wally29

CRBA, Emergency Passport bogota us embassy

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hello All,

I am starting a job in the USA on January 11th. Currently, I’m in Colombia. I’d like to do my child's CRBA appointment and renew my expired passport before then (it expired because we weren’t able to travel and the embassy shut down because of COVID).

Question 1: what are the steps for me to be the one present during the CRBA interview in lieu of my wife and child? (Paperwork, etc) We’re trying to avoid them traveling if possible because of the virus and I have to go to bogota for my passport anyways.

Question 2: How long does it take to renew a passport completely? And is this possible for me considering I need to be in the states on the 11th of January 2021?

Question 3:  How long does it take to get an emergency passport from the Bogota embassy so that I can travel back to the states on time? I’m trying to choose the best option for me in order to make it to my job on time.

I've emailed and called the embassy but keep getting very vague answers that don't help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Walt

Answers from the US embassy website --

23 minutes ago, wally29 said:

Question 1: what are the steps for me to be the one present during the CRBA interview in lieu of my wife and child?

Seems like your child must be present although your wife may be absent.  From https://co.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/ --

"Both parents and the child should be present for the CRBA appointment In order to help establish the biological relationship.  If one or both parents cannot attend the interview, the absent parent(s) must complete form 3053 (PDF 51KB) (Statement of Consent).  Note: parent can also submit their own written notarized consent, in English."

24 minutes ago, wally29 said:

Question 2: How long does it take to renew a passport completely?

3 weeks from appointment date, according to https://co.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

26 minutes ago, wally29 said:

Question 3:  How long does it take to get an emergency passport from the Bogota embassy so that I can travel back to the states on time?

No timeline specified, but it does say that the emergency travel must be within 10 days of application and that the issuance of the emergency passport is at the consul officer's discretion.  See passports link above for the details.

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Seems like your child must be present although your wife may be absent.  From https://co.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/ --

"Both parents and the child should be present for the CRBA appointment In order to help establish the biological relationship.  If one or both parents cannot attend the interview, the absent parent(s) must complete form 3053 (PDF 51KB) (Statement of Consent).  Note: parent can also submit their own written notarized consent, in English."

The wife would have to go to a US consular post anyways so might as well go in all together. Per 8 FAM 703.7, Form DS-3053 must be properly notarized either in a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad or by a notary public in the United States. The embassy does not accept consent forms notarized by a Colombian notary. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks for all of your help. My wife and I have an interview in Bogota soon for the CRBA where we'll both be in attendance with our child.

In the "Proof of Physical Presence in the US" of the section of the CRBA checklist it lists: 

transcripts, w-2s, social security earnings report, complete migration report, etc. Does one have to have all of these things or can you pick which ones to have to complete the 5 year requirement?

Thanks, Walt.

Edited by wally29
addition

6 minutes ago, wally29 said:

Does one have to have all of these things or can you pick which ones to have to complete the 5 year requirement?

Bring as many pieces of evidence as you can.  Aside from the examples given, US school records would be good too.  Browse the CRBA forum for other suggestions -- https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/154-consular-reports-of-birth-abroad-crba/

Timeline
On 12/27/2020 at 4:09 PM, Chancy said:

Bring as many pieces of evidence as you can.  Aside from the examples given, US school records would be good too.  Browse the CRBA forum for other suggestions -- https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/154-consular-reports-of-birth-abroad-crba/

Thanks!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.