TwinkleTwinkle

I-751 Divorce Waiver Experiences

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
15 hours ago, Positive_Vibes said:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! 
I will let you all know how it goes. 

Thinking of you!. How was the interview? I hope it went well. 

I apply I-751 ROC divorce waiver as well. Just sent it a week ago.  But i like to read and learn about any people's experiences. 

So I just got back from my interview. What a nightmare. The IO was nice but when she explained to me why I was being interviewed, I was so confused. She said there were a lot of discrepancies with my file. First one was our address (which doesn't make sense because we lived together in the same address for 8 years).  I had submitted both of our driver's licenses, our apartment lease which we renewed every year, Joint bank account statements,  utility bills (that spanned the whole 8 years at our address),  Tax returns,  Life Insurance, etc... all of which have the same address for 8 years.  She said they looked it up at the DMV and it shows we lived in separate address. I was shocked. I told her there had to be some sort of mistake because we had not lived anywhere else other than the address I submitted. I have no idea what she's talking about the DMV having different addresses on file. That was shocking and confusing and I told her we absolutely had no other addresses. Second she said I didn't have enough evidence of a bona fide marriage, she claimed we never took trips together, we don't have kids, we don't have a house/mortgage, loans etc... I told her we did have plans to eventually buy a house together but we just weren't financially ready yet, which is why we had been living in the same apartment for 8 years. As far as the trips, I did submit itineraries for trips that we took together, she asked if I had any of those itineraries with me. I had a big file with me but only managed to find ONE :/ . I told her I did submit all the itineraries to our trips/vacations and that it should be in my file. She claims there weren't any. Another discrepancy was our bank accounts; she asked why the statements I provided only had my ex's direct deposits on there. I told her, my job at the time did not offer direct deposits so I had to deposit my checks into that account, she claimed in did not show that. I told her the statements should show that I deposited money into our account and that we paid for bills together on those accounts. She still claimed none of the statements showed any of that. I already felt defeated from the beginning because nothing was adding up with what she was saying about our addresses and not having enough evidence of a bona marriage. We were together for 8 years, only married for almost 2 years. We were a legitimate couple. I provided evidence from the entire 8 years. Then she asked me in detail how we met, when we first met, a little about our dating life, who proposed, when was the proposal, when did we get married, did we have a big celebration, did my ex know my family, did I know my ex's family, how/when did the trouble start in our marriage, who ultimately decided to end the marriage, what was done to try and save the marriage. I answered everything in detail and I think she tried to confuse me by reiterating my answers but changing them around a bit but I always corrected her, for example I told her my ex proposed in November of 2016, she later says ok so your ex proposed in January 2017? I corrected her and said no, November 2016. There was a lot of that, where she would repeat questions and answer them with a different answer that what I gave so I had to correct her. Anyway, in the end, she said because of COVID she still has a lot of files to review and that I would likely get an answer in a minimum of 90 days.  That's how my interview went. I didn't leave feeling great but at the end of the day. I submitted all the evidence I had and I told the 100% truth and that is all I can do. As far as all the things she was saying about my file not showing/having certain things and the whole DMV discrepancy, I really don't know what to say or think about that and I can't really do anything about it because I have no idea what other address they are talking about. Anyway, I hope nobody else has to deal with these same issues that I had. Good luck to every one else on their case! All I can do now is hope for the best. 

I-751 timeline:

• 12/04/2018: Mailed I-751 with divorce waiver
  • 12/19/2018: Received by USCIS
  • 5/02/2019: Biometrics appointment
  • 5/03/2019: Case updated to show Fingerprints were taken and applied to my case 
  • 1/28/2020: Received an RFE
  • 2/05/2020: Response To Request For Evidence Was Received by USCIS
  • 8/12/2020: Case received at my local office
  • 9/16/2020: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 2/24/2021: Case scheduled for an interview
  • 4/06/2021: Interview done
  • 4/13/2022: Surprise Interview done at  my house
  • 12/08/2022: I-751 with divorce waiver APPROVED!
  • 12/21/2022: 10 yr Green Card Received.

N-400 timeline:

• 01/26/2022: Applied online and received by USCIS, Informed of Biometrics reuse
  • 06/17/2022: Interview scheduled
  • 08/04/2022: Interview done. Passed English and Civics test but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751
  • 06/08/2023: Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed
  • 06/22/2023: Oath Ceremony - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Positive_Vibes said:

So I just got back from my interview. What a nightmare. The IO was nice but when she explained to me why I was being interviewed, I was so confused. She said there were a lot of discrepancies with my file. First one was our address (which doesn't make sense because we lived together in the same address for 8 years).  I had submitted both of our driver's licenses, our apartment lease which we renewed every year, Joint bank account statements,  utility bills (that spanned the whole 8 years at our address),  Tax returns,  Life Insurance, etc... all of which have the same address for 8 years.  She said they looked it up at the DMV and it shows we lived in separate address. I was shocked. I told her there had to be some sort of mistake because we had not lived anywhere else other than the address I submitted. I have no idea what she's talking about the DMV having different addresses on file. That was shocking and confusing and I told her we absolutely had no other addresses. Second she said I didn't have enough evidence of a bona fide marriage, she claimed we never took trips together, we don't have kids, we don't have a house/mortgage, loans etc... I told her we did have plans to eventually buy a house together but we just weren't financially ready yet, which is why we had been living in the same apartment for 8 years. As far as the trips, I did submit itineraries for trips that we took together, she asked if I had any of those itineraries with me. I had a big file with me but only managed to find ONE :/ . I told her I did submit all the itineraries to our trips/vacations and that it should be in my file. She claims there weren't any. Another discrepancy was our bank accounts; she asked why the statements I provided only had my ex's direct deposits on there. I told her, my job at the time did not offer direct deposits so I had to deposit my checks into that account, she claimed in did not show that. I told her the statements should show that I deposited money into our account and that we paid for bills together on those accounts. She still claimed none of the statements showed any of that. I already felt defeated from the beginning because nothing was adding up with what she was saying about our addresses and not having enough evidence of a bona marriage. We were together for 8 years, only married for almost 2 years. We were a legitimate couple. I provided evidence from the entire 8 years. Then she asked me in detail how we met, when we first met, a little about our dating life, who proposed, when was the proposal, when did we get married, did we have a big celebration, did my ex know my family, did I know my ex's family, how/when did the trouble start in our marriage, who ultimately decided to end the marriage, what was done to try and save the marriage. I answered everything in detail and I think she tried to confuse me by reiterating my answers but changing them around a bit but I always corrected her, for example I told her my ex proposed in November of 2016, she later says ok so your ex proposed in January 2017? I corrected her and said no, November 2016. There was a lot of that, where she would repeat questions and answer them with a different answer that what I gave so I had to correct her. Anyway, in the end, she said because of COVID she still has a lot of files to review and that I would likely get an answer in a minimum of 90 days.  That's how my interview went. I didn't leave feeling great but at the end of the day. I submitted all the evidence I had and I told the 100% truth and that is all I can do. As far as all the things she was saying about my file not showing/having certain things and the whole DMV discrepancy, I really don't know what to say or think about that and I can't really do anything about it because I have no idea what other address they are talking about. Anyway, I hope nobody else has to deal with these same issues that I had. Good luck to every one else on their case! All I can do now is hope for the best. 

I am sorry you have been through this on your interview. But at least, i know you tried your best to explain anything honestly. For now, just try to think positive and wait. I pray and believe that you will get approval and get your GC. 

On 4/2/2021 at 12:17 PM, danbut said:

Having an interview based on divorce in 5 days could any one share their experience and interview process and the set of questions they might ask 

Could you post the interview experience and be as detailed as possible thanks

Sorry for late reply. Hope your interview went well.

Questions that IO asked in interview;

-What is your name, BOD, and address?

-What is your ex-spouse' name and BOD?

-How long is the marriage?

-What cause marriage fall apart? 

-When did marriage fall apart?

-How long did you and your ex-spouse lived together?

-Who else did you and your ex-spouse lived with?

-When did you and your ex-spouse moved in together?

-When did your and ex-spouse separate?

-Do you have Divorce creed with you?

-How long have you known your ex-spouse?

-What is your occupation?

-What is your ex-spouse occupation?

-How long have you been to United State?

-What is your highest education?

-What school did you go to?

Interview was good. I couldn't remember exact date for some questions. IO was very nice. Also, I hv submitted alot of supporting docs.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hi guys
Just had my interview 4/19. Initially filed jointly but switched to divorce waiver. 
Not going to lie, it was pretty tough. The officer started with confirming everything on my application, then asked about how the relationship started and developed. She asked me questions about almost every piece of evidence in my file. Questions about my ex spouse, details about his/our life, about people from the photos I had provided. It had me extremely anxious and stressed but I was fully honest about everything including our separation. I explained why we didn’t have some of the common joint assets couples usually have. 
Towards the end, she asked if I had anything else to add. It sounded to me like she wasn’t very convinced with what I had so far. I was so stressed out at that point, that I forgot I had my affidavits from friends and my ex spouse with me! So I just gave her some extra photos and was on my way out haha. 
She said “Everything looks good with your application!” but I was still convinced she hated me. When we came out, my lawyer said that this particular officer is always pretty tough but she believed it went well. I was fully prepared to wait at least a month but the very next day I got a notification that my case was approved! 

05/24/2017 Entered the US on a J1 visa

10/10/2017 We got married!

10/27/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

10/30/2017 Package delivered 

10/31/2017 Priority Date

11/07/2017 Received email and text notifications about all 4 forms

11/14/2017 Received hard copies of all 4 NOAs

11/21/2017 Received biometrics appointment notice scheduled for 11/29

12/15/2017 Interview notice - interview is scheduled for January 19th! Holy #$%^ that's less than 3 months from PD!

01/02/2018 EAD + AP approved

01/16/2018 Combo card delivered

01/19/2018 Interview - recommended for approval

01/22/2018 New card is being produced :dance:

UBtw.png

Timeline
26 minutes ago, EvieMN said:

Hi guys
Just had my interview 4/19. Initially filed jointly but switched to divorce waiver. 
Not going to lie, it was pretty tough. The officer started with confirming everything on my application, then asked about how the relationship started and developed. She asked me questions about almost every piece of evidence in my file. Questions about my ex spouse, details about his/our life, about people from the photos I had provided. It had me extremely anxious and stressed but I was fully honest about everything including our separation. I explained why we didn’t have some of the common joint assets couples usually have. 
Towards the end, she asked if I had anything else to add. It sounded to me like she wasn’t very convinced with what I had so far. I was so stressed out at that point, that I forgot I had my affidavits from friends and my ex spouse with me! So I just gave her some extra photos and was on my way out haha. 
She said “Everything looks good with your application!” but I was still convinced she hated me. When we came out, my lawyer said that this particular officer is always pretty tough but she believed it went well. I was fully prepared to wait at least a month but the very next day I got a notification that my case was approved! 

Congratulation for the approval! So happy for you. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 10:16 PM, RCCC said:

3/4/2021 - Missed interview 

3/11/2021 - Interviewed with USCIS supervisor and approved on the spot!!!!!!

Hi, can you elaborate on how come you missed your interview? And how you then got to speak to the USCIS supervisor a week later? Congrats btw :)

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 12:50 PM, TwinkleTwinkle said:

I had my interview yesterday and everything went well enough. The officer couldn’t give me an update on the spot but we had a brief conversation about the quality/quantity of evidence and he said I did a good job and he just needed to check a couple things. Of course I’m still pretty panicky and anxious to find out the final result! But I feel some relief. : (

All in all, a good experience. He was professional and understanding. Being very open and forthcoming in my answers helped. I didn’t want to use him as a therapist of course so I didn’t go into every single detail, but I was very sincere with my history and where I think I went wrong and where my ex most definitely went wrong. I tried to paint the full picture of our marriage and divorce to frame the evidence I submitted.

I did not have many picture and no joint health insurance but I included:

- joint tax filing

- joint lease agreements

- joint bank statements (and my own personal bank account)

- joint car insurance

- joint vision/life/home insurance

- text messages, social media posts, letters

- affidavits of friends and colleagues

I wouldn’t say I had a clear cut case because we were a young couple btw.

Good luck and blessings to everyone! I’m praying every day for the final approval online. 

Hi

I was reading your posts, did you get approved ?

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, danbut said:

Having an interview based on divorce in 5 days could any one share their experience and interview process and the set of questions they might ask 

Could you post the interview experience and be as detailed as possible thanks

I'm waiting for interview since February 2019 still no update or change 

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2021 at 1:16 AM, RCCC said:

Hi All,

Here is timeline for my I-751;

3/11/2019 - USCIS received I-751 Joined Application 

5/21/2019 - Biometrics Taken

12/20/2019 - Submitted divorced paper w/ additional supporting documents to USCIS

3/26/2020 - Case transferred for interview scheduling

3/6/2021 - Received denial letter for I-751

I did not hired an attorney. 

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer. 

Hi RCCC,

If I understand this correctly, you started your ROC as a joint petition and got a divorce along the way? Did you inform USCIS when the divorce started or you waited until you had the divorce decree to send it in?

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 4:18 PM, Yasuo said:

I went through divorce waiver with no issue. No RFE, no interview. Submitted my ROC package in November 2018, fingerprint in July 2019, approved in October 2019. One hiccup was I never received my extension letter. I traveled abroad in April 2019, and had to get a passport stamp.

I included all bank statements that were not submitted during my AOS application, 2 years of joint tax return, joint house deed, joint car title and insurance, joint home insurance, documents showing each other as beneficiary on investment/401k/IRA accounts and a very detailed personal letter walking through our relationship from when we started dating to the divorce, with the focus more on explaining why we divorced. I didn't include any pictures or affidavits. My package was about 4-5 inch thick.

I think I'm lucky since my process was only 11 months, but being well prepared probably helped my case a lot.  

did you submit your divorce decree?

On 3/14/2021 at 10:16 PM, RCCC said:

Hi All,

Here is timeline for my I-751;

3/11/2019 - USCIS received I-751 Joined Application 

5/21/2019 - Biometrics Taken

12/20/2019 - Submitted divorced paper w/ additional supporting documents to USCIS

3/26/2020 - Case transferred for interview scheduling

3/6/2021 - Received denial letter for I-751

I did not hired an attorney. 

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer. 

did your submit a divorce decree?

On 4/24/2021 at 4:19 PM, EvieMN said:

Hi guys

Congrats! Did you submit a divorce decree at any point in time?

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
On 4/4/2022 at 9:05 PM, Kevinbrant said:

If you are doing a I-751 with a divorce waiver. you will need your divorce decree. The divorce decree needs to be a certified copy. Make two copies. One for you to keep and one to give to the IO to put in your file. 

Just wait until your interview, and you can amend the filing on the spot. Hope this helps. 

Edited by mr-mrs-hdc

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
On 4/4/2022 at 9:05 PM, Kevinbrant said:

Yes! As the person above me said, I definitely needed it. With covid conditions, we got divorced via zoom. It was super easy and probably way less stressful than going to court. They said they’d mail it to me but since it was taking too long, I went to the court the morning of my interview and got copies of the divorce decree. I believe I had to request them by phone prior but that would vary based on where you are anyways. Good luck! 

05/24/2017 Entered the US on a J1 visa

10/10/2017 We got married!

10/27/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

10/30/2017 Package delivered 

10/31/2017 Priority Date

11/07/2017 Received email and text notifications about all 4 forms

11/14/2017 Received hard copies of all 4 NOAs

11/21/2017 Received biometrics appointment notice scheduled for 11/29

12/15/2017 Interview notice - interview is scheduled for January 19th! Holy #$%^ that's less than 3 months from PD!

01/02/2018 EAD + AP approved

01/16/2018 Combo card delivered

01/19/2018 Interview - recommended for approval

01/22/2018 New card is being produced :dance:

UBtw.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.