Brazil/US2018

No Corona Virus Stimulus Checks for Green Card Holder???

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone!

My husband (gc holder) did not receive any of the corona virus stimulus checks that were previously passed out. We did file our 2019 taxes as married and my question is, did I miss a sign up or something with the IRS? Or is this something that we will get when we file our 2020 taxes?

A little lost here! Please be kind...I am new with all this stuff! :) Just asking for a little guidance! 

Thanks a bunch!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

He can claim everything when you file taxes for 2020 so nothing is lost 😊

Depending on when you did the taxes for 2019 it might have been too late for the first one and they went with your 2018 taxes.

18 minutes ago, Brazil/US2018 said:

Hey everyone!

My husband (gc holder) did not receive any of the corona virus stimulus checks that were previously passed out. We did file our 2019 taxes as married and my question is, did I miss a sign up or something with the IRS? Or is this something that we will get when we file our 2020 taxes?

A little lost here! Please be kind...I am new with all this stuff! :) Just asking for a little guidance! 

Thanks a bunch!

Did you guys ( joint ) made over $150,000 / year for 2019 W2  ? If yes, u won’t get any stimulus. If you don’t made over 150K, did U do direct deposit when you filed for 2019 ? 

Timeline
11 hours ago, Misscloud said:

Did you guys ( joint ) made over $150,000 / year for 2019 W2  ? If yes, u won’t get any stimulus. If you don’t made over 150K, did U do direct deposit when you filed for 2019 ? 

We do not make over 150 jointly and yes, i did direct deposite.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Brazil/US2018 said:

We do not make over 150 jointly and yes, i did direct deposite.

We need a little bit more context to figure out why he didn't receive it.

I'm assuming you are the USC. Does your husband have a SSN? When did he get it? Did he get one as soon as he arrived on the K1 Visa or after EAD? Your timeline says his EAD was approved in 2020.

When did you file for 2019 taxes? Was it paper filed or electronically? Did you use his SSN in the 1040? Did you file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately? Have your taxes been processed (did you receive a refund)?.

How much did you receive from both rebates? 

Edited by Ayrton

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

We need a little bit more context to figure out why he didn't receive it.

I'm assuming you are the USC. Does your husband have a SSN? When did he get it? Did he get one as soon as he arrived on the K1 Visa or after EAD? Your timeline says his EAD was approved in 2020.

When did you file for 2019 taxes? Was it paper filed or electronically? Did you use his SSN in the 1040? Did you file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately? Have your taxes been processed (did you receive a refund)?.

How much did you receive from both rebates? 

I am the USC. He got his ssn as soon as he possibly could when he arrived here. I filed my taxes about a month before the lock down happened, and i filed it personally...I have a guy that does my taxes. Yes, I did use his ssn in the 1040, and yes I did receive my refund as well as the relief money. I cannot remember if I filed jointly or separately at this point. I will have to look. But i would imagine that doesn matter right? 

Ah so confused!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Brazil/US2018 said:

I am the USC. He got his ssn as soon as he possibly could when he arrived here. I filed my taxes about a month before the lock down happened, and i filed it personally...I have a guy that does my taxes. Yes, I did use his ssn in the 1040, and yes I did receive my refund as well as the relief money. I cannot remember if I filed jointly or separately at this point. I will have to look. But i would imagine that doesn matter right? 

Ah so confused!!

It does matter.

If you filed separately, it means your husband never filed a return in the US, therefore, there's no way for the IRS to pay for his rebate.

If you had filed jointly, you would receive his rebate in your bank account too, since you didn't receive, 100% you filed separately.

For 2020, make sure to file jointly, or if separately, that he also files his own 1040, so he can claim the money, otherwise he's never going to receive the money.

Edited by Ayrton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.