Tima_smiles

IR1/ CR-1 visa .. but I want to quite my job

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline

Hello fellow Visa journeyers! 

(short version)

So my question is.. if I quite my job and go stay with my husband overseas until his interview and we both come back will that be a problem since I already signed the affidavit of support and made enough for this year to support him? Will I need to have a co-sponsor? Will the embassy know I quite my job? 

I am a US citizen petitioning for my husband who is overseas. I am now in the NVC process. I submitted all the paperwork they have asked for. I do make enough to support my husband here in the states. I was overseas with him and returned to America in nov 2019. I only have a tax return for 2019 fi the 3 months I worked. I kept working with my current employer throughout 2020 and made above the requirements to sponsor my husband. Therefore I signed the affidavit of support form. BUT NOW!!! I miss my husband I haven’t seen him in almost a year. My job won’t give me more than 10 continuous days off. And tickets to overseas are very expensive. I want to quite my job and go see him and stay with him until the embassy interview. So my question is.. if I quite my job and go stay with my husband overseas until his interview and we both come back will that be a problem since I already signed the affidavit of support and made enough for this year to support him? Will I need to have a co-sponsor? Will the embassy know I quite my job? 

Edited by Tima_smiles

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Tima_smiles said:

(short version)

So my question is.. if I quite my job and go stay with my husband overseas until his interview and we both come back will that be a problem since I already signed the affidavit of support and made enough for this year to support him? Will I need to have a co-sponsor? Will the embassy know I quite my job? 

I am a US citizen petitioning for my husband who is overseas. I am now in the NVC process. I submitted all the paperwork they have asked for. I do make enough to support my husband here in the states. I was overseas with him and returned to America in nov 2019. I only have a tax return for 2019 fi the 3 months I worked. I kept working with my current employer throughout 2020 and made above the requirements to sponsor my husband. Therefore I signed the affidavit of support form. BUT NOW!!! I miss my husband I haven’t seen him in almost a year. My job won’t give me more than 10 continuous days off. And tickets to overseas are very expensive. I want to quite my job and go see him and stay with him until the embassy interview. So my question is.. if I quite my job and go stay with my husband overseas until his interview and we both come back will that be a problem since I already signed the affidavit of support and made enough for this year to support him? Will I need to have a co-sponsor? Will the embassy know I quite my job? 

Having no present job will mean that your current income will then become zero. Past income becomes  irrelevant .. if this is your plan then get a joint sponsor. Update the I864 and take it to the interview along with the joint sponsor I864 documentation   and explain the change in your situation. Don’t try to go around it .. easily solved and above board by getting a joint sponsor and demonstrating your intention to return to the US by maintaining strong ties such as US voter registration , state drivers licence , local bank branch bank accounts etc 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Tima_smiles said:

(short version)

You would be wise to have a qualified joint sponsor and their financial package already uploaded before the interview.  The Consular Officer will not automatically know you quit your job but will likely ask your spouse about your current employment.  He MUST NOT lie.  When he tells the truth, they will know the truth and that joint sponsor will be needed.

With the long delays now between NVC DQ dates and interviews, I would expect questions about current finances and employment.  Be prepared for just that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tima_smiles said:

(short version)

You will need a joint sponsor to pull this plan off

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.