frank19910210

Travel using nexus and Global Entry with expired green card

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I know that I cannot travel to Canada right now and it is exacly why I am asking because i don't think Canada would open the border any time soon (surely not before my green card acutally expires). As a result, I want to know if anybody ever had experience travelling to Canada by presenting I-797 along with an expired green card (Especially for someone who originally needs a visa to enter Canada like me) ? 

Also, I have NEXUS and Global Entry. Will that still be working if my green card expires? (Because I remember that I need to scan my green card)

Thanks a lot!

Edited by frank19910210

I-751 --> Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (September 2020) - MM/DD/YYYY

• 09/11/2020 First of 90-day window
  • 09/14/2020 : Sent to USCIS Arizona Lockbox by UPS
  • 09/15/2020 : Arrived at Arizona Lockbox
  • 09/23/2020 : Receipt Msg, Service center: EAC
  • 09/25/2020 : NOA Received, dated 09/18/2020
  • 10/03/2020 : Biometrics waived. Fingerprints from previous petition are applied
  • 04/25/2021 : New Card Is Being Produced

N-400 --> Citizenship application (September 2021) - MM/DD/YYYY

• 09/11/2021 First of 90-day window

59 minutes ago, frank19910210 said:

Hi everyone, 

I know that I cannot travel to Canada right now and it is exacly why I am asking because i don't think Canada would open the border any time soon (surely not before my green card acutally expires). As a result, I want to know if anybody ever had experience travelling to Canada by presenting I-797 along with an expired green card (Especially for someone who originally needs a visa to enter Canada like me) ? 

Also, I have NEXUS and Global Entry. Will that still be working if my green card expires? (Because I remember that I need to scan my green card)

Thanks a lot!

if your i-751 is pending it should automatically extend your green card. you can try infopass to get a i-551 wet stamp in your passport. NEXUS and global entry are irrelevant when it comes to immigration. they are just fast track process through immigration but have no value without valid green card.

Valid Green card holders do not need visa to enter Canada for visiting purposes 

duh

Just now, James120383 said:

if your i-751 is pending it should automatically extend your green card. you can try infopass to get a i-551 wet stamp in your passport. NEXUS and global entry are irrelevant when it comes to immigration. they are just fast track process through immigration but have no value without valid green card.

Valid Green card holders do not need visa to enter Canada for visiting purposes 

Thanks for your reponse.

Yes I know that but the thing is that: first they won't give me a i-551 stamp unless my 18-month extension has passed without a decision on my cas (I hope not lol). Also, they would only extend my identity, but the only physical green card would be expired. And that is why I am asking, because I would need to present the green card at the border, but not sure if they would be accepted.

Also, you mean that I can no longer use NEXUS and GE when I travel to Canada or enter the US from some other countries?

Thanks!

I-751 --> Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (September 2020) - MM/DD/YYYY

• 10/03/2020 : Biometrics waived. Fingerprints from previous petition are applied

1 minute ago, James120383 said:

Read the I-751 receipt document. It should say that green card is automatically extended for 18 months so yeah carrying expired card + i-751 receipt is good.

Okay YES! Thanks a lot! :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I am going against the consensus here.  

https://www.cic.gc.ca/visit-visiter/en/visas 

When I enter the info for a citizen of Colombia who is an LPR of the USA I end up with:

• the passport you'll use to apply for an eTA (i.e. the valid passport from your country of nationality), and
  • your valid Green Card, or
  • your valid ADIT stamp in your passport.

On the return, my experience with Air Canada is that visible minorities get a lot of hassle using unexpired green cards.  My wife had a difficult time on a connecting flight from Calgary to Vancouver on our way to the USA.  I can only imagine the difficulties with an expired green card.  

As for global entry, expired green cards don’t work in kiosks.  See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1838060-global-entry-extended-green-card.html

If your GE membership hasn’t expired, per the above you might be permitted to use the airline crew line.  

I’ve no advice on whether nexus will work.  

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I am going against the consensus here.  

https://www.cic.gc.ca/visit-visiter/en/visas 

When I enter the info for a citizen of Colombia who is an LPR of the USA I end up with:

• the passport you'll use to apply for an eTA (i.e. the valid passport from your country of nationality), and
  • your valid Green Card, or
  • your valid ADIT stamp in your passport.

On the return, my experience with Air Canada is that visible minorities get a lot of hassle using unexpired green cards.  My wife had a difficult time on a connecting flight from Calgary to Vancouver on our way to the USA.  I can only imagine the difficulties with an expired green card.  

As for global entry, expired green cards don’t work in kiosks.  See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1838060-global-entry-extended-green-card.html

If your GE membership hasn’t expired, per the above you might be permitted to use the airline crew line.  

I’ve no advice on whether nexus will work.  

Oh okay thanks a lot for your information. I guess, it is just better to ask the immigration agent at the airport and follow what they say I guess. Since every airports works differently especially under this case.

May I ask how did you and your wife finally figured out the situation?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, frank19910210 said:

May I ask how did you and your wife finally figured out the situation?

At the AC check in counter in yyc the counter worker processed her green card just fine.  

We get through domestic security just fine and wait for our flight to board  We attempt to board and her boarding pass is rejected.  

So we go to the podium, and the first question the gate worker  asks my wife (while the worker is holding her green card in her hand) is “where is your visa to travel to the US?”

So I patiently explained to the worker that a green card is the sole travel document an LPR needs to enter the US. She didn’t buy that and it required three airline employees to finally clear my wife to board.  It is fortunate that we were in an early boarding group.   But it was an embarrassing experience.   

In Vancouver the kiosks refused to let us pass through immigration and we were able to get to talk to a live human CBP officer who processed us in 5 seconds.

So if you can manage to deal with people who understand US immigration law you can have a good experience.  As a white person who had a green card for 30 years and never experienced these problems, I concluded that the difference was my wife’s race and national origin.  We’ve never before experienced racism as a couple in a dozen or so countries. Very disappointed that the first was in my country of birth.  

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

At the AC check in counter in yyc the counter worker processed her green card just fine.  

We get through domestic security just fine and wait for our flight to board  We attempt to board and her boarding pass is rejected.  

So we go to the podium, and the first question the gate worker  asks my wife (while the worker is holding her green card in her hand) is “where is your visa to travel to the US?”

So I patiently explained to the worker that a green card is the sole travel document an LPR needs to enter the US. She didn’t buy that and it required three airline employees to finally clear my wife to board.  It is fortunate that we were in an early boarding group.   But it was an embarrassing experience.   

In Vancouver the kiosks refused to let us pass through immigration and we were able to get to talk to a live human CBP officer who processed us in 5 seconds.

So if you can manage to deal with people who understand US immigration law you can have a good experience.  As a white person who had a green card for 30 years and never experienced these problems, I concluded that the difference was my wife’s race and national origin.  We’ve never before experienced racism as a couple in a dozen or so countries. Very disappointed that the first was in my country of birth.  

I am really sorry to hear about this. But thank you for sharing your experience.

I only know that if you travel to some other countries, or take a small airline you might encounter such situation. But I am just as shocked as you are that Canada, with AC, you would also have such experience.

Luckily there is pre-clearnce in YVR, so they can acutally get a real CBP officer to confirm. Otherwise it would really be a very disatrous experience.

6 hours ago, frank19910210 said:

As a result, I want to know if anybody ever had experience travelling to Canada by presenting I-797 along with an expired green card (Especially for someone who originally needs a visa to enter Canada like me) ?

Canada Border Services Agency knows what GC extension letter is and accepts it with expired GC. But airline employees might not be as knowledgeable:

2 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Canada Border Services Agency knows what GC extension letter is and accepts it with expired GC. But airline employees might not be as knowledgeable:

Thanks a lot for showing me this post. 

Then I think it will have problems if I drive across the border then since I don't have to deal with the airline staff

Just now, HRQX said:

For land entry, they'll accept extension letter with expired GC. eTA is not necessary for land entry.

Okay sure! Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
On 10/17/2020 at 2:14 PM, frank19910210 said:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks a lot!

Regarding global entry, since the green card is expired the system will not recognize your entry. When my husband had his ROC pending he would still go through the global entry line but would get rejected so he walked straight to the immigration officer checking the global entry receipts and would then be sent to secondary screening where he would show his I-551 stamp (which he had obtained because he had lost his expired green card after submitting I-751). Overall this process was still faster then going through the longer immigration line - before covid of course. When he traveled during covid with an I-551 stamp and I-751 pending, because the immigration lines were so quick so he would just go through the regular green card holder lines.

Generally when traveling with a pending I-751, always allow yourself additional time. Even if you have an I-551 stamp, a lot of airport agents wont recognize it and will give you a hassle while they try to figure it out. I assume an I-797 works the same way.

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.