TwinkleTwinkle

I-751 Divorce Waiver Experiences

41 posts in this topic

I’m starting this thread to include my experience in this process, plus maybe gather some other experiences in one place and create a helpful resource for other divorce waiver applicants in the future.

My i-751 divorce waiver interview is in a few days. I’ll add my story when that is done. 

For people who have been in my shoes, what was your waiver interview like? I didn’t even have RFE before I got an interview so I’m scared. Add your timeline and any details you’re comfortable sharing (office you interviewed at, difficulties faced, etc).

I’m a July 2018 SRC waiver applicant coming from a rocky 2 year marriage. I didn’t receive RFE. My original interview was cancelled due to the COVID lockdown. I only just got a new date. 

14 minutes ago, TwinkleTwinkle said:

I’m starting this thread to include my experience in this process, plus maybe gather some other experiences in one place and create a helpful resource for other divorce waiver applicants in the future.

My i-751 divorce waiver interview is in a few days. I’ll add my story when that is done. 

For people who have been in my shoes, what was your waiver interview like? I didn’t even have RFE before I got an interview so I’m scared. Add your timeline and any details you’re comfortable sharing (office you interviewed at, difficulties faced, etc).

I’m a July 2018 SRC waiver applicant coming from a rocky 2 year marriage. I didn’t receive RFE. My original interview was cancelled due to the COVID lockdown. I only just got a new date. 

Tons of people have been approved with the divorce waiver. Interview won't be much different except they'll ask what happened with the marriage. Be honest but brief. So long as you provide evidence that the marriage was bonafide and in good faith (financial co-mingling, co-habitation etc), it doesn't really matter to them why the marriage ended. 

Hi!

I hope your interview goes great and you pass with flying colors!! Don't worry, God is with you!

I am a Nov 2018 SRC joint filer, got 2 RFE's, one for additional evidence, sent a 7 lb package to them and changed to waiver at the same time, and another RFE asking for the divorce decree, smack in the middle of COVID lockdown. My court process wasn't over due to covid delays and non-cooperation from spouse, so had to send the RFE response with the divorce petition and explaining court delays due to COVID. Later they moved from SRC to National Benefits Center, then changed status to ready to schedule interview, still waiting on that. While waiting, court process completed, and sent in my divorce decree as response to the 2nd RFE again, they receieved that response is the latest update from them. Been 28 months since filing, totally out of the processing time for SRC filers. Have contacted my congressperson, they sent in request to USCIS on my behalf, but haven't heard back as well.

Edited by ie1059

I went through divorce waiver with no issue. No RFE, no interview. Submitted my ROC package in November 2018, fingerprint in July 2019, approved in October 2019. One hiccup was I never received my extension letter. I traveled abroad in April 2019, and had to get a passport stamp.

I included all bank statements that were not submitted during my AOS application, 2 years of joint tax return, joint house deed, joint car title and insurance, joint home insurance, documents showing each other as beneficiary on investment/401k/IRA accounts and a very detailed personal letter walking through our relationship from when we started dating to the divorce, with the focus more on explaining why we divorced. I didn't include any pictures or affidavits. My package was about 4-5 inch thick.

I think I'm lucky since my process was only 11 months, but being well prepared probably helped my case a lot.  

21 hours ago, ie1059 said:

Hi!

I hope your interview goes great and you pass with flying colors!! Don't worry, God is with you!

I am a Nov 2018 SRC joint filer, got 2 RFE's, one for additional evidence, sent a 7 lb package to them and changed to waiver at the same time, and another RFE asking for the divorce decree, smack in the middle of COVID lockdown. My court process wasn't over due to covid delays and non-cooperation from spouse, so had to send the RFE response with the divorce petition and explaining court delays due to COVID. Later they moved from SRC to National Benefits Center, then changed status to ready to schedule interview, still waiting on that. While waiting, court process completed, and sent in my divorce decree as response to the 2nd RFE again, they receieved that response is the latest update from them. Been 28 months since filing, totally out of the processing time for SRC filers. Have contacted my congressperson, they sent in request to USCIS on my behalf, but haven't heard back as well.

Thank you for the kind words! They are much appreciated. I pray that you also receive your interview date soon. This waiting game is stressful. We are basically close to N-400 eligibility with how long the I-751 took which is wild. Also I contacted my congressman and they sent off a request months ago but warned me USCIS hasn’t been responding. Maybe they will now with the new admin!

Edited by TwinkleTwinkle
Extra info

19 hours ago, Yasuo said:

I went through divorce waiver with no issue. No RFE, no interview. Submitted my ROC package in November 2018, fingerprint in July 2019, approved in October 2019. One hiccup was I never received my extension letter. I traveled abroad in April 2019, and had to get a passport stamp.

I included all bank statements that were not submitted during my AOS application, 2 years of joint tax return, joint house deed, joint car title and insurance, joint home insurance, documents showing each other as beneficiary on investment/401k/IRA accounts and a very detailed personal letter walking through our relationship from when we started dating to the divorce, with the focus more on explaining why we divorced. I didn't include any pictures or affidavits. My package was about 4-5 inch thick.

I think I'm lucky since my process was only 11 months, but being well prepared probably helped my case a lot.  

I sent a fairly robust package too. I had everything you listed except we rented and had no investments together since we were a very young couple. I’m bring a few more bank statements with me to the interview and a few more odds and ends. The whole process of being selected for these can be pretty random huh!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline

Submitted ROC in July of 2020 and received extension letter in 10 days. Fingerprints were reused from my AOS and so far have not hear anything since fingerprints were applied mid August.

I was married for about 2 years. Original AOS interview went with no issues and had no RFEs.

For my ROC I submitted

- joint lease

- joint checking account statements

- joint car insurance proof

- joint health insurance proof

- transcriots from medical claims (proving we both used it)

- personal letter describing why marriage was dissolved.

- joint tax returns

- affidavits from mutual friends and frim professional relationships

my attorney did not include any pictures or some other info which I provided her with. I trust her expertise. She said I have a decent case but I also worry naturally.

I had my interview yesterday and everything went well enough. The officer couldn’t give me an update on the spot but we had a brief conversation about the quality/quantity of evidence and he said I did a good job and he just needed to check a couple things. Of course I’m still pretty panicky and anxious to find out the final result! But I feel some relief. : (

All in all, a good experience. He was professional and understanding. Being very open and forthcoming in my answers helped. I didn’t want to use him as a therapist of course so I didn’t go into every single detail, but I was very sincere with my history and where I think I went wrong and where my ex most definitely went wrong. I tried to paint the full picture of our marriage and divorce to frame the evidence I submitted.

I did not have many picture and no joint health insurance but I included:

- joint tax filing

- joint lease agreements

- joint bank statements (and my own personal bank account)

- joint car insurance

- joint vision/life/home insurance

- text messages, social media posts, letters

- affidavits of friends and colleagues

I wouldn’t say I had a clear cut case because we were a young couple btw.

Good luck and blessings to everyone! I’m praying every day for the final approval online. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Just checking in here to follow your journey and share my experience as well.

I filed jointly with my spouse November 2019. 
We separated a few months after but didn’t file for a divorce until November 2020. 
I got a RFE in October so I used that to inform them that we’re going through a divorce. Also because I didn’t have any additional evidence to provide them with. 
My case was transferred to NBC in February and I got my interview notice a week ago - it will be on April 19th! 

I started working with a lawyer after I knew that we’d be going forward with the divorce. They helped me answer the RFE and will be accompanying me to the interview. 
My only concern is that I don’t have a divorce decree just yet. I have a hearing on Tuesday so hopefully it will be finalized then. 

05/24/2017 Entered the US on a J1 visa

10/10/2017 We got married!

10/27/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

10/30/2017 Package delivered 

10/31/2017 Priority Date

11/07/2017 Received email and text notifications about all 4 forms

11/14/2017 Received hard copies of all 4 NOAs

11/21/2017 Received biometrics appointment notice scheduled for 11/29

12/15/2017 Interview notice - interview is scheduled for January 19th! Holy #$%^ that's less than 3 months from PD!

01/02/2018 EAD + AP approved

01/16/2018 Combo card delivered

01/19/2018 Interview - recommended for approval

01/22/2018 New card is being produced :dance:

UBtw.png

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

What is “ROC” package?

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

Hi All,

Here is timeline for my I-751;

3/11/2019 - USCIS received I-751 Joined Application 

5/21/2019 - Biometrics Taken

12/20/2019 - Submitted divorced paper w/ additional supporting documents to USCIS

3/26/2020 - Case transferred for interview scheduling

3/4/2021 - Missed interview 

3/6/2021 - Received denial letter for I-751

3/11/2021 - Interviewed with USCIS supervisor and approved on the spot!!!!!!

I did not hired an attorney. 

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Having an interview based on divorce in 5 days could any one share their experience and interview process and the set of questions they might ask 

On 3/15/2021 at 1:16 AM, RCCC said:

Hi All,

Here is timeline for my I-751;

3/11/2019 - USCIS received I-751 Joined Application 

5/21/2019 - Biometrics Taken

12/20/2019 - Submitted divorced paper w/ additional supporting documents to USCIS

3/26/2020 - Case transferred for interview scheduling

3/4/2021 - Missed interview 

3/6/2021 - Received denial letter for I-751

3/11/2021 - Interviewed with USCIS supervisor and approved on the spot!!!!!!

I did not hired an attorney. 

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer. 

Could you post the interview experience and be as detailed as possible thanks

Doing my I-751 Divorce Waiver Interview tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I-751 timeline:

• 12/04/2018: Mailed I-751 with divorce waiver
  • 12/19/2018: Received by USCIS
  • 5/02/2019: Biometrics appointment
  • 5/03/2019: Case updated to show Fingerprints were taken and applied to my case 
  • 1/28/2020: Received an RFE
  • 2/05/2020: Response To Request For Evidence Was Received by USCIS
  • 8/12/2020: Case received at my local office
  • 9/16/2020: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 2/24/2021: Case scheduled for an interview
  • 4/06/2021: Interview done
  • 4/13/2022: Surprise Interview done at  my house
  • 12/08/2022: I-751 with divorce waiver APPROVED!
  • 12/21/2022: 10 yr Green Card Received.

N-400 timeline:

• 01/26/2022: Applied online and received by USCIS, Informed of Biometrics reuse
  • 06/17/2022: Interview scheduled
  • 08/04/2022: Interview done. Passed English and Civics test but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751
  • 06/08/2023: Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed
  • 06/22/2023: Oath Ceremony - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Positive_Vibes said:

Doing my I-751 Divorce Waiver Interview tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I wish you luck and hope everything goes well and You'll be approved! 

39 minutes ago, eagle85 said:

I wish you luck and hope everything goes well and You'll be approved! 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! 
I will let you all know how it goes. 

I-751 timeline:

• 12/04/2018: Mailed I-751 with divorce waiver
  • 12/19/2018: Received by USCIS
  • 5/02/2019: Biometrics appointment
  • 5/03/2019: Case updated to show Fingerprints were taken and applied to my case 
  • 1/28/2020: Received an RFE
  • 2/05/2020: Response To Request For Evidence Was Received by USCIS
  • 8/12/2020: Case received at my local office
  • 9/16/2020: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 2/24/2021: Case scheduled for an interview
  • 4/06/2021: Interview done
  • 4/13/2022: Surprise Interview done at  my house
  • 12/08/2022: I-751 with divorce waiver APPROVED!
  • 12/21/2022: 10 yr Green Card Received.

N-400 timeline:

• 01/26/2022: Applied online and received by USCIS, Informed of Biometrics reuse
  • 06/17/2022: Interview scheduled
  • 08/04/2022: Interview done. Passed English and Civics test but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751
  • 06/08/2023: Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed
  • 06/22/2023: Oath Ceremony - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.