it at 7am CST and not 5am EST as you advised because I know that I'm still beyond the 2 weeks. I just wanted to test your advise. Surpringly, on my test run this morning, there was 1 slot left for 20th July. So, there's hope. 

Yap. I will be up this Friday at 3:45am CST/ 4:45am EST to put up camp. 

Timona, did you get an appointment?  I might have to use this approach in the future, so I am just preparing myself to know how the process works.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Coco&Kitten said:

Timona, did you get an appointment?  I might have to use this approach in the future, so I am just preparing myself to know how the process works.

Yes. I got an appointment. 

Hello guys, 

So it better to go through this approach instead of filling the normal way? July 21st is my interview date.. Travelling Aug 31st

Daca Journey 2013

*Daca&Ead Approval- 9/17/2013

*Ead card in hand-9/20/2013 

Daca/Ead Renewal Journey 2015

*Daca sent 5/7/2015

*NOA email/letter/text message- 5/14/2015

*Biometrics appointment- 6/12/2015

*Daca renewal approval notice- 7/22/2015

*Daca Renewal approval letter received- 7/31/2015

*Ead renewal card in hand - 8/14/2015?

Aos Journey 2016

* Married- 03/25/2016

* Aos package mailed- 5/26/2016?

* Package Delivered- 6/14/2016?

* Text message received with case #/ check cashed - 6/20/2016

* Aos notice of action letter received- 6/24/2016

*Biometrics appointment- 7/13/2016

*Case ready to be scheduled for an interview- 8/1/2016

*Ead/Ap approval notice Date-8/29/2016

*Ead/Ap combo card in hand- 09/3/2016

* Aos Interview - 4/12/2017 

* Aos Approved on the spot

* 2 year Green card in Hand 4/17/2017

Roc 2019

Roc Package Mailed  - 01/15/2019

Case received -  01/22/2019

Biometrics - 03/01/2019

case approved  10 year GC - 01/07/2020

card mailed - 01/08/2020

Online filling N400 Naturalization (NJ filer)

N400 submitted - 08/27/2020

NOA - 08/28/2020

Biometrics Reuse- 2/12/2021🤗

Interview Notice : 06/15/2021🤗🤗

Interview DATE : 07/21/2021 @ 2:30PM

Citizenship and Oat ceremony approved 07/21/2021

Passport Application Appoitment usps -07/28/2021

Check cashed - 08/2/2021

Passport received : 08/11/2021 * contacted My congresswoman 

Timeline
12 hours ago, price411 said:

Hello guys, 

So it better to go through this approach instead of filling the normal way? July 21st is my interview date.. Travelling Aug 31st

Does your local office do same-day oath ceremonies? If not, you might not even be a citizen before your travel date. Either way, your only chance is trying to get an appointment for expedited service at a US passport agency. However, both the NYT and the WSJ have recently posted articles about how expedited service appointments are becoming more and more difficult to come by with some people even hoarding appointments and trying to sell them on reddit (!) so you will need to be flexible since getting an appointment even at 5AM might be becoming more difficult.

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

Naturalization Timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.