RM1996

K1 VISA JOINT SPONSOR - AUSTRALIA

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone from Australia has filed for the K1 visa using a co-sponsor? I am trying to find it on the U.S Consulate & Embassy in Australia although it's only stating information about a sponsor in general which would be my partner? i can't find any further info anywhere regarding the joint-sponsor. Is this even possible?

My partner is on a student visa at the moment, we are living together in Australia and we are planning on applying in <7 months and trying to gather as much info as possible now. Her mother has requested her to come back to the states to work there for her company as well as me but i understand that it will take months for me to be able to work, which is okay for both of us. If her mum was able to provide a letter of employment stating the amount my partner will earn would that suffice? She has earnt well below the tax threshold to submit any tax returns back in the states from here in Australia. Our plan is to go over to the states together. Has anyone ever done this?

If Australia offers the joint-sponsor for the K1, would it be easier for her Mother to apply than my partner?

Thanks!

Edited by RM1996

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
28 minutes ago, RM1996 said:

I was wondering if anyone from Australia has filed for the K1 visa using a co-sponsor? I am trying to find it on the U.S Consulate & Embassy in Australia although it's only stating information about a sponsor in general which would be my partner? i can't find any further info anywhere regarding the joint-sponsor. Is this even possible?

My partner is on a student visa at the moment, we are living together in Australia and we are planning on applying in <7 months and trying to gather as much info as possible now. Her mother has requested her to come back to the states to work there for her company as well as me but i understand that it will take months for me to be able to work, which is okay for both of us. If her mum was able to provide a letter of employment stating the amount my partner will earn would that suffice? She has earnt well below the tax threshold to submit any tax returns back in the states from here in Australia. Our plan is to go over to the states together. Has anyone ever done this?

If Australia offers the joint-sponsor for the K1, would it be easier for her Mother to apply than my partner?

Thanks!

No, her mother can not predict her future paycheck. They care about what your fiance is making today (well , time of submission). That being said you are far away from needing the affidavit of support as this is not a requirement when you submit the petition. Her mother would not be your sponsor, she would be a cosponsor and fiance would be the sponsor. Australia does allow joint sponsors. Have you thought about marrying now and doing the CR1 instead of K1? It would seem to make a LOT more sense in your situation since you are able to be together now. K1 is great for those who are unable to travel to the US without a visa and need time to adjust. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Just now, Luckycuds said:

No, her mother can not predict her future paycheck. They care about what your fiance is making today (well , time of submission). That being said you are far away from needing the affidavit of support as this is not a requirement when you submit the petition. Her mother would not be your sponsor, she would be a cosponsor and fiance would be the sponsor. Australia does allow joint sponsors. Have you thought about marrying now and doing the CR1 instead of K1? It would seem to make a LOT more sense in your situation since you are able to be together now. K1 is great for those who are unable to travel to the US without a visa and need time to adjust. 

Thanks so much! I am not sure why i can't find it anywhere, maybe i am stressing too hard lol. We were considering the CR1 process although considering covid hit her family wouldn't be able to attend the wedding which was so important to us and the CR1 visa process takes longer to leave the country so it would delay us even more as it seems highly unlikely that Australia's international borders will be open to the US by the end of next year and unfortunately they have made that quite clear here. Thanks again for your advice.

If you are living together already, why on earth are you thinking of the K-1? Especially if finances are tight. It's the most expensive route and also means you won't be able to work for more than half a year. Getting approved at the interview with a co-sponsor is one thing, living day-to-day in one of the most expensive countries on earth on that low income is a whole other matter. 

The CR-1 is the best option for you. I see absolutely no benefit to the K-1 for you unless you have a child over 18 but under 21 that you are planning to bring with you. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

7 minutes ago, RM1996 said:

Thanks so much! I am not sure why i can't find it anywhere, maybe i am stressing too hard lol. We were considering the CR1 process although considering covid hit her family wouldn't be able to attend the wedding which was so important to us and the CR1 visa process takes longer to leave the country so it would delay us even more as it seems highly unlikely that Australia's international borders will be open to the US by the end of next year and unfortunately they have made that quite clear here. Thanks again for your advice.

What's more important - other people seeing you get married or your financial and professional future?

Immigration is a long-term decision and requires a lot of long-sightedness, not short-sightedness. Not being able to work for many, many months (and depending on which state you move to you may not be able to drive either) can have a huge financial and mental impact on couples. Take a browse through the site and you will see dozens of threads from people who regret the K-1 and almost none where people regret the CR-1.

Yes, it would be nice to have family at the wedding. But this is your future and your life. Why not have a big celebration later after you immigrate for all the family? A wedding can only take place in one country so one set of family members are either going to have to travel internationally or not be there. There are always compromises to be made in international marriages - for example, you won't both be able to spend Christmas or other events in your homeland every year. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

1 hour ago, RM1996 said:

I was wondering if anyone from Australia has filed for the K1 visa using a co-sponsor? I am trying to find it on the U.S Consulate & Embassy in Australia although it's only stating information about a sponsor in general which would be my partner? i can't find any further info anywhere regarding the joint sponsor. Is this even possible?

My partner is on a student visa at the moment, we are living together in Australia and we are planning on applying in <7 months and trying to gather as much info as possible now. Her mother has requested her to come back to the states to work there for her company as well as me but i understand that it will take months for me to be able to work, which is okay for both of us. If her mum was able to provide a letter of employment stating the amount my partner will earn would that suffice? She has earnt well below the tax threshold to submit any tax returns in the states from here in Australia. Our plan is to go over to the states together. Has anyone ever done this?

If Australia offers the joint sponsor for the K1, would it be easier for her Mother to apply than my partner?

Thanks!

Here is how I see it:

First, I must agree with others, with all your "if this than that" thoughts you would be much better off with a CR-1. Less costly, about the same timeline for the adjudication process and you can work as soon as you arrive.

Second, the income that you present at the interview is his current income. So, I see that he needs to return to the states and begin working for his mother's company in order for him to show sufficient income at the time of the interview.

Third, this is the required EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT for most embassies: You must submit any evidence which will show that you and members of your family who will accompany you are not likely to become public charges while in the United States. Visa petitioner (US Citizen) will have to complete form I-134. If the petitioner does not qualify as a sponsor, a Joint-Sponsor should present (any US Citizen living in the US or Legal Permanent Resident), who will also have to complete form I-134. Both the Sponsor (Petitioner) as well as the Joint-Sponsor, will have to present last year's income tax return transcripts. W2 form and proof of current and sustainable income (e.g., letter of employment on letterhead including salary and start date, most recent salary receipts, bank accounts, the value of properties, etc.). You may download the I-134 affidavit at https://www.uscis.gov/i-134. Bank statements in place of a letter from the bank will work just fine. Print the statement that shows the opening balance for a month and the closing balance for that month. Do that for 12 months—no need to print off all pages of a bank statement.

Get the IRS transcript in place of the actual 1040 here: 

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Use this link to determine the income levels needed https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Good luck and stay engaged. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

3 hours ago, RM1996 said:

Thanks!

If money is such an issue that you will need a joint sponsor, then the K-1 is not a good choice.  Maybe you don't realize this, but after you arrive in the US on a K-1, it will be 6-8 months before you are allowed to work.  Many couples cannot afford to do this, particularly at the start of their careers.  

Also, with COVID and the DOS low priority of K visas, there is not a measurable difference in overall processing times between spousal and fiance visas.  Some approved I-129Fs have been sitting at the NVC since last spring - there is no point to sending them to consulates who are not conducting K-1 interviews.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

If money is such an issue that you will need a joint sponsor, then the K-1 is not a good choice.  Maybe you don't realize this, but after you arrive in the US on a K-1, it will be 6-8 months before you are allowed to work.  Many couples cannot afford to do this, particularly at the start of their careers.  

Also, with COVID and the DOS low priority of K visas, there is not a measurable difference in overall processing times between spousal and fiance visas.  Some approved I-129Fs have been sitting at the NVC since last spring - there is no point to sending them to consulates who are not conducting K-1 interviews.

Just chiming in the 6-8 months to work is being generous. Our cousins fiancé arrived in December and they are STILL awaiting her EAD- no RFE's- completely normal processing for their service center/state right now unfortunately. This is going on 11 months. Fortunately for them she is using this time to learn English.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, RM1996 said:

her family wouldn't be able to attend the wedding which was so important to us

We decided on CR-1 so that my husband's family could attend the wedding even though mine couldn't (way too far away and expensive--Brazil), then after he received his CR-1 visa (11 months from filing the petition to visa in hand, pre-COVID), he entered the US and a week later we had a nice wedding celebration in California that my family attended.  Yes, there are compromises you have to make with international relationships, but you can do things in a way that both families feel like they're a part of the wedding.  Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Edited by carmel34

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.