Akipog

Apostilled marriage certificate for OCI

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My husband came to USA on a K1 visa and we were married in California, USA. I want to apply for my OCI since we have been married for 2 years and it says "apostilled marriage certificate" required. Does that mean I get it apostilled here in California for India? I was also reading about the Apostille Convention and am a little confused, does it mean it's required to apostille it but it's still valid in all the other countries part of the convention? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I had to get my marriage certificate apostille also. It's a 2 step process. You have to first get it done in California, then they mail it back to you. Then you have to get it done by the us government in Washington DC. You have to mail it in, and they will do their own thing and mail it back to you. Then you can use it to register your marriage in a foreign country. I did 2 copies fully apostle. Cost twice as much, but I'm glad I did, because they had to keep a full copy in Thailand when I registered the marriage there, and I still have a extra one. I did it with a Nevada marriage certificate, but it's the same process I'm 90% sure. You have to get it apostle by the State, then the US government. I went one extra step before I traveled all the way back to Thailand, and sent them to get verified at the local Thai consulate here in the US. Los Angeles actually, and it made everything even easier when I got to Thailand to register the marriage. It's not too expensive, just time consuming mailing everything here and there. I think I spent more money on postage than getting things apostille.

And once you get it fully done, yes, it will be valid in all the countries listed as part of the convention.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.