Thewander

NVC supervisor involved

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

We’ve had so many issues with the Nvc due to them making mistake after mistake. After seeing all sections saying accepted, we got so excited and we’re jumping for joy. Then I saw a message saying I didn’t submit proof of domicile and must submit it. I was/am livid. I called, waited on hold for an hour (yay for international fees) and asked to speak to a supervisor. I told him I had already submitted my tax returns and their website says that’s a form of proof. He sounded half asleep, could barely speak English and couldn’t be less interested in what I had to say. He asked a few questions then said he’d leave a note on our file that sufficient proof had already been submitted and then said they’ll review it. 

I thought a supervisor was able to override and push through the decision? 

does having a supervisor involved and leaving a note make the review happen faster? 

he told me to call back next week and that was it. Just panicked as ireland is about to head into a level 5 lockdown which means the embassy will close again. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

How does a tax return prove domicile inside the US?    EVERY US citizen is required to file income tax....regardless of where he/she lives.  I hope you included more evidence.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

How does a tax return prove domicile inside the US?    EVERY US citizen is required to file income tax....regardless of where he/she lives.  I hope you included more evidence.

He said the tax return was sufficient and provided a note that it was. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Thewander said:

He said the tax return was sufficient and provided a note that it was. 

I hope so......but I would be prepared to find more evidence.  I don't see how a tax return, alone, proves domicile.....good luck.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lucky Cat said:

I hope so......but I would be prepared to find more evidence.  A tax return, alone, does not show domicile, imho......good luck.

I have a valid California license, ballot for the election, current bank account, I told him this and then he approved and said he’d send a note. If it wasn’t enough, wouldn’t he had said it wasn’t? 

Timeline
Just now, Thewander said:

I have a valid California license, ballot for the election, current bank account, I told him this and then he approved and said he’d send a note. If it wasn’t enough, wouldn’t he had said it wasn’t? 

As I said, I don't see how a tax return, alone, proves domicile.......did you send that proof?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

As I said, I don't see how a tax return, alone, proves domicile.......did you send that proof?

The tax return was already submitted and accepted in September 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 hours ago, Thewander said:

But was this proof provided?  We are not talking about providing it verbally.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

But was this proof provided?  We are not talking about providing it verbally.

The tax returns were submitted and the supervisor said that is enough. He then asked about the other things and placed a note in the system that what I submitted is sufficient 

Timeline
Just now, Thewander said:

The tax returns were submitted and the supervisor said that is enough. He then asked about the other things and placed a note in the system that what I submitted is sufficient 

Hopefully, the Consulate Officer (who is the actual approving authority) agrees.  Personally, I would be prepared with more documented proof of domicile at the interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
19 hours ago, Thewander said:

We’ve had so many issues with the Nvc due to them making mistake after mistake. After seeing all sections saying accepted, we got so excited and we’re jumping for joy. Then I saw a message saying I didn’t submit proof of domicile and must submit it. I was/am livid. I called, waited on hold for an hour (yay for international fees) and asked to speak to a supervisor. I told him I had already submitted my tax returns and their website says that’s a form of proof. He sounded half asleep, could barely speak English and couldn’t be less interested in what I had to say. He asked a few questions then said he’d leave a note on our file that sufficient proof had already been submitted and then said they’ll review it. 

I thought a supervisor was able to override and push through the decision? 

does having a supervisor involved and leaving a note make the review happen faster? 

he told me to call back next week and that was it. Just panicked as ireland is about to head into a level 5 lockdown which means the embassy will close again. 

In my case, I had also sent income taxes, I sent the license as proof of residency and they approved.

40 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Hopefully, the Consulate Officer (who is the actual approving authority) agrees.  Personally, I would be prepared with more documented proof of domicile at the interview.

Yeah, the State Department doesn’t consider filing federal taxes to be sufficient. State/local taxes are *one* form of proof, but that’s on a list of many other things.

(https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html#aos22)

I live abroad, and my proof of domicile was accepted by NVC, but I included:

• A letter explaining my domicile

• A copy of my temporary visa for the country I live in

• A copy of my driver’s license 

• Bank account statements

• Voter registration

• A letter from my job stating that my overseas employment is on a temporary, contractual basis

Even if NVC approves what you’ve given them so far, the consular officer at the interview may demand further evidence, so you should be prepared to bring it.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, amerikelinka said:

Yeah, the State Department doesn’t consider filing federal taxes to be sufficient. State/local taxes are *one* form of proof, but that’s on a list of many other things.

(https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html#aos22)

I live abroad, and my proof of domicile was accepted by NVC, but I included:

• A letter explaining my domicile

• A copy of my temporary visa for the country I live in

• A copy of my driver’s license 

• Bank account statements

• Voter registration

• A letter from my job stating that my overseas employment is on a temporary, contractual basis

Even if NVC approves what you’ve given them so far, the consular officer at the interview may demand further evidence, so you should be prepared to bring it.

Thank you, I definitely will. I have an absentee ballot for November elections. Which part of it do I use to prove I voted? I’ll also have my husband bring all of the documents you listed. I’m just a bit baffled that the American citizen has to prove ties. What if you’ve lived out of the US for decades, married and need to move back at some point with your spouse. It’s just strange to me. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Thewander said:

What if you’ve lived out of the US for decades, married and need to move back at some point with your spouse. It’s just strange to me. 

You would have to prove intent to re-establish domicile inside the US.  Green Cards are for living in the US.  In addition, it is a requirement that ALL sponsors are domiciled inside the US.  

There is big difference between citizenship and domicile.

Edited by Lucky Cat

1 minute ago, Thewander said:

Thank you, I definitely will. I have an absentee ballot for November elections. Which part of it do I use to prove I voted?

I’m not sure about the specifics of your ballot, but a maybe a scan if it’s addressed to your name. I just sent them a screen shot from my state’s online voter portal that showed my registration status and registered address.

This burden of proof of domicile is what has worried me the most throughout the process.  NVC had no issues with the documents I sent in, but I’m not sure what will happen at my husband’s interview (it’s this Tuesday!). I can keep you posted, if you want, if any questions about domicile come up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.