Jump to content
Unicorn91

Arrived in the US on CR-1. Now what?

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

So we finally got our visa in the beginning of March 2021 and I entered USA in the beginning of April 2021. I was taken to a separate room for my passport to be stamped and to be given instructions. The officer asked me about my marriage date and after checking, he stamped my passport and asked me to apply for something before my second anniversary. His words were "make sure to apply for ..... before your second anniversary. Your green card will come in the mail in 2-6 months." The problem is, I don't remember what form was he talking about and our lawyer says we don't have to apply for anything until the expiration of my conditional green card, which is 2 years later. I was wondering if anyone can guide me on what am I supposed to do now that I am here? I have already received my social security number in the mail. 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Unicorn91 said:

Hi, 

So we finally got our visa in the beginning of March 2021 and I entered USA in the beginning of April 2021. I was taken to a separate room for my passport to be stamped and to be given instructions. The officer asked me about my marriage date and after checking, he stamped my passport and asked me to apply for something before my second anniversary. His words were "make sure to apply for ..... before your second anniversary. Your green card will come in the mail in 2-6 months." The problem is, I don't remember what form was he talking about and our lawyer says we don't have to apply for anything until the expiration of my conditional green card, which is 2 years later. I was wondering if anyone can guide me on what am I supposed to do now that I am here? I have already received my social security number in the mail. 

Thank you!

I believe the CBP officer was referring to the I751 which is called Removal of Conditions.  Since you will be issued a 2 year Conditional Green Card it means you have been married less then two years, so you have to file the I751 90 days before your 2 year GC expires.

 

Good Luck!


Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Posted (edited)

The officer and your lawyer are talking about the same thing . . . they are just wording it differently. 

The officer is talking about making sure you apply for Removal of Conditions (ROC) when your conditional green card expires in 2 years.  The expiration date would be the second anniversary of you getting your conditional green card.  You will file Form I-751.

For now, you are all set.  Since you have your SSN and your endorsed immigrant visa serves as a temporary 1 year green card (I-551), you can work, etc.  Your plastic conditional green card (I-551) will come in a few months.

Google Removal of Conditions.  You will want to collect evidence of a co-mingled life with your spouse to support your ROC.  

Edited by aaron2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

On the day you entered the USA, how many years were you married?

Few months short of 2 years. 

1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

The officer and your lawyer are talking about the same thing . . . they are just wording it differently. 

The officer is talking about making sure you apply for Removal of Conditions (ROC) when your conditional green card expires in 2 years.  The expiration date would be the second anniversary of you getting your conditional green card.  You will file Form I-751.

For now, you are all set.  Since you have your SSN and your endorsed immigrant visa serves as a temporary 1 year green card (I-551), you can work, etc.  Your plastic conditional green card (I-551) will come in a few months.

Google Removal of Conditions.  You will want to collect evidence of a co-mingled life with your spouse to support your ROC.  

I see. Okay, thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Unicorn91 said:

Few months short of 2 years. 

Ok. Too bad you could not have waited.

 

So 90 days before the 2 year anniversary of the day you entered the USA, you should file your I-751.

 

90 days. Not 3 months. It makes a difference.

 

If you fail to file before the 2 year anniversary of your entry into the USA, you technically lose your lawful permanent resident  (LPR) status. Your green will have an expiration date that is 2 years from your date of entry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Surprised that the lawyer didn't tell them to wait to enter after their 2nd anniversary so they could have gotten a 10 years green card and avoid the cost and effort in the ROC.  Guess, maybe, the lawyer wants to be paid again for help with the ROC.  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Removing Conditions on Residency Discussion.


Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 4/21/2021 at 5:01 PM, aaron2020 said:

Surprised that the lawyer didn't tell them to wait to enter after their 2nd anniversary so they could have gotten a 10 years green card and avoid the cost and effort in the ROC.  Guess, maybe, the lawyer wants to be paid again for help with the ROC.  lol

Yeah, it is too bad, then of course the lawyer would lose out on the ROC step.


Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would advise you to set a reminder so that you don't forget to file your i751 90 days before the 2-year anniversary of your green card. Some people get reminders in the mail from USCIS, but a lot of people don't. Also don't forget to start collecting everything you can think of from now till then. It will make your work a lot easier when it comes time to file! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...