DennisWaldron

NBI AKA

50 posts in this topic

Ir1 Philippines 

Received 221g at interview asking for new NBI with husband last name.

Even Though have never changed name, &/or used husbands last name on any legal documents.

Marriage certificate (married in USA)

Shows maiden name.

All our paperwork apply for visa shows maiden name.

When go to try to get new NBI with husbands name. They ask for id with that name.... in which dont have because never changed it.

Has anyone else seen this or heard of it?

If so...is there a solution?

And who might we contact to resolve this?

Thanks in advance, 

3 minutes ago, PIRuby said:

Wouldn't that go under alias? I use his name only socially but I think I need new NBI with it as an alias.

Thats what we thought.

But then they asked her for id with that aka alias.

3 minutes ago, DennisWaldron said:

Thats what we thought.

But then they asked her for id with that aka alias.

Is there something in our instructions that we can copy and take to them?

9 minutes ago, PIRuby said:

Is there something in our instructions that we can copy and take to them?

The applicant should request an NBI Clearance with an AKA including the applicant’s maiden name, birth certificate name, maiden name and any aliases or nicknames used, including different spellings that may appear on your other documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.) even if the applicant has never used those names or spellings in regular life.

Maybe we are wrong, but I could swear someone has been asked to redo it because of nickname 

1 minute ago, PIRuby said:

The applicant should request an NBI Clearance with an AKA including the applicant’s maiden name, birth certificate name, maiden name and any aliases or nicknames used, including different spellings that may appear on your other documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.) even if the applicant has never used those names or spellings in regular life.

Maybe we are wrong, but I could swear someone has been asked to redo it because of nickname 

Yes, I've seen where they have had mistakes in spelling,or previous marriages...ect.

In all my searches i haven't seen any where there is legitimately no alias/aka.

Its almost like we need to create one to satisfy the consolates requests. 

I wonder if a letter along with the NBI with no AKA will suffice.

Because it is not really a requirement for a woman to change her last name in the US and the Philippines so there is no AKA to use at all (provided that there was no previous corrections to name due to spelling, etc.)

If you decide to just create one just to satisfy the consulate's request, you might be forced to change some of your documents to married name as well. This could be a hassle if you do not intend to change your last name at all.

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

I am looking at my NBI from April 2019. I am not seeing a place for NO AKA but I see that there is a field to put in husband's surname. 

And then on the NBI application website, there is a field for AKA/Other Name.

On the https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL-Manila.html website, it says NBI with AKA should be requested 'even if the applicant has never used those names or spellings in regular life.'

image.png.2f2e5175ee49bf1e93f4b94e9bc45394.png

New Petition:

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

1 minute ago, MarryMe987654 said:

I am looking at my NBI from April 2019. I am not seeing a place for NO AKA but I see that there is a field to put in husband's surname. 

And then on the NBI application website, there is a field for AKA/Other Name.

On the https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL-Manila.html website, it says NBI with AKA should be requested 'even if the applicant has never used those names or spellings in regular life.'

image.png.2f2e5175ee49bf1e93f4b94e9bc45394.png

I agree,dont want to go down a road of changing name. 

Was just just saying seems like that is what they were insinuating. 

At the interview she even said she hasn't used husbands name. And at nbi she brought the 221g letter saying what they wanted.

On the online website I also seen the field for AKA/other name.

We might try to do the online nbi. And see if that works.

Maybe the live nbi worker didnt understand what she was looking for. 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, nelmagriffin said:

Hi,

Did you mean that you got married in the USA?

Yes correct. 

Married in the USA 

Marriage certificate has her maiden name. And she has not used my surname on any legal documents. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi again, 

I wonder of why she is asked to produce something that she never used in the first place. I wish you called or emailed the embassy for clarification. Best regards, NG

As doing so will require the process of changing her name in order to produce that NBI certificate. It should have been as simple as I did not change my name or used my husbands name period. I guess I never heard of such thing. Aliases that your spouse may have used, but never something that she never used.

Edited by nelmagriffin

18 minutes ago, DennisWaldron said:

I agree,dont want to go down a road of changing name. 

Was just just saying seems like that is what they were insinuating. 

At the interview she even said she hasn't used husbands name. And at nbi she brought the 221g letter saying what they wanted.

On the online website I also seen the field for AKA/other name.

We might try to do the online nbi. And see if that works.

Maybe the live nbi worker didnt understand what she was looking for. 

Thanks

Yeah, that's what I would do. Put in the husband's name in the AKA anyway because the travel.gov website says to have it even if the name is not used.

I wonder if they assume that she will eventually use the husband's name because instead of saying, "I don't plan on changing my maiden name", she just said, she hasn't used it? That may make a difference on why they all of a sudden required an NBI with AKA.

New Petition:

Name change in the Philippines is not easy especially nowadays. The process of acquiring IDs with the new name is hard because they require other IDs to support it. I have a friend married 3 years ago that still can't acquire married name IDs because of the same issue.

Hope you guys get through this!

New Petition:

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, DennisWaldron said:

Ir1 Philippines 

Received 221g at interview asking for new NBI with husband last name.

Even Though have never changed name, &/or used husbands last name on any legal documents.

Marriage certificate (married in USA)

Shows maiden name.

All our paperwork apply for visa shows maiden name.

When go to try to get new NBI with husbands name. They ask for id with that name.... in which dont have because never changed it.

Has anyone else seen this or heard of it?

If so...is there a solution?

And who might we contact to resolve this?

Thanks in advance, 

You never completed a Report Of Marriage with the Philippines consulate after you got married?

Did you bring a CENOMAR or CEMAR  to the interview?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.