Trutta

What is the status between K1 and waiting for AOS?

14 posts in this topic

Hi. In the US with my was-fiance now-wife, after entering with K1. We're filing for AOS now.

It is taking people many months to get AOS after filing. But K1 visa only lasts 3 months. So, here is my question:

What status is my wife in after her K1 expires but she is still waiting for AOS?

What is the legal basis for remaining in the US with an expired visa while not yet being a permanent resident?

I tried google and searching this forum. I couldn't find the answer.

Thank you much for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

There is no real status other than while awaiting AOS, the immigrant is in a period of forgivable overstay, or authorized overstay.  With the AOS filed and the NOA received from that filing, there should be no issues until the AOS is adjudicated.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Trutta said:

Hi. In the US with my was-fiance now-wife, after entering with K1. We're filing for AOS now.

It is taking people many months to get AOS after filing. But K1 visa only lasts 3 months. So, here is my question:

What status is my wife in after her K1 expires but she is still waiting for AOS?

What is the legal basis for remaining in the US with an expired visa while not yet being a permanent resident?

After 90 days they are out of status. The pending AOS grants them a period of authorized stay until a decision is made. So the difference is that this period doesn't count as unlawful presence for future applications.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Trutta said:

Once her I-94 expired after 90 days, she is out of status.  However, once she files a proper I-485 for adjustment of status, she will be granted "authorized stay" until the I-485 is either approved or denied.  "Authorized stay" is not an official immigration status, but it halts unlawful presence.  This site explains it well, imo:  

https://www.murthy.com/2018/12/17/differences-between-lawful-status-period-of-authorized-stay-unlawful-presence-2/

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Trutta said:

So if she were to be questioned by law enforcement officer or DHS agent, she would say "I'm authorized overstay"? 

That is exactly correct....and she can show her I-707 after filing a proper I-485.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Trutta said:

Thanks! So if she were to be questioned by law enforcement officer or DHS agent, she would say "I'm authorized overstay"? Sounds weird.

Here's another question: How does she apply for a SS# when they require original documents and all SS offices have been entirely closed for 13 months?

To answer your second question, it is true there are no walk-ins but you should be able to schedule an appt with a local SS office and bring her passport, I-94 and filled out SS-5 (application for SSN) and get the SS card in the mail, hopefully only 2 weeks later but could be 2 months, like in our case. Not sure how close she is to her I-94 expiration, so you want to do this asap in order for DHS to approve her legal status. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Asterix78 said:

To answer your second question, it is true there are no walk-ins but you should be able to schedule an appt with a local SS office and bring her passport, I-94 and filled out SS-5 (application for SSN) and get the SS card in the mail, hopefully only 2 weeks later but could be 2 months, like in our case. Not sure how close she is to her I-94 expiration, so you want to do this asap in order for DHS to approve her legal status. 

I would only add that this is valid if there are more than 2 weeks left on the I94 from the K1 entry.  If the I94 has expired then the OP has to wait until they get either their EAD or GC.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 hours ago, Trutta said:

Thanks! So if she were to be questioned by law enforcement officer or DHS agent, she would say "I'm authorized overstay"? Sounds weird.

Here's another question: How does she apply for a SS# when they require original documents and all SS offices have been entirely closed for 13 months?

She answers, "I entered on a K1 fiancee visa, married my US citizen petitioner, and have filed to adjust status.  I am allowed to legally be in the US while my adjustment of status is being processed."

13 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

She answers, "I entered on a K1 fiancee visa, married my US citizen petitioner, and have filed to adjust status.  I am allowed to legally be in the US while my adjustment of status is being processed."

I agree, this is close to what I would say if I was in the OP's wife's place, and what I have trained my USC husband to say too :) Only difference is I entered on a different visa.

Otherwise, "authorized stay" is also a good answer. Short and sweet. I'd avoid saying "overstay" as a lot of people don't get the nuances right away.

Edited by Adventine

17 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Thank you. Will this prevent her from being put in the cages with all the children they have locked up? Or will they cage her first, then go look up the law at their own pace?

Just now, Trutta said:

Thank you. Will this prevent her from being put in the cages with all the children they have locked up? Or will they cage her first, then go look up the law at their own pace?

Is there a specific reason (source, news item, etc) that has led you to believe that this will happen to your wife, who entered the US legally and for whom you have filed all the paperwork for legal residency?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Trutta said:

Going overboard there.  She will not be put in a cage.  LOTS of K-1s who have filed to adjust status without any problems. 

1 hour ago, Adventine said:

Is there a specific reason (source, news item, etc) that has led you to believe that this will happen to your wife, who entered the US legally and for whom you have filed all the paperwork for legal residency?

Just my basic interactions and observations of the way law enforcement treats brown and foreign born people. Better safe than sorry!

1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

Going overboard there.  She will not be put in a cage.  LOTS of K-1s who have filed to adjust status without any problems. 

Okay, thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.