Annabanana316

Error on my n400 interview. What to do?

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys. 

i just realized i made an error on my n400 application. My father’s birth year is 1964 and I put it as 1965. :( 

he is the petitioner for my greencard so i am worried that this will affect my application. 

what do i do?

thank you in advance. 

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I'm sure others would chime in but here is my take.

If their system flags it during review they may ask you for evidence in which case you will send the proof (perhaps a copy of dad's passport or birth certificate). If they don't you go to the interview and mention it that you made a typo and provide the proof in the interview and IO will update it. 

I don't think you can edit an already submitted n400 application until interview. Mistakes happen and in this case it doesn't look like something that will disqualify you so don't worry. 

Good luck. 

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Also, if I were you, I'd call USCIS and ask what they recommend you do  just for peace of mind to see what they suggest. May be it's different when you are claiming citizenship via parents.  You can also wait for few others folks answer here as they may have been in a similar situation. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Annabanana316 said:

Hi guys. 

i just realized i made an error on my n400 application. My father’s birth year is 1964 and I put it as 1965. :( 

he is the petitioner for my greencard so i am worried that this will affect my application. 

what do i do?

thank you in advance. 

Just edit it at the interview

40 minutes ago, JrGoldMiner said:

I'm sure others would chime in but here is my take.

If their system flags it during review they may ask you for evidence in which case you will send the proof (perhaps a copy of dad's passport or birth certificate). If they don't you go to the interview and mention it that you made a typo and provide the proof in the interview and IO will update it. 

I don't think you can edit an already submitted n400 application until interview. Mistakes happen and in this case it doesn't look like something that will disqualify you so don't worry. 

Good luck. 

Thank you :)

1 minute ago, retheem said:

Just edit it at the interview

2 hours ago, Annabanana316 said:

Hi guys. 

what do i do?

thank you in advance. 

Shouldn't be a problem. Worse comes to worse they will send you an RFE or something. But regardless, at the interview they go through your file with you in case there are any changes or mistakes. You should mention it when they interview you. And such a tiny mistake would not cause any delays after the interview. No need to hide it. The officer actually has all your information and all applications (i.e green card) information right infront of his screen from ever since you stepped foot in the US. At my interview there was something I mentioned when I got my GC but for lack of space decided not to add it to my N400 application. When we were going through my N400 he asked me about something and I stopped at what I knew I had written on the N400 application and he mentioned "and what about this?". And I just explained it to him and said that the cells were not long enough, he laughed and just said it's okay I could have just gone over. Just make the change there. Not significant enough to worry. Although come on, it is your father's Bday!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Liberia
Timeline

I’d reach out to them about the typo. I made a mistake just like that on my i130 for my husbands visa and I called and was told to write to them with the correction. I honestly think it sped up my case because we were approved right after that. It drew their attention to my app, so I recommend reaching out. 😃

5 hours ago, ThaOne said:

Shouldn't be a problem. Worse comes to worse they will send you an RFE or something. But regardless, at the interview they go through your file with you in case there are any changes or mistakes. You should mention it when they interview you. And such a tiny mistake would not cause any delays after the interview. No need to hide it. The officer actually has all your information and all applications (i.e green card) information right infront of his screen from ever since you stepped foot in the US. At my interview there was something I mentioned when I got my GC but for lack of space decided not to add it to my N400 application. When we were going through my N400 he asked me about something and I stopped at what I knew I had written on the N400 application and he mentioned "and what about this?". And I just explained it to him and said that the cells were not long enough, he laughed and just said it's okay I could have just gone over. Just make the change there. Not significant enough to worry. Although come on, it is your father's Bday!!!

Thanks so much!!!

30 minutes ago, RCCJ said:

I’d reach out to them about the typo. I made a mistake just like that on my i130 for my husbands visa and I called and was told to write to them with the correction. I honestly think it sped up my case because we were approved right after that. It drew their attention to my app, so I recommend reaching out. 😃

Wow! Thanks. Did it take forever to get hold of someone?

Not that big of a deal  Just tell them at your interview. My wife did her interview today for citizenship. She told me the interview was good She said the interviewer was very nice and could tell my wife was nervous. My wife told her she forgot to ncluded a nickname but it was only use when she was little. the interviewer smile and said that is ok.I am sure that will be the same for you  

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Like others said, no need to try to chase somebody down on the phone, they can't change the answer on your form anyway. You just bring it up at the interview and ask to have it corrected. No biggie.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
19 minutes ago, doufucou said:

I filled my N-400 online, I have no memory of whaere it should be a birth year of my parents.

There's a question that asks if either (or both) of your parents is a US citizen. If you answer "no" to that question the rest of the questions never show up, the online form automatically removes them as they don't apply to you. They only apply if one of both of your parents are US citizens. 

If you check the paper form you will also see that it says "If neither of your parents is a US citizen, skip to part 7", ie you don't respond to those questions on the paper form either.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, Scandi said:

There's a question that asks if either (or both) of your parents is a US citizen. If you answer "no" to that question the rest of the questions never show up, the online form automatically removes them as they don't apply to you. They only apply if one of both of your parents are US citizens. 

If you check the paper form you will also see that it says "If neither of your parents is a US citizen, skip to part 7", ie you don't respond to those questions on the paper form either.

Now I understand.

On 1/29/2021 at 10:46 PM, BBlueB said:

Not the major critical factor.

You can correct it at the interview with the supporting documentation.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:56 AM, Scandi said:

Like others said, no need to try to chase somebody down on the phone, they can't change the answer on your form anyway. You just bring it up at the interview and ask to have it corrected. No biggie.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:42 AM, j&ana said:

Not that big of a deal  Just tell them at your interview. My wife did her interview today for citizenship. She told me the interview was good She said the interviewer was very nice and could tell my wife was nervous. My wife told her she forgot to ncluded a nickname but it was only use when she was little. the interviewer smile and said that is ok.I am sure that will be the same for you  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.