weezerlso

Oath Ceremony Complete Received Citizenship but nothing for my child

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

On February 11,2021 I had my oath ceremony in Des Moines and received my certificate of citizenship.  My wife is American and sponsored my green card and my daughter's green card 4 years ago.  This entire time, my daughter has been on every application I have completed including the N400 citizenship application.

I was the only person invited to citizenship interview and oath ceremony which is normal because my child is a minor (16 years old).  Thus I was surprised when they did not give me my daughter's certificate of citizenship yesterday.

I asked the counselor at the ceremony and he said I would nee to file a N600 for her to receive her citizenship.  When I got home and realized the N600 is $1170 I almost passed out!   Is this the only way my daughter can get her certificate of citizenship??????  I do understand she can get her U.S. passport but I have read horror stories of people losing their passports and not being able to get any documentation from USCIS that they are citizens since they received it through their parents.  Since my child will turn 18 in 1.5 years  I really want to complete this process for her so it doesnt cause issues in the future.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by weezerlso

No need for a certificate, you and your daughter can schedule an appointment for passports now. 

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes Nancy

We are aware that she can get her passport now, but the only way that she will be in the USCIS system as a U.S. citizen and to also receive her certificate of citizienship is by completing the N600 from what I understand.

I have read of children who received u.s. citizenship through their parents losing their passport and then USCIS not having anything in the system to prove they are citizens if the N600 is not completed.  This is what I want to verify.

27 minutes ago, weezerlso said:

Yes Nancy

We are aware that she can get her passport now, but the only way that she will be in the USCIS system as a U.S. citizen and to also receive her certificate of citizienship is by completing the N600 from what I understand.

I have read of children who received u.s. citizenship through their parents losing their passport and then USCIS not having anything in the system to prove they are citizens if the N600 is not completed.  This is what I want to verify.

P You can apply for either a passport, or an n600, or both. You don’t have to have an n600, but many people prefer it for the reasons you cite. But nothing is done automatically. You have to apply and pay.

42 minutes ago, weezerlso said:

Yes Nancy

Unfortunately, n600 isn’t issued derivatively. It will cost you arm and leg. You can do passport now and apply for n600 later when she grows up.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Reading others' responses, is my assumption correct that a minor child automatically naturalizes alongside the parent (with custody), but doesn't get a naturalization certificate, but can also prove citizenship without it? I'm assuming you can apply for a passport for her with her proof of citizenship being your naturalization certificate and any documents that show the parental relationship (and possibly proving custody?). Basically your daughter is already a U.S. citizen and she does not need the N-600 to prove it, and once she has her U.S. passport she can use that moving forward as proof of citizenship.

55 minutes ago, jxn said:

Reading others' responses, is my assumption correct that a minor child automatically naturalizes alongside the parent (with custody), but doesn't get a naturalization certificate, but can also prove citizenship without it? I'm assuming you can apply for a passport for her with her proof of citizenship being your naturalization certificate and any documents that show the parental relationship (and possibly proving custody?). Basically your daughter is already a U.S. citizen and she does not need the N-600 to prove it, and once she has her U.S. passport she can use that moving forward as proof of citizenship.

to your first question, the assumption is correct IF INA320 conditions are met.

Just to be clear, the minor child automatically acquires citizenship when the parent naturalizes assuming all the relevant factors under INA320 are met. The proof of these 4 factors has to be shown when applying for either a passport or N600. Uscis cannot automatically issue anything to minor children because it doesn’t know if the 4 factors have all been met. And we have seen a number of instances on VJ when people think they have enough proof of legal custody in particular but then find out they don’t, I also seem to recall someone who thought they could do it by bringing a child in on a B visa, that doesn’t work either.

There are some instances when the naturalization of the parent is not the last step in the process. As long as all four factors under INA320 are met at the same time at some stage, the child becomes a citizen.

Edited by SusieQQQ

50 minutes ago, jxn said:

I'm assuming you can apply for a passport for her with her proof of citizenship being your naturalization certificate and any documents that show the parental relationship (and possibly proving custody?).

Yes: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/adopt_ref/adoption-FAQs/child-citizenship-act-of-2000.html

If your child has not obtained a certificate of citizenship, you will need to present the following when applying for your child's U.S. passport:

• Proof of the child’s relationship to the U.S. citizen parent. For the biological child of a U.S. citizen, this generally will be a certified copy of the foreign birth certificate (and a translation if the birth certificate is not in English). For an adopted child, you must submit a certified copy of the final adoption decree (and a translation if the decree is not in English);
  • Proof the child is admitted as a lawful permanent resident, such as the child’s foreign passport with a I-551 stamp, or the child's permanent resident card (green card);
  • Proof of identity and citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s);
  • Evidence the child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent;
  • Completed Form DS-11 and supporting documents.
54 minutes ago, jxn said:

and she does not need the N-600 to prove it,

Correct. Even USCIS says that Certificate of Citizenship is optional: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/all-forms/n-600-application-for-certificate-of-citizenship-frequently-asked-questions "You are not required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship. The Certificate of Citizenship is an optional form. A validly issued U.S. passport generally serves as evidence of your U.S. citizenship during its period of validity unless that passport has been revoked by the Department of State."

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, jxn said:

An LPR child does not naturalize.  Naturalization is the process that a person goes through to obtain US citizenship.  An LPR child derives US citizenship under the CCA.  An important distinction.  

The child can obtain a US passport with the parent's naturalization certificate.  The US passport is proof of US citizenship.

The Certificate of Citizenship is optional.  It's useful when someone losses or has an expired US passport.  

I have a Certificate of Citizenship.  I have never needed it except to obtain my first US passport.  Always have been on top of keeping my US passport current.  

Edited by aaron2020

I wouldn't spend this kind of money on N600 if it's not absolutely necessary. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.