portorusa

CR1/IR1 -> AOS > I-485 interview

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, portorusa said:

My husband had his I-485 interview yesterday and was approved on the spot!😃

Background: We abandoned CR1 consular processing - at the last stage, i.e. post-interview abroad. My husband was visiting me on VWP when corona arrived and we decided to switch to AOS and filed in April.

The I-485  interview lasted about 30 min. and went smoothly. The officer (a woman) was very knowledgeable, experienced and extremely nice.

Apart from regular questions (on when and how we met, the first visit time and duration, husband's biographical info, previous marriages/divorces, children, the date of last entry to the US, and security questions on terrorism/prostitution) there were questions related to I-944 form. Initially with our AOS package we included only proof of medical insurance and proof of absence of credit score. The officer asked  about husband's educational background, work history, military service abroad, knowledge of English and our assets/debts as a couple. "Are you working now? Where?" but she did not ask how much he earns in the US nor did she ask for any proof of his work here. She asked if he had a SSN number (yes) and put it in the computer. She asked if he applied for any public benefits (he did not) and was satisfied with the answer. She never asked for my husband's credit score/credit report.

There was a full understanding that we were adjusting his status from VWP due to pandemic, and that we switched from consular processing. The officer said she did not need I-864, taxes for 2019, children's birth certificates or proof of medical insurance in the US because all that info was available in the digital file. She asked to show her what we brought to prove a bona fide relationship (of which we had plenty). She accepted those bearing our two names (bank account statements, credit cards, auto insurance, utility bills and a motorhome title). She was not interested in our photos together, proof of communication, or proof of many trips to see each other (hotel receipts, border passes, etc). 

At the end she said she was approving his I-485, congratulated and explained that as the marriage was more than 2 years old, no removal of conditions was necessary and that 3 years later my husband could apply for US citizenship. She told to expect a green card in the mail within 1-3 weeks.

We did not expect such an outcome and were in shock and bewilderment. In fact, we had been mentally prepared to a postponed approval due to our case circumstances because our file - including some original documents - is still in Paris...We thought the USCIS would have to ask the Embassy in Paris to transfer the case back through NVC and that it would take weeks if not months. Turned out everything was already here in the digital form and was considered by the interviewing officer.

Only back at the parking lot I realized I forgot to ask for I-151 stamp for my husband's passport.

What was most confusing: The officer never asked for I-693 results (still with us and in sealed envelope)! That means all the time and $$ spent on obtaining it here were in vain. Oh well...Maybe she accepted the medical exam results done by my husband in Paris a year ago?:blink:

Congratulations on a smooth and painless approval! Thank you so much for describing your interview process in detail. I know each person’s experience is different, but it’s very encouraging to know that you had a no-nonsense officer who did not give you a hard time. :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
3 hours ago, portorusa said:

Background: We abandoned CR1 consular processing - at the last stage, i.e. post-interview abroad. My husband was visiting me on VWP when corona arrived and we decided to switch to AOS and filed in April.

The I-485  interview lasted about 30 min. and went smoothly. The officer (a woman) was very knowledgeable, experienced and extremely nice.

Apart from regular questions (on when and how we met, the first visit time and duration, husband's biographical info, previous marriages/divorces, children, the date of last entry to the US, and security questions on terrorism/prostitution) there were questions related to I-944 form. Initially with our AOS package we included only proof of medical insurance and proof of absence of credit score. The officer asked  about husband's educational background, work history, military service abroad, knowledge of English and our assets/debts as a couple. "Are you working now? Where?" but she did not ask how much he earns in the US nor did she ask for any proof of his work here. She asked if he had a SSN number (yes) and put it in the computer. She asked if he applied for any public benefits (he did not) and was satisfied with the answer. She never asked for my husband's credit score/credit report.

There was a full understanding that we were adjusting his status from VWP due to pandemic, and that we switched from consular processing. The officer said she did not need I-864, taxes for 2019, children's birth certificates or proof of medical insurance in the US because all that info was available in the digital file. She asked to show her what we brought to prove a bona fide relationship (of which we had plenty). She accepted those bearing our two names (bank account statements, credit cards, auto insurance, utility bills and a motorhome title). She was not interested in our photos together, proof of communication, or proof of many trips to see each other (hotel receipts, border passes, etc). 

At the end she said she was approving his I-485, congratulated and explained that as the marriage was more than 2 years old, no removal of conditions was necessary and that 3 years later my husband could apply for US citizenship. She told to expect a green card in the mail within 1-3 weeks.

We did not expect such an outcome and were in shock and bewilderment. In fact, we had been mentally prepared to a postponed approval due to our case circumstances because our file - including some original documents - is still in Paris...We thought the USCIS would have to ask the Embassy in Paris to transfer the case back through NVC and that it would take weeks if not months. Turned out everything was already here in the digital form and was considered by the interviewing officer.

Only back at the parking lot I realized I forgot to ask for I-151 stamp for my husband's passport.

What was most confusing: The officer never asked for I-693 results (still with us and in sealed envelope)! That means all the time and $$ spent on obtaining it here were in vain. Oh well...Maybe she accepted the medical exam results done by my husband in Paris a year ago?:blink:

Congratulations! I love seeing positive news on here! Thanks for giving us so many details about your experience. It’s really helpful. 

On 10/30/2020 at 12:19 PM, portorusa said:

Congratulations! Our interview is on December 3. Can you please share the checklist of the documents that you had during the interview. Thanks. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
2 hours ago, AHC said:

Congratulations! Our interview is on December 3. Can you please share the checklist of the documents that you had during the interview. Thanks. 

We took everything listed in the Interview letter. Basically, same documents that we had submitted earlier with AOS packet plus I-963 medical exam.

As to bona fide marriage just bring everything that has names of both of you on it. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Congratulations!!!

Honestly, it is nice to see that at least your officer wasn't strict about the 944. 

Edited by mbssss

AOS

08/25/2020 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using USPS                                         11/06/2020 - Received physical receipt notice for I-765 in the mail

08/28/2020 - Package was received by USCIS                                                                                                   12/15/2020 - Online account updated and indicated the I-944 RFIE was sent

09/25/2020 - Debit Card was charged by USCIS                                                                                                 12/28/2020 - Recieved the I-944 RFIE via e-mail after speaking with a tier 2 officer

09/29/2020 - Recieved text notifications from USCIS with reciept numbers                                                  1/11/2021 - Responded to the RFIE and sent the I-944 to USCIS 

10/01/2020 - Recieved rejected I-765 back                                                                                                           3/3/2021 - Biometrics scheduled for 03/29

10/05/2020 - Recieved physical reciept notices in the mail

10/06/2020 - Sent I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using UPS

10/09/2020 - Package was recieved by USCIS

10/30/2020 - Recieved text notication from USCIS with reciept number for I-765

• 2 months later...

Thank you for your wonderful post.

Did you overstay your VWP visa?

IIUC your "I485 AOS" took six months, when a VWP visa is 90 days.

My reading suggests, that's fine, but still a little scary.

Timeline

Yes, my husband’s ESTA expired and there is no way around it. Overstay is forgiven for immediate relatives of US citizen. Do not worry, you will be fine. 

• 6 months later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Peru
Timeline

Thank you so much on your detailed story. In the I-485, there is one question that they ask “have you ever applied for an immigrant visa to obtain permanent resident status at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad?” in you case since you started the process as consular processing, did you answer yes, or your answer was no since you did not complete that way? Thanks in advance

Edited by SilentSiren

Timeline

Thank  you so much on your detailed story. In the I-485, there is one question that they ask “have you ever applied for an immigrant visa to obtain permanent resident status at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad?” in you case since you started the process as consular processing, did

Timeline

I answered Yes, and then added a remark next to this question, "Abandoned CR-1". Hope this helps. Good luck!

Timeline

Thanks for your quick reply. Another question, did you notify the NVC that you are adjusting of status and they should stop the consular processing? Did you email them or call them? Or you didn’t notify them at all?, and if you notified the NVC, did you do this before submitting the I485 or after? Thanks in advance.

Edited by SilentSiren

Timeline

Yes, we did notify Paris Embassy that we decided to AOS in the United States. They replied that we could not do it as adjusting from VWP not allowed. Good thing we did not listen to the Embassy experts:))

It took us 6 months to obtain the green card here in the US, and 16 months (with numerous emails back and forth and a threat to get our US Congressperson involved) to finally receive back our original documents from Paris Embassy.

Timeline

Oh wow. You already had an interview scheduled at the embassy and everything was finalized at the NVC? Also, when you notified the embassy, you did it after submitting the I485 ?

Timeline

My husband had his interview for CR1 visa, and was placed in Administrative Processing due to a missing document. The required document was submitted the following day. However, it took the Embassy 4 months to issue the visa. By then my husband was in the States visiting me, corona arrived, the borders were closed and his return flight to France cancelled by the air company. He was stuck. So we were forced to make a decision to start the whole process from zero, this time in the United States.

In other words, my husband never returned to France to collect his visa.

And yes, we notified Paris about switching to AOS before submitting I-485. Though I don't think it really matters. If your file is currently with NVC, you notify NVC about switching to AOS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.