Tacos

Backlog in Bogota Embassy

510 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
4 hours ago, DanNJ02 said:

Congrats! Did you fill out the DS-160 when your case first arrived at the embassy, and will you have to fill it out again?

I did previously fill it out last March, unclear if I'll need to re-do it. I haven't heard of anyone having to re-do the DS160.

Timeline
On 3/5/2021 at 4:53 PM, HBundle said:

I saw in the Facebook group that someone whose case arrived at the Embassy in Jan 2020 had their interview and it took about 5 minutes supposedly.  They said they originally did not have an appointment and had not received the P3 packet prior to the pandemic.

We are in a similar boat.  The Embassy received our application in March 2020 but we never received a P3 packet or actually had an approved interview time.  I have not yet received anything from the Embassy but am hoping that this happens any day now.  I imagine Bri and Alejandro would be soon after our case, assuming they actually do everything chronologically.

Just have to keep being patient...I think the end is in sight.

Keep us posted :) I’m trying to stay patient too. I find myself checking CEAC multiple times a day...I’ve got to learn to chill lol. For now, I guess my fiancé and I will begin working on the DS-160. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 3/6/2021 at 4:49 PM, HBundle said:

I don't want to read too far into it but I checked CEAC today and my case was "touched" yesterday 3/5.  Could be in response to an email I sent a week ago or maybe they are getting ready to email me. My case had not been "touched" since October 2020. Fingers crossed.

Hi there! How can you tell that the case has been "touched". I got my DQ from NVC in May 2020 and am awaiting an interview in Rio... all I see in CEAC is that it is "at NVC".

Thank you!

Timeline
7 hours ago, Hilde said:

Hi there! How can you tell that the case has been "touched". I got my DQ from NVC in May 2020 and am awaiting an interview in Rio... all I see in CEAC is that it is "at NVC".

Thank you!

I am just referring to the Last Updated Date on CEAC.  My understanding is that this is the last time someone looked at the file.  It may only mean that they were responding to my email about my case, or it could mean they were actually reviewing it in preparation for our interview (or any other variety of reasons).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 2/16/2021 at 10:14 AM, Bri&Alejandro said:

Oh, yikes. I had read back in August that it opened up, but you are certain it is closed again? My fiancé felt really confident that he could pass through and said it has been operating but he must have been misinformed. 

Thanks for the tip on Mexico. Sounds like we will need to look into that. 

My wife’s parents traveled from Punto fijo, Vzla to Ocaña, Colombia December 26th 2020 by ground and had no problem only because they traveled with her grandfather that was 90 years old. 
He died a month later january 17th, 2021 and alot of family from Vzla traveled by ground and passed the border at cucuta. 
So the border is open. The only danger you will face is getting stopped by vzla military and every roadblock and they will take everything from you. It is so much better to fly.

See if you can fly to Dominican republic or panama first to get to colombia

Timeline
1 hour ago, Tacos said:

Any idea when the DS-160 should be completed, now or when we receive the instructions from the embassy? I don’t think things will change between now and then. 

I filled it out at the beginning of the pandemic and am concerned I may be asked to redo it.  My advice is to print off the example/paper copy and fill it out without actually submitting it so that you are ready to do it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi guys! 

Sending positive vibes. 

I am still fairly new to this whole process.  I applied in October 2020 and we are waiting for our NOA2.  I've been here with my fiance since Nov 2020 but have to return next week :(

For those with fiances in Venezuela, how do you go about getting the police certificate from there?  My fiance has been in Colombia since May 2019 so he needs one from Colombia and Venezuela.

Timeline
4 hours ago, KyleAaron said:

Hi guys! 

Sending positive vibes. 

I am still fairly new to this whole process.  I applied in October 2020 and we are waiting for our NOA2.  I've been here with my fiance since Nov 2020 but have to return next week :(

For those with fiances in Venezuela, how do you go about getting the police certificate from there?  My fiance has been in Colombia since May 2019 so he needs one from Colombia and Venezuela.

Welcome! 

My fiancé is in Venezuela and was able to get his Venezuelan police certificates online. I am unsure if this would also be used by citizens outside the country. 

There is a Venezuela Embassy in Bogota. I would suggest that your fiancé contact them and they should be able to assist with the police certificates :) 

Timeline
16 hours ago, Mike and Nicole said:

My wife’s parents traveled from Punto fijo, Vzla to Ocaña, Colombia December 26th 2020 by ground and had no problem only because they traveled with her grandfather that was 90 years old. 
He died a month later january 17th, 2021 and alot of family from Vzla traveled by ground and passed the border at cucuta. 
So the border is open. The only danger you will face is getting stopped by vzla military and every roadblock and they will take everything from you. It is so much better to fly.

See if you can fly to Dominican republic or panama first to get to colombia

Thank you! The prices for flights are a bit outrageous when flying to Domincan Republic or Panama and then on to Bogota, but I think we will have to do it to avoid any problems. We have spent so much time and money on this process, we will do whatever we need to do to make sure he gets to Colombia safely 

Timeline
10 hours ago, Tacos said:

Any idea when the DS-160 should be completed, now or when we receive the instructions from the embassy? I don’t think things will change between now and then. 

It depends on the embassy, some require you wait for the interview packet. As far as I know, Colombia does not require this. So you can do it at any point after approval, but you will want to do it fairly close to the interview date so the information is the most accurate. Assuming your petition starts moving in the upcoming months, I feel like it is safe to go ahead and do it. We just don’t know the actual timeline of everything which makes it tricky.

The good news is that you can redo the DS-160. All you lose is the time spent doing it again. 

Timeline

WE HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!

I have no idea how this is possible. My case shows at NVC but 5 minutes later I checked my email and the embassy emailed to inform me that our interview is April 8th. 

I had reached out to my congresswoman and I know she contacted the NVC about my case, I am really wondering now if she made this thing move for me. 

Anyways, we now have A TON to do in the next couple of weeks and have to figure out how to get both of us to Colombia. Just wanted to give you all a little update on that, I hope this means that the end is in sight for everyone!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Bri&Alejandro said:

WE HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!

I have no idea how this is possible. My case shows at NVC but 5 minutes later I checked my email and the embassy emailed to inform me that our interview is April 8th. 

I had reached out to my congresswoman and I know she contacted the NVC about my case, I am really wondering now if she made this thing move for me. 

Anyways, we now have A TON to do in the next couple of weeks and have to figure out how to get both of us to Colombia. Just wanted to give you all a little update on that, I hope this means that the end is in sight for everyone!!

Congratulations!!! I'm happy for you guys!

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Bri&Alejandro said:

WE HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!

Congrats and good luck! You're the first case I've heard of here or in whatsapp groups that has had their case leave the NVC.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Bri&Alejandro said:

WE HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!

Congrats!  that's great news!

I've got to admit I'm a bit jealous. This seems to indicate that they aren't exactly going first come, first served since our case was sent to the Embassy prior to the pandemic.  Nevertheless, very happy for y'all.  Let me know if you have any questions about how to prepare the documents for the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.