Purcari1984

K-1 Visa Interview - Police Records from China

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Hello All,

I am petitioning for my fiancé, Maria, to apply for a United States K-1 visa for fiancés.   The NVC received our approval application in late Nocember and has forwarded the application to the U.S. Embassy in Moldova where my fiance resides.  Our welcome e-mail included information on how to pay and prepare for her interview but one requested record of note requested is a police report from every country where she resided for longer than 6 months:

f)   DETAILED POLICE CERTIFICATE: Each applicant aged 16 years or over is required to submit a DETAILED police certificate from the police authorities of each locality of the country of the applicant's nationality or current residence where the applicant has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. If the Police Certificate shows records, please, provide an English translation.

* Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least 6 months. For information on obtaining police certificates from countries of previous residence please see: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html.

Maria did work in Beijing for 3 years as an international flight attendant.  We have tried to follow links on the state department website or reach out to another agencies to get this information but it seems almost impossible.  Some people are saying that need more required information from us (which we cannot provide) and others are saying because she was never actually in China for a full 6 months at a time (due to work travel) that she would not need one.  Others have stated that because she was last in China more than one year ago that this document is not even available.

I don't find any of the explainations statisfactory and wonder if anyone where has had a similar situation and has some suggested on a process/agency we would use.  Time is obviously critical as our window expires in February.  Obviously flying to China directly to try and obtain a copy is not possible at the moment.

Best,

Andrew

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Purcari1984 said:

Hello All,

I am petitioning for my fiancé, Maria, to apply for a United States K-1 visa for fiancés.   The NVC received our approval application in late Nocember and has forwarded the application to the U.S. Embassy in Moldova where my fiance resides.  Our welcome e-mail included information on how to pay and prepare for her interview but one requested record of note requested is a police report from every country where she resided for longer than 6 months:

f)   DETAILED POLICE CERTIFICATE: Each applicant aged 16 years or over is required to submit a DETAILED police certificate from the police authorities of each locality of the country of the applicant's nationality or current residence where the applicant has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. If the Police Certificate shows records, please, provide an English translation.

* Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least 6 months. For information on obtaining police certificates from countries of previous residence please see: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html.

Maria did work in Beijing for 3 years as an international flight attendant.  We have tried to follow links on the state department website or reach out to another agencies to get this information but it seems almost impossible.  Some people are saying that need more required information from us (which we cannot provide) and others are saying because she was never actually in China for a full 6 months at a time (due to work travel) that she would not need one.  Others have stated that because she was last in China more than one year ago that this document is not even available.

I don't find any of the explainations statisfactory and wonder if anyone where has had a similar situation and has some suggested on a process/agency we would use.  Time is obviously critical as our window expires in February.  Obviously flying to China directly to try and obtain a copy is not possible at the moment.

Best,

Andrew

Was her place of residence in China 6 months or greater? This doesn’t mean she didn’t leave the country for 6 months. Have you tried reaching out to the nearest embassy/consulate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your first task is to reach out to Chinese resources to see if they will even issue a police certificate.  If they will, then you need to apply for it.  See what the websites for the Chinese government say.

If they won't, then you need to photocopy their answer (that they won't or cannot issue one), and attach it to the explanation you have given above - that she was based in Beijing as an international flight attendant, and the circumstances of her living/resident situation.

It is not always possible to get a police certificate when you are no longer living in a country - but sometimes the "rule book" that the officers use is not clear, or an officer just doesn't take the time to look up the particulars for each country, and they mark the police certificate as "missing".

You will need to do the research, though - and make sure it's not just friends telling you stuff - you'll need to get info that is published and documentable.

In our own case, the "rule book" had not been updated with the way certificates were handled in Australia, and the onus was on us to prove that we could not get a certificate from a particular "state" in Australia - as the certificates were now issued on a national basis.  We photocopied the web pages from the Australian government that explained this - and sailed through (But I tell you what - I was really ticked off.  It delayed us by over a month.)

Best of luck to you!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

15 hours ago, Purcari1984 said:

wonder if anyone where has had a similar situation

K1 case from last year where visa processing was put on hold because of missing police certificate from China --

15 hours ago, Purcari1984 said:

has some suggested on a process/agency we would use

Found this from VJ search.  Note that Chinese agents charge per police certificate PER CITY.  Hopefully your fiancee only needs one from Beijing.

Timeline

Thank you all so much for your detailed responses and suggestions.  We found an agency in China who is trying to assist us, but the local office in China is requesting a written request from the embassy since my Fiance is not there is person to get these documents.  We have contacted the embassy to see if they will produce something.  If not, I think we will contact the Chodorow law firm referenced in one of the threads linked.  They seem expensive but multiple users referenced them and they seem to provide exactly the service we need. 

https://lawandborder.com/china-police-certificates/

On 12/10/2020 at 1:37 PM, Purcari1984 said:

Thank you all so much for your detailed responses and suggestions.  We found an agency in China who is trying to assist us, but the local office in China is requesting a written request from the embassy since my Fiance is not there is person to get these documents.  We have contacted the embassy to see if they will produce something.  If not, I think we will contact the Chodorow law firm referenced in one of the threads linked.  They seem expensive but multiple users referenced them and they seem to provide exactly the service we need. 

https://lawandborder.com/china-police-certificates/

Contact the embassy and ask for the consulate letter requesting the PC if not, then email to secure the same.

***Request for the consulate to issue a letter officially requesting the Chinese Police Force (or what name they use for the attainment of a PC) to release a COC or certificate of Clearance. Make sure you outline for the embassy what the letter should contain. 

The US embassy can send this to you by Mail or by email. This is what worked for others but no necessary for China. The link to the other post has some good information and it sounds like you are on top of this. But,  

Please if you will, return here and outline your steps in securing the PC from China. Updated information and experiences help others that will find themselves in the same situation you find yourself in now. As the say "pay it forward". Good luck and stay engaged in the process. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
On 12/12/2020 at 3:08 AM, Greenbaum said:

Contact the embassy and ask for the consulate letter requesting the PC if not, then email to secure the same.

***Request for the consulate to issue a letter officially requesting the Chinese Police Force (or what name they use for the attainment of a PC) to release a COC or certificate of Clearance. Make sure you outline for the embassy what the letter should contain. 

The US embassy can send this to you by Mail or by email. This is what worked for others but no necessary for China. The link to the other post has some good information and it sounds like you are on top of this. But,  

Please if you will, return here and outline your steps in securing the PC from China. Updated information and experiences help others that will find themselves in the same situation you find yourself in now. As the say "pay it forward". Good luck and stay engaged in the process. 

Absolutely.  We actually took this step last week and got an e-mailed reply from the U.S. embassy stating "they are unable to issue an official request or provide such services".  My fiance is still working with a company to see if they can securire these documents:  

https://www.beijingesc.com/apply-ncr-stay-in-beijing.html

One of her colleagues in China worked with them before successfully.  The problem is that they don't seem to be providing much documentation;  all of their correspondence has been through WeChat including payments.  If they are not successful in getting the PC/COC then we wouldn't have much legitimate documentation of our attempts.  I want to contact the law Chodorow law firm today despite being more expense as I will at least have more documentation over each step of the process if they are unsuccessful.  Additionally we need to get our interview scheduled on the books;  our petition expires Feb 13 and so we are trying to see if mid January is a reasonable time frame.  Would you suggest going the attorney route at this point?

Thank you

4 hours ago, Purcari1984 said:

Absolutely.  We actually took this step last week and got an e-mailed reply from the U.S. embassy stating, "they are unable to issue an official request or provide such services".  My fiancé is still working with a company to see if they can secure these documents:  

One of her colleagues in China worked with them before successfully.  The problem is that they don't seem to be providing much documentation; all of their correspondence has been through WeChat including payments.  If they are not successful in getting the PC/COC then we wouldn't have much legitimate documentation of our attempts.  I want to contact the law Chodorow law firm today despite being more expense as I will at least have more documentation over each step of the process if they are unsuccessful.  Additionally, we need to get our interview scheduled on the books; our petition expires Feb 13 and so we are trying to see if mid-January is a reasonable time frame.  Would you suggest going the attorney route at this point?

Thank you

First you can relax as your NOA2 does not expire soon. A NOA2 is good for one year and the embassy has the jurisdiction over the approval to extend the NOA2 in increments of 4 months at a time. Most during coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic are extending it with only a letter stating you are both free and still desire to process your K-1 visa and marry within the 90 days once you reach your POE. 

Second, you work with one source at a time in getting the PCC. Keep track of your WeChat conversations with the China Connection and or any other correspondence. 

It's not unusual that a beneficiary cannot secure a PCC, especially through times like this. Most times it is not a deal breaker with a CO. They probably have seen many before you struggle and not be able to submit a PCC at the interview. If you can't get a PCC before the interview, I would still attempt the interview and see what the CO has to say. If he/she issues you an 221(g) Request for Evidence (RFE) then you can use the lawyer, but I wouldn't spend the money on the lawyer till you are in a bind. This will not get you denied so be relived of that.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 12/14/2020 at 12:17 PM, Greenbaum said:

First you can relax as your NOA2 does not expire soon. A NOA2 is good for one year and the embassy has the jurisdiction over the approval to extend the NOA2 in increments of 4 months at a time. Most during coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic are extending it with only a letter stating you are both free and still desire to process your K-1 visa and marry within the 90 days once you reach your POE. 

Second, you work with one source at a time in getting the PCC. Keep track of your WeChat conversations with the China Connection and or any other correspondence. 

It's not unusual that a beneficiary cannot secure a PCC, especially through times like this. Most times it is not a deal breaker with a CO. They probably have seen many before you struggle and not be able to submit a PCC at the interview. If you can't get a PCC before the interview, I would still attempt the interview and see what the CO has to say. If he/she issues you an 221(g) Request for Evidence (RFE) then you can use the lawyer, but I wouldn't spend the money on the lawyer till you are in a bind. This will not get you denied so be relived of that.

Greenbaum......thank you again for your reply and reassurance.  Apologies for the delayed reply;  we've had some other issues related to my fiance's application in addition to the PCC issue.  

So since i last checked in we ave worked with the agency I referenced before and they are in the process of securing her PCC.  

They have update us that it is taking a few more days than usual since my fiance is actually registered at a different location than the one we had anticipated;  all of this was done by her old employer years ago.

We are hoping to have a copy of this information the 1st week of January.  We have also scheduled her interview at the Embassy on January 14th;  all of the other interview reqirements are completed.  In the event we do not get the PCC on time, we are documentating all communications on WeChat with the PCC agency, copies of e-mails from the embassy denying our request for a letter of request, corresponence with the law firm I reached out to etc.

I will follow-up after my fiance attends her interview.  Happy New Year to you.  

2 minutes ago, Purcari1984 said:

Greenbaum......thank you again for your reply and reassurance.  Apologies for the delayed replying; we've had some other issues related to my fiancé's application in addition to the PCC issue.  

So, since i last checked in we ave worked with the agency I referenced before and they are in the process of securing her PCC.  

They have update us that it is taking a few more days than usual since my fiancé is actually registered at a different location than the one we had anticipated; all of this was done by her old employer years ago.

We are hoping to have a copy of this information the 1st week of January.  We have also scheduled her interview at the Embassy on January 14th; all of the other interview requirements are completed.  In the event we do not get the PCC on time, we are documenting all communications on WeChat with the PCC agency, copies of e-mails from the embassy denying our request for a letter of request, correspondence with the law firm I reached out to etc.

I will follow-up after my fiancé attends her interview.  Happy New Year to you.  

It warms the heart knowing that you are making some headway on the PCC. I concur with your steps as outlined above. I don't see a problem at the interview if your PCC is late. Your embassy should provide you with a 221(g) Request for Evidence (RFE) until such time that your PCC arrives and is submitted to the embassy. Stay the course. :thumbs:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My fiancé and I were in this same situation of needing a PCC from China and he was no longer there. We got with an agency in China, they requested a few documents and about two months and $600 later we got the police report mailed to me in the states. We are now just waiting to schedule an interview. I hope all goes well in obtaining yours! 

Timeline
21 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

It warms the heart knowing that you are making some headway on the PCC. I concur with your steps as outlined above. I don't see a problem at the interview if your PCC is late. Your embassy should provide you with a 221(g) Request for Evidence (RFE) until such time that your PCC arrives and is submitted to the embassy. Stay the course. :thumbs:

Quick update this morning.  The individual assisting us at beijingesc.com e-mailed my finance this morning attaching digital copies (with company watermarks) of the stamped PCC in Chinese with a notarized translation in English and is requesting payment for shipping before sending us the original copies.  I just sent the payment and they confirmed l these will be mailed out on Monday morning.  Was very happy overall with the service of this agency despite being hesitant with just the WeChat and WU payment options.  

4 hours ago, Purcari1984 said:

Quick update this morning.  The individual assisting us at beijingesc.com e-mailed my finance this morning attaching digital copies (with company watermarks) of the stamped PCC in Chinese with a notarized translation in English and is requesting payment for shipping before sending us the original copies.  I just sent the payment and they confirmed l these will be mailed out on Monday morning.  Was very happy overall with the service of this agency despite being hesitant with just the WeChat and WU payment options.  

So far so good. Let us know if you receive the stated documents and you feel they meet your expectations and are excepted from the embassy. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
On 12/31/2020 at 11:19 AM, Greenbaum said:

So far so good. Let us know if you receive the stated documents and you feel they meet your expectations and are excepted from the embassy. 

Update.......my fiance received all the documents from the agency this morning;  2 original PCC records in chineses and 2 notarized translations into English.  Wasn't expecting these to arrive until next week so this was a pleasent surprise.  

Again, the agency I used was:  https://www.beijingesc.com/apply-ncr-stay-in-beijing.html

Certainly exceeded our expectations in this matter.  

5 hours ago, Purcari1984 said:

Update.......my fiance received all the documents from the agency this morning;  2 original PCC records in chineses and 2 notarized translations into English.  Wasn't expecting these to arrive until next week so this was a pleasent surprise.  

Again, the agency I used was:  https://www.beijingesc.com/apply-ncr-stay-in-beijing.html

Certainly exceeded our expectations in this matter.  

Thanks for returning and updating us to the outcome for you on getting your PCC. I am book marking this for others who will have a comparable situation as yours. I wish you the best for the rest of your journey. Gods speed.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.