green_rabbit

Federal Employee Health Benefits without SSN

9 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am in the process of AOS with my husband who came on a K1 visa. The SSA failed to verify his information in time and he does not have an SSN yet, near the end of his 90 days. 

We married and I am trying to add him to my employer provided health insurance. I told them that other people had gotten around the requirement for an SSN on forms by using a "dummy" SSN, but they are insisting that because I work for a government entity and use FEHB, an SSN is in fact required. I found a page on OPM.gov saying that the FEHB is required to report coverage to the IRS and needs the SSN for that, since 2016...

Does anyone know if this is true, or have anything I can send HR stating otherwise? 

If not, should I look for a plan for him on the marketplace to satisfy the i944 and move him to my plan once we are able? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
11 minutes ago, green_rabbit said:

Hello, 

I am in the process of AOS with my husband who came on a K1 visa. The SSA failed to verify his information in time and he does not have an SSN yet, near the end of his 90 days. 

We married and I am trying to add him to my employer provided health insurance. I told them that other people had gotten around the requirement for an SSN on forms by using a "dummy" SSN, but they are insisting that because I work for a government entity and use FEHB, an SSN is in fact required. I found a page on OPM.gov saying that the FEHB is required to report coverage to the IRS and needs the SSN for that, since 2016...

Does anyone know if this is true, or have anything I can send HR stating otherwise? 

If not, should I look for a plan for him on the marketplace to satisfy the i944 and move him to my plan once we are able? 

I believe that is true. I'm a federal employee and when adding husband to my insurance I could not bypass the page requesting for his SSN. Luckily, we applied for SSN 2 weeks after he came to the states. 

1 minute ago, Mrs.Williams said:

I believe that is true. I'm a federal employee and when adding husband to my insurance I could not bypass the page requesting for his SSN. Luckily, we applied for SSN 2 weeks after he came to the states. 

Thanks. :( We also applied within 2 weeks of his arrival, they just didn't manage to sort out the mismatch. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
13 minutes ago, green_rabbit said:

Thanks. :( We also applied within 2 weeks of his arrival, they just didn't manage to sort out the mismatch. 

Have you reached out to HR and see if anything can be done. It doesn't hurt to ask. 

1 minute ago, Mrs.Williams said:

Have you reached out to HR and see if anything can be done. It doesn't hurt to ask. 

Yes, that is why I am posting here. They say they can't do it, so I am hoping someone has information I can show them saying they can.

Otherwise, it is looking complicated for healthcare.gov plans since his i-94 is only valid for a few weeks and I assume he won't get an NOA on the AOS for several months...

For posterity, I found this link suggesting SSN aren't required https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-reporting-social-security-numbers-to-your-health-insurance-company and have passed it along to HR, asking if they can ask someone higher up at the insurance company about it. 

For marketplace plans, I'm not sure how it's going to work if his i94 status ends soon and he won't have the NOA for a few months after I send that package in....

On 3/8/2021 at 12:39 PM, green_rabbit said:

Hello, 

This is odd and very incorrect. I was able to add my husband to my health insurance with no SSN. I work for the Dept. of Defense and I was told by a phone rep that when I filled out the FEHB benefits form to simply use the dummy SSN of 000-00-0001, and that the health insurance company would follow up to obtain the correct SSN in a few months (which they did). I would simply fill out the FEHB form (or online portal form) with this specification and insist that they file it for you, regardless of what they believe to be the case. Or call OPM and speak to someone directly at 888-767-6738 if you need confirmation.

It makes me so mad when people who are supposed to know the processes for things cannot perform their job functions correctly and people like you get hurt in the end. You and your spouse have a right to this insurance! Hope this helps!

21 minutes ago, snowdog said:

This is odd and very incorrect. I was able to add my husband to my health insurance with no SSN. I work for the Dept. of Defense and I was told by a phone rep that when I filled out the FEHB benefits form to simply use the dummy SSN of 000-00-0001, and that the health insurance company would follow up to obtain the correct SSN in a few months (which they did). I would simply fill out the FEHB form (or online portal form) with this specification and insist that they file it for you, regardless of what they believe to be the case. Or call OPM and speak to someone directly at 888-767-6738 if you need confirmation.

Thank you so much! I will try this next week!

That’s strange. I’m a federal employee and under my family plan I was able to add my newborn without a SSN. Just sent a message via portal and they said all good update us with the SSN when you get it. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.