whiterose123

New SSN after getting a conditional Green Card ?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi everyone !

I recently got my conditional Green card, I already have my SSN card (the one that says only valide with a work authorization). My question is do I have to apply for a new SSN card or there is no need and I can continue using this one ?

Thanks for your help !

AOS from K1

January 31, 2020:  Sent AOS application packet.

February 4, 2020: NOA date.

February 10, 2020: NOAs received.

February 19, 2020: Biometrics notice received.

February 25, 2020: Biometrics Appt.

August 18, 2020: EAD Approval notice.

August 27, 2020: EAD card received.

August 28, 2020: " Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview " 

September 21, 2020: SNN card received.

January 14, 2021: " Interview was scheduled "

January 22, 2021 : Interview letter received.

February 24, 2021 : Interview day.

February 24, 2021 : " New card is being produced "

February 25, 2021 : " Case was approved "

March 2, 2021 : Approval Letter received in the mail

March 3, 2021 : " Card was picked up by the USPS "

March 3, 2021 : " Notice was returned to the USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it "

March 4, 2021 : Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2021 : " Card was delivered to me by the Post Office "

March 7, 2021 : " Duplicate Notice was mailed "

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
58 minutes ago, whiterose123 said:

Hi everyone !

I recently got my conditional Green card, I already have my SSN card (the one that says only valide with a work authorization). My question is do I have to apply for a new SSN card or there is no need and I can continue using this one ?

Thanks for your help !

Hi

You don't have to but it is recommended to update your immigration status with the Social Security Office. (not just for the card) The number will stay the same as other said but the annotation will be removed.

This is good when you will need to get a job and fill out the I-9. The conditional green card card will expire, the SSN card won't so you can fill out the I-9 with your driver's license and SSN card so you won't need to deal with the expired green card at least from your employment perspective. My card is expiring next month and I am sure HR would be on me by now (they were on me when my EAD was expiring) to show the new card which I won't be able to because it will take a while to get one, and the extension letter is a hit or miss depending how well versed the specific HR department is.

Anyway it is not super urgent but better to do it sooner than later.

Timeline
19 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Hi

You don't have to but it is recommended to update your immigration status with the Social Security Office. (not just for the card) The number will stay the same as other said but the annotation will be removed.

This is good when you will need to get a job and fill out the I-9. The conditional green card card will expire, the SSN card won't so you can fill out the I-9 with your driver's license and SSN card so you won't need to deal with the expired green card at least from your employment perspective. My card is expiring next month and I am sure HR would be on me by now (they were on me when my EAD was expiring) to show the new card which I won't be able to because it will take a while to get one, and the extension letter is a hit or miss depending how well versed the specific HR department is.

Anyway it is not super urgent but better to do it sooner than later.

Thank you for your reply, do I have to take an appointment with the SS office or can I do a walk in ?

AOS from K1

March 3, 2021 : " Notice was returned to the USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it "

Timeline
1 minute ago, whiterose123 said:

Thank you for your reply, do I have to take an appointment with the SS office or can I do a walk in ?

I think the pandemic changed a lot so I can't help with that. Look up the office you would like to go and call them or check the website. Don't forget to bring your GC with you.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

I think the pandemic changed a lot so I can't help with that. Look up the office you would like to go and call them or check the website. Don't forget to bring your GC with you.

I just called and they are closed to the public, they said I'll have to mail my GC to them and it takes around 8 weeks to get it back I don't think I can do that since we must have our GC with us at all times 😬 I will wait a bit until they open to the public

AOS from K1

Timeline
10 minutes ago, whiterose123 said:

I just called and they are closed to the public, they said I'll have to mail my GC to them and it takes around 8 weeks to get it back I don't think I can do that since we must have our GC with us at all times 😬 I will wait a bit until they open to the public

Yeah. I would not mail my GC to anybody because if they lose it, it will take forever to get another one. Better to wait in this situation.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Yeah. I would not mail my GC to anybody because if they lose it, it will take forever to get another one. Better to wait in this situation.

Exactly, I'll give it sometime !

AOS from K1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 10:03 AM, whiterose123 said:

It can be done, but as what was pointed out it's a gamble. We did it as the times called for desperate measures. We dodged the bullet and everything worked out for us. We got the documents back as soon as they looked at them. Be advised if you choose to do this make sure you send certified registered receipt. Also be advised that when SSA sends your documents back to you they simply use regular mail.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.