JustineC85

Declaration Letter Error

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello!

My fiance and I are part of the September filers and since we are entering that time frame of hearing back I decided to go over our application. I just noticed that the Declaration Letter I submitted was my draft and I had place holders for [insert date here] on it. I was wondering if this could damage my case? 

Does anyone know if I can do anything or should I just wait for the dreaded RFE?

Our Timeline:

i29F Sent: 9/17/20

NOA 1: 9/21/20

RFE: 4/14/21

RFE Response Sent: 4/22/21

RFE Response Received: 4/26/21

NOA 2: 5/10/21

Interview Date: December 10, 2021

2 hours ago, JustineC85 said:

Hello!

My fiance and I are part of the September filers and since we are entering that time frame of hearing back I decided to go over our application. I just noticed that the Declaration Letter I submitted was my draft and I had place holders for [insert date here] on it. I was wondering if this could damage my case? 

Does anyone know if I can do anything or should I just wait for the dreaded RFE?

What's a declaration letter?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, taknev said:

You'd probably get an RFE for that, but that's alright, mistakes happen.  

Is the requirement a signed statement of intent or a signed and dated statement of intent?

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

We included both a intent to marry and also two declaration letters that explained more in depth the story of how we met and dates of each time we met. 

When I write I usually just write and use placeholders to add information later but I didn’t proof it first and sent the draft not the final. 

I just hope this won’t weight negatively for us. 

Our Timeline:

i29F Sent: 9/17/20

NOA 1: 9/21/20

RFE: 4/14/21

RFE Response Sent: 4/22/21

RFE Response Received: 4/26/21

NOA 2: 5/10/21

Interview Date: December 10, 2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, JustineC85 said:

We included both a intent to marry and also two declaration letters that explained more in depth the story of how we met and dates of each time we met. 

When I write I usually just write and use placeholders to add information later but I didn’t proof it first and sent the draft not the final. 

I just hope this won’t weight negatively for us. 

Declaration letters require nothing more than the declaration that you are free to marry legally and that you intend marrying XXX within 90 days of the K1 visa holder entering the US. No background to your relationship is needed in this particular document 

5 hours ago, JustineC85 said:

wo declaration letters that explained more in depth the story of how we met and dates of each time we met. 

Not required.  "Declaration letters" are not a thing.

The requirement is a signed, dated written statement of intent to marry.

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Not required.  "Declaration letters" are not a thing.

The requirement is a signed, dated written statement of intent to marry.

Dated?  Rubbish....

YMMV

2 hours ago, payxibka said:

Dated?  Rubbish....

We put a date on ours, as is normal practice for any type of formal letter.   We also *updated* our statements of intent 9 months later, for the interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Yeah USCIS instructions don’t say the statement has to be dated.  In fact it says you can provide proof of intent with a signed statement OR any other evidence that establishes your intention by a preponderance of the evidence.

I would guess that it all depends on who adjudicates your case and how much of a stickler they are.

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

We put a date on ours, as is normal practice for any type of formal letter.   We also *updated* our statements of intent 9 months later, for the interview.

What you did doesn't make it required.   No where does it indicate that it needs to be dated or even in letter format.

YMMV

3 hours ago, payxibka said:

What you did doesn't make it required.   No where does it indicate that it needs to be dated or even in letter format.

I'm curious about what it would be if not in letter format.  A sketch?  A musical composition?  

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

I'm curious about what it would be if not in letter format.  A sketch?  A musical composition?  

A statement in paragraphical form.   

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.