GregandNatty

Biden Could Fix the Logjam If He Wanted To

64 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, jan22 said:

There are a lot of security issues involved (that have been discussed here in VJ previously) -- things like verifying identity, fingerprinting, maintaining data security, etc -- that prevent the possibility of online interviews with the current infrastructure.  In addition, many countries do not have stable enough Internet connections to ensure a strong enough connection to have the quality of video needed for the interviewer to be able to see facial expressions, etc clearly.

Nobody is suggesting there are no issues, just that the issues need to be overcome and the government needs to stop passing the buck off to COVID. The US government is an organization that brings in trillions of dollars a year, they can figure this out, just like your local supermarket did a long time ago. 

11 hours ago, Bob44 said:

It’s stupid. They have prison visitors behind glass. Have the interview like that. It was Trumps excuse to screw up the system and it’s low on Biden’s radar. I’ve written both my senators and congressman. Not even a reply. 

Nothing to do with Trump, it’s called government, plain and simple.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Ohana2020 said:

Greg, I really hope for the best for you, hopefully you can contact your congressmen or someone who may take this up. I know of a case when this helped (before covid). 

Much appreciated!   Thank you for your thoughts and words.   It is frustrating when people on this venue who have been here for a long time and are finished with the immigration process say stuff like:  Just deal with it.   Immigration is difficult enough but add in the hell of 2020 COVID and going through this time alone and not being able to travel to see loved one -- they have no idea how hard this time has been.  It's the main reason I don't come on this forum much anymore and instead get support from a FB group of others going through immigration.

Edited by GregandNatty

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm in a boat in the same storm and agree that making congresspeople aware of our personal stories is one thing we can and should do. We don't need to debate the myriad of reasons why the immigration process canNOT go more smoothly, because we're powerless to change it ourselves and it's pointless to speculate the why's and wherefores. We can report our experiences and let our representatives investigate the issues, and maybe one day the process will be improved for others down the road. I'm not naive enough to think it will change for me right now. I was naive enough to believe my wife would be here with me in under a year when we got married a year and a half ago. During this last trip of the Earth around the sun my wife lost her mother to covid and I couldn't be there to comfort her. Six months passed before I could even attend her virtual funeral. My wife hoped to have her first baby with me, but just turned 44 a few days ago and I don't have the heart to tell her that it may be another six months to a year before we can be together and that the odds of conceiving at our age is not on our side. Each of us has heartbreaking stories to tell about our long distance relationship and the frustrations of not being together due to so many things outside of our control. We came close to separating out of the sheer stress and frustration of the new normal and the insane immigration process and the inability to comfort each other and communicate in ways that married couples should be able to. We pushed through it and dedicated ourselves to our marriage no matter how long it takes to be together. Let the powers that be know how this complex and lengthy process affects your life and how it became even more frustrating during covid times due to lack of communication around when IR1/CR1 processing will begin again in earnest in the countries where it is still halted. Change can only happen after those in charge are made aware of the many problems and how they impact citizens and non-citizens. If we don't speak up then nothing changes.
I'll add that since October I was under the impression that my DQ case was in line at the embassy in Peru just waiting for them to start processing, only to recently find out from that embassy they don't have the case and it is still sitting at the NVC. So a week ago I sent a message to the NVC asking them to explain what the next step is to transmit our case and when that would happen, since there's absolutely no communication, and I'm still awaiting a reply. If you think I plan to just sit here and patiently wait, you're dead wrong.

Edited by SeanJanetPeru

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, Montrealy said:

Nobody is suggesting there are no issues, just that the issues need to be overcome and the government needs to stop passing the buck off to COVID. The US government is an organization that brings in trillions of dollars a year, they can figure this out, just like your local supermarket did a long time ago. 

COVID has not been used as an excuse for not doing online interviews -- the discussions about that possibility, and the identification of issues that prevent it, started long before COVID.  My local supermarket, for example, does not do interviews that require a great deal of personal information that needs to be securely maintained, that require verification of identity including fingerprinting, and that has a system that will function in more than 180 countries in the world.

2 hours ago, jan22 said:

COVID has not been used as an excuse for not doing online interviews -- the discussions about that possibility, and the identification of issues that prevent it, started long before COVID.  My local supermarket, for example, does not do interviews that require a great deal of personal information that needs to be securely maintained, that require verification of identity including fingerprinting, and that has a system that will function in more than 180 countries in the world.

Your local supermarket figured out what it had to do to stay in business. That entailed doing things unthinkable just a year ago. The government has not figured out to keep immigration in business. Of course the issues it’s facing are far more serious; that’s why it has billions of dollars and all the manpower to figure it out. Staying out of business for so long is not a solution.

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, Montrealy said:

Your local supermarket figured out what it had to do to stay in business. That entailed doing things unthinkable just a year ago. The government has not figured out to keep immigration in business. Of course the issues it’s facing are far more serious; that’s why it has billions of dollars and all the manpower to figure it out. Staying out of business for so long is not a solution.

My supermarket also did not have the restrictions imposed by immigration laws, federal regulations, international issues, etc..  And, not very much of those billions of dollars go to the State Department -- none go to Consular Affairs for visa processing, which is fee totally funded.  

I'm not trying to be argumentative and, certainly, would never come close to saying we have a system that works well -- just trying to share some information that helps to show the complexity of the issues and that there is no overall simple, quick solution.  Certainly, there are not going to be significant changes put in place while trying to reduce the backlog that has built up -- changes that would require a massive, worldwide re-training and probable deployment of new systems.  The focus has to be on putting all available resources into reducing/eliminating the backlog and not on systemic change until there is some breathing room from the backlog.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Ben52580 said:

Biden already ordered the logjam to be dealt with as quickly and efficiently as possible. Let's not be fake news.

Where are you seeing he's ordered the current backlog be cleared?   If anything he's making it worse by opening the flood gates on our southern border. 

Edited by GregandNatty

14 minutes ago, GregandNatty said:

Where are you seeing he's ordered the current backlog be cleared?   If anything he's making it worse by opening the flood gates on our southern border. 

1) Google is your friend. Not going your homework for you. Not hard to look up. 

2) The southern border thing is fine. Stop with fear mongering of any immigrant. You know what. Don't bother replying to me. I get people like you. Not worth my time. If you do reply I'll just block you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ben52580 said:

2) The southern border thing is fine. Stop with fear mongering of any immigrant. You know what. Don't bother replying to me. I get people like you. Not worth my time. If you do reply I'll just block you. 

Well I googled it.

Nothing

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, Ben52580 said:

Obviously you didn't. 

Obviously I did, this would be big news and I found nothing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Ben52580 said:

If it isn't hard, then why didn't you provide a link?  I'll tell you why:  It doesn't exist. 

11 minutes ago, Ben52580 said:

What kind of people am I?  People who post actual facts?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/12/asylum-seekers-waiting-mexico-allowed-into-us-biden-trump

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.