InRainbows14

EAD Renewal Validity - Is this right?

8 posts in this topic

Hi, my first EAD (based on pending I-485) expires in June of this year.

I applied to renew my EAD and received my second EAD card today. However, my new card is valid from today, not the date my first card expires (June of this year). Is this correct? I’m sure I read somewhere that the new EAD would be valid from when my current one expires. This essentially means my new EAD is only valid for 10 months....

1 minute ago, Misscloud said:

Have u check the card ? Did u see the expiry date ? It should be still 1 year ( from the date of the new EAD

Yes, the new card is valid for 1 year (until April 2022). But my old card doesn’t expire until June 2021, so I assumed my new card would be valid June 2021 - June 2022.

Old card: June 2020 - June 2021

Renewal card: April 2021 - April 2022.

45 minutes ago, InRainbows14 said:

I applied to renew my EAD and received my second EAD card today. However, my new card is valid from today, not the date my first card expires (June of this year). Is this correct? I’m sure I read somewhere that the new EAD would be valid from when my current one expires. This essentially means my new EAD is only valid for 10 months....

This is correct, it is valid for the next 12 months (until April 2022). 

ETA: had there been delays in processing your renewal, and the card was issued in June, then it would be valid until June 2022.  Just how they do it. 

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

When I renewed my wifes EAD card ( I did it early because I thought it would take a while I renewed at 6 months early almost exactly)It only took them a month to process it because it was done electronically then, and Like you said when we received it it wasn't valid until the current EAD/AP card expired. The start date was the date the Current EAD/AP expired, and it was good for a year. So basically the new EAD we received didn't even become valid for another 4.5 months. Maybe it depends how close it is to your current expiration date.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, InRainbows14 said:

I've seen both.

On 4/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, InRainbows14 said:

If you don't mind me asking, when did you send the paperwork to renew/how long did it take them to process the renewal? My EAD also expires in June, and I just recently sent my renewal application because my lawyer is basically an idiot. I'm afraid that I won't get a new EAD card before my current one expires, so I might lose my right to work/current job...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.