Ragster

Naturalization for Minors

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello,

Anyone knows what exactly are the documents needed to bring to the post office to issue a minor child's US passport? 

Please note the following:

1. The child is a legal permanent resident already residing in the US 

2. The child's passport will be based on the naturalization of an LPR mother.

3. The child has been adopted by a US citizen step-parent.

4. The child's name has been changed (through a court order) due to adoption by a US citizen step-parent.

5. The child's Green Card, passport, admission visa and foreign birth certificate ALL show the child's PREVIOUS last name (which as changed by a court order). The child's social security card, dependent ID card, as well as the court order show the child's NEW last name. The child's FIRST name has NOT been changed. The Mother's name remains consistent on all the documents.

6. The child has been in the legal and physical custody of the LPR mother since birth

If anybody has an idea about this very particular situation, please let me know.

Thank you all in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to Passports, from IR1/CR1 P&P - as the OP is asking about passports.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

14 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

The child will automatically become a US citizen upon the mother's naturalization. 

You'd need to bring the mother's naturalization certificate and the child's green card to the post office 

You can get mom's and child's passport at the same time 

Timeline
2 hours ago, little immigrant said:

You'd need to bring the mother's naturalization certificate and the child's green card to the post office 

You can get mom's and child's passport at the same time 

The issue is his name on his green card would be different from the name in the adoption papers. How do I explain to them that both names are for the same person?

Timeline
Just now, Ragster said:

The issue is his name on his green card would be different from the name in the adoption papers. How do I explain to them that both names are for the same person?

I don't wanna wait 5-7 months until they issue him a new green card with the new name before I can go apply for a passport for him (USCIS is backlogged right now since Covid slowed everything down). Any way around this?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Ragster said:

A certified copy of the court order allowing the name change.  That provides the legal explanation that both names belong to the same person.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

A certified copy of the court order allowing the name change.  That provides the legal explanation that both names belong to the same person.

I'm definitely bringing that along, but won't the difference in names on his green card / court order be an issue. Also, I was thinking of filing form I-90 on his behalf immediately to update the name on his green card, but that'd mean I'd have to wait 8-10 months for the new GC to arrive in the mail. Also, if I file I-90 I will HAVE to send in his current original GC. So, if I show up with no GC for him at all (which would be in USCIS's possession in that case), it might complicate matters even more. What would you suggest:

OPTION A: refrain from updating the GC and go with his current GC that reflects his old last name + bring court order along

OPTION B: File I-90 and bring proof of filing + his foreign passport + immigration visa + copy of GC + court order

Please let me know what seems to be less problematic. Keeping in mind that USCIS requires immigrants to update their GCs once a change in name occurs. Also there may be a gap of about 6 months between the issuance of the adoption court order and me actually obtaining my own naturalization certificate (which would be the basis of this whole process).

Thank you so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 hours ago, Ragster said:

I'm definitely bringing that along, but won't the difference in names on his green card / court order be an issue. Also, I was thinking of filing form I-90 on his behalf immediately to update the name on his green card, but that'd mean I'd have to wait 8-10 months for the new GC to arrive in the mail. Also, if I file I-90 I will HAVE to send in his current original GC. So, if I show up with no GC for him at all (which would be in USCIS's possession in that case), it might complicate matters even more. What would you suggest:

OPTION A: refrain from updating the GC and go with his current GC that reflects his old last name + bring court order along

OPTION B: File I-90 and bring proof of filing + his foreign passport + immigration visa + copy of GC + court order

Please let me know what seems to be less problematic. Keeping in mind that USCIS requires immigrants to update their GCs once a change in name occurs. Also there may be a gap of about 6 months between the issuance of the adoption court order and me actually obtaining my own naturalization certificate (which would be the basis of this whole process).

Thank you so much.

You have a court order for a name change, why not at least try to get the passport in the new name at the same time as the mother? Shouldn't be an issue at all.

You shouldn’t file to renew a green card if he is a citizen already, which he is on the mother’s naturalization. The official name change documents will do. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.